• Nov 9th, 2019 3:35 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2931 posts
1224 upvotes
Waterloo
Gtsourapis wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 1:21 pm
Is anyone who has installed this new thermometer not happy with it? Has anyone who has installed one of these thermostats seen a rise in their gas bill? After installing this about a month ago I received a letter from enbridge Yesterday stating that I’m consuming more than the average in my area.
So you consume more energy than average but you haven't told us if you consumed more energy compared to before. This new thermostat can be saving you energy AND you're still consuming more than average. Your house could just be really inefficient. Can't fault the thermostat for that.
Jan 22, 2018
130 posts
38 upvotes
Just saying that I have never received a letter like this before. Installed the new thermometer last month and here is the letter
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29297 posts
15153 upvotes
Ottawa
Gtsourapis wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 7:33 pm
Just saying that I have never received a letter like this before. Installed the new thermometer last month and here is the letter
How much did you use?
Who cares about the damn letter!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1311 posts
359 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 5:09 pm
The $100 bill credit took two billing cycles to show up for me.
you are lucky.
i applied 3 months ago and didn't get anything.
called enbridge this afternoon and the csr couldn't find any info. he asked for the details and sent a request to somewhere..wtf...
Feb 6, 2013
106 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 4:44 pm
Then you don't need a tstat...LMAO!
LMFAOO!!
Feb 6, 2013
106 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 4:46 pm
It's one of the programs paid for by the carbon tax.
This is the answer I guess, thanks buddy
May 6, 2017
40 posts
i had been thinking about this , any cons for them to install? Do they get into controlling your thermostat afterwards - temperature wise?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16656 posts
9012 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ghibli0490 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 12:01 am
i had been thinking about this , any cons for them to install?
Everyone's taxes go up to pay for this "free" program. Of course even if you don't install, everyone's taxes, including yours, still go up for the same reason.

Do they get into controlling your thermostat afterwards - temperature wise?
These are standard EcoBee, Nest, etc. thermostats. They connect to the Internet. So they can be hacked. I'd imagine EcoBee and Nest (owned by Google), etc. can collect usage statistics. But AFAIK the province has no direct access or control over your "free" thermostat.

Welcome to the brave new world of IoT.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 12, 2014
38 posts
7 upvotes
Windsor
Just a heads up to anyone who has recently booked a date online, their online booking was experiencing issues the last few days and wasn't actually reserving a date even though one showed as booked. I took the day off work for the installation and nobody showed up, when I finally got through on the phone that's when they told me about the problem. I had to re-book over the phone, and now they can't come for another month and a half.

So, if you booked recently it might be a good idea to call in and follow up on the appointment.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29297 posts
15153 upvotes
Ottawa
chab009 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 7:44 am
Just a heads up to anyone who has recently booked a date online, their online booking was experiencing issues the last few days and wasn't actually reserving a date even though one showed as booked. I took the day off work for the installation and nobody showed up, when I finally got through on the phone that's when they told me about the problem. I had to re-book over the phone, and now they can't come for another month and a half.

So, if you booked recently it might be a good idea to call in and follow up on the appointment.
Though you're "officially" booked, don't leave work until you get a phone call from the installer confirming the time.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4172 posts
822 upvotes
Wat
chab009 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 7:44 am

This is true.. When they didn't show, I called and luckily they had an appointment available for the next day (Sunday).
Feb 11, 2017
153 posts
101 upvotes
The ecobee is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Having said that, for me it replaced a dumb conventional thermostat so I am not sure how it compares to Nest.

This post isn't very helpful I guess :(
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2011 posts
744 upvotes
I'm thinking of going with the Nest as I don't care as much for the room sensors.
But I have a feeling I might consume more as my 7 day programmer tstat is setup to be "off" during work hours, but now I have someone roaming around the home during those times.
Nov 6, 2013
30 posts
18 upvotes
Ancaster
Nest had sensors now too. Well to preorder. 3 for $ 125.
Dec 6, 2008
245 posts
136 upvotes
Ontario
If asked already i apologize...which of the 3 is considered the best.