[GreenOn] ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 3:35 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
1117 posts
1023 upvotes
Whitby
Of the three choices which thermostat is the best??? Recommendations anyone?

ecobee3 lite, Honeywell Lyric T6 and Nest Thermostat E
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21091 posts
10551 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Ah1800 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 8:46 am
The ecobee is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Having said that, for me it replaced a dumb conventional thermostat so I am not sure how it compares to Nest.

This post isn't very helpful I guess :(
i like your goat avatar though
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Nov 11, 2006
710 posts
258 upvotes
Do you need the c-wire to install the nest, or will they install a power extender for you?

Also, do they take your previous smart thermostat or will they let you keep it?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16684 posts
6534 upvotes
Oakville
dantey wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 8:58 am
I'm thinking of going with the Nest as I don't care as much for the room sensors.
But I have a feeling I might consume more as my 7 day programmer tstat is setup to be "off" during work hours, but now I have someone roaming around the home during those times.
Pretty sure you can still tell the Nest to stay off during those times even if somebody is home.
dyalect wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 9:39 am

Hockeyman888 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 9:13 am
If asked already i apologize...which of the 3 is considered the best.
It's between Ecobee and Nest. Ecobee has better integration with SmartThings if you've got other home automation stuff, and it's a Canadian company if that matters to you (it should). I think Nest integrates better with the Apple world though? Homekit, maybe? I can't remember, as I don't use that shit so I never looked into it too much. SmartThings integration was what mattered to me.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Sep 4, 2007
932 posts
336 upvotes
Bought a new Nest 3rd gen for $240 after tax on Ebay, can get $100 rebate from Greenon so $140 after all said and done. Have no installed it yet.
Debating whether I should sell it and go for the free ecobee lite instead ...I do like the style/interface of the regular Nest though
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
1117 posts
1023 upvotes
Whitby
wearysky wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 9:49 am
Pretty sure you can still tell the Nest to stay off during those times even if somebody is home.

>>

Here is handy article. I think I will be going with the Ecobee. Thanks.

https://www.howtogeek.com/259644/nest-v ... d-you-buy/

It's between Ecobee and Nest. Ecobee has better integration with SmartThings if you've got other home automation stuff, and it's a Canadian company if that matters to you (it should). I think Nest integrates better with the Apple world though? Homekit, maybe? I can't remember, as I don't use that shit so I never looked into it too much. SmartThings integration was what mattered to me.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2314 posts
494 upvotes
LyGuy wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 9:52 am
Bought a new Nest 3rd gen for $240 after tax on Ebay, can get $100 rebate from Greenon so $140 after all said and done. Have no installed it yet.
Debating whether I should sell it and go for the free ecobee lite instead ...I do like the style/interface of the regular Nest though
I returned my Ecobee 3 lite to Homedepot to get the free product + installation. But the waiting time... ugh.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29527 posts
15372 upvotes
Ottawa
LyGuy wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 9:52 am
After it's installed and setup; you'll likely never touch it again!
I never make anymore changes on the physical unit, as everything an be done via the app.
May 21, 2011
74 posts
81 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 3:56 pm
These "smart" tstats as is will save you nothing after all said and done.
I have been using the Ecobee with sensors since 2014 and saw $0 in savings!
The only theroritical savings, is not allowing me to forget to turn off the heat/ac when I'm away/
You got that right. This smart program is just a divisionary tactic by the government away from the real culprit and that is the monopoly supplier of gas like Enbridge with their high gas bills and the forced water heater rentals providers like Cricket who bill you monthly min $25 on Enbridge bills but provide no monthly service (just a pure cash grab). I too have Nest and everyday it gives some kind of bogus report about how much it 'saved' because I was away from the house for an hour. Just like the high cost of electricity where you have to do laundry at all kinds of odd hours to save.
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 9:39 am

The person who install my thermostat told me that the majority chose Nest and ecobee is next popular. Almost none for Honeywell
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9430 posts
984 upvotes
GTA
Do you need wifi/internet connection for these to work or can they be used without internet access as well? I was thinking of requesting's for my parent's house but they currently don't have internet (plan is to eventually get internet and teach them more on how to use it). Anyone know if internet access is required for this program too (I understood that they are allowed to collect some data as part of the program).
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
dantey wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 8:58 am
I'm thinking of going with the Nest as I don't care as much for the room sensors.
But I have a feeling I might consume more as my 7 day programmer tstat is setup to be "off" during work hours, but now I have someone roaming around the home during those times.
You can turn off the activity sensors in the Nest app. It will then use your phone location only to decide if you are away from home and set to ECO mode. Of course, the person inside your house while you are away can always set the temperature back to normal mode by adjusting the Nest device
Last edited by tempchum on Mar 22nd, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 4, 2007
932 posts
336 upvotes
rapashoo wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 10:09 am
I returned my Ecobee 3 lite to Homedepot to get the free product + installation. But the waiting time... ugh.
The ecobee lite is exactly what you're getting in the GreenOn program, so it makes sense to return and wait to get it for free. Plus there isn't much difference between the lite and non-lite version.
But I bought the regular Nest which has a different phyiscal design than the Nest-E, and probably more features.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16684 posts
6534 upvotes
Oakville
YLSF wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 10:18 am
Do you need wifi/internet connection for these to work or can they be used without internet access as well? I was thinking of requesting's for my parent's house but they currently don't have internet (plan is to eventually get internet and teach them more on how to use it). Anyone know if internet access is required for this program too (I understood that they are allowed to collect some data as part of the program).
They aren't collecting any data. The thermostat companies do, but that's unrelated to this program, they colelct it from everyone that has one.

If you don't have internet, it kinda defeats many of the smart aspects of the thermostat. You can still use it on the wall but none of the other features will work (including app access).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Aug 23, 2005
372 posts
134 upvotes
Ontario
I went for the Ecobee for these reasons over the Nest:
  1. Full colour LCD
  2. 3 year warranty vs 1 for the nest
  3. Local weather forecast built-in
  4. Canadian company
Overall it works really well and the app is easy to use on Android.

One thing I don't really care for is the black colour of the unit. It's more of an aesthetic nitpick but it really stands in stark contrast to my nearby ERV control and light switch which are off-white. Also, it comes with a mounting plate that you can use to hide previous mounting drill holes from your old thermostat but the plate is also white.