Expired Hot Deals

[GreenOn] ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 10:32 pm
May 21, 2011
71 posts
77 upvotes
slightly off topic..I had the Nest thermostat installed in feb this year by Green ON. I was checking my Hydro Ottawa electricity bills and it shows the thermostat fan to have consumed a lot more electricity than last year when I did not have the Nest. Maybe the jump in electricity is due to other reasons, but has anyone else who has installed a smart thermostat noticed any difference in their electricity bills since installation?
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
canin40 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 1:08 pm
slightly off topic..I had the Nest thermostat installed in feb this year by Green ON. I was checking my Hydro Ottawa electricity bills and it shows the thermostat fan to have consumed a lot more electricity than last year when I did not have the Nest. Maybe the jump in electricity is due to other reasons, but has anyone else who has installed a smart thermostat noticed any difference in their electricity bills since installation?
I would check the "Fan Schedule" in the Nest app to see if it's set to run at designated times everyday. Suppose it should be off and controlled by Nest automatically when it's needed, unless you want to run at specific time.

After installing Nest, my Enbridge bill dropped by 30% and electricity bill dropped by 5%
Jul 25, 2008
115 posts
10 upvotes
Oshawa
Does the technician take the existing thermostat with them or leave it behind?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14580 upvotes
Ottawa
Maximus_ wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:22 pm
Mine was taken with them.
Jul 4, 2009
330 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Maximus_ wrote:
They take it with them, i would suggest putting a cheap one in temporarily if you have an expensive one so they take that one instead.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14580 upvotes
Ottawa
tempchum wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 1:33 pm
I would check the "Fan Schedule" in the Nest app to see if it's set to run at designated times everyday. Suppose it should be off and controlled by Nest automatically when it's needed, unless you want to run at specific time.

After installing Nest, my Enbridge bill dropped by 30% and electricity bill dropped by 5%
Did you set your temps too high 24/7, prior to installing a smart tsat?
Nov 22, 2016
87 posts
36 upvotes
Maximus_ wrote:
They take it. Not sure why.
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:30 pm
Did you set your temps too high 24/7, prior to installing a smart tsat?
Nope. Actually, the night time temperature is 1 degree celcius higher in the Nest setup. I think the savings mainly came from Nest sensing my absence from home and set to eco mode, unlike the old thermostat setting the temperature on a set schedule which also included a fixed "Away" schedule.
Last edited by tempchum on Mar 28th, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14580 upvotes
Ottawa
tempchum wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:36 pm
Nope. Actually, the night time temperature is 1 degree celcius higher in the Nest setup
Then how does a smart tstat that simply controls when your furnace/ac turns on and off can save you 30%.
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:38 pm
Then how does a smart tstat that simply controls when your furnace/ac turns on and off can save you 30%.
Maybe it "learns" my activity better than the old thermostat.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16406 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
luv4deals wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:33 pm
They take it. Not sure why.
My off-the-top-of-my-hat guesses:
1. To "prove" that they actually replaced an eligible thermostat. (Although cheaters could buy used thermostats at places like Re-Store for a few bucks.)
2, To help analyse projected energy savings. Presumably the savings from replacing a set-back thermostat are much less than from replacing old-style electromechanical ones.
3. To safely dispose the mercury in old-style electromechanical thermostats that operate using a mercury switch attached to a bi-metal coil.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 8, 2007
83 posts
7 upvotes
Happy to confirm that this is the real deal. Had our new Ecobee 3 installed last week and it's working well, synced up with my iPhone. We selected the Ecobee due to the availability of room sensors which we can purchase in addition. The existing thermostat was left behind, although the installer told me not to mention that if asked. Very good program.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14580 upvotes
Ottawa
tempchum wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 2:41 pm
Maybe it "learns" my activity better than the old thermostat.
That's what I'm saying.
If you saw that much of a decrease, means you had your furnance or ac running too hot or too cold and during times you are not home.
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 3:17 pm
That's what I'm saying.
If you saw that much of a decrease, means you had your furnance or ac running too hot or too cold and during times you are not home.
That's obvious the advantage of "Smart" thermostats comparing to old thermostats that worked on strict "schedules". Nest "Learns" by itself to save $ for me.
May 30, 2017
10 posts
I got an ecobee 3 installed tonight and connected it to my google home. Fantastic!