Expired Hot Deals

[GreenOn] ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 4:28 pm
Sep 9, 2005
998 posts
65 upvotes
GTA
When I register, it keeps on saying "Your address already exists."...
What does it mean?Black Question Mark Ornament I never register before :rolleyes:
Apr 1, 2009
98 posts
44 upvotes
tokiwadai wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 10:02 pm
When I register, it keeps on saying "Your address already exists."...
What does it mean?Black Question Mark Ornament I never register before :rolleyes:
I got same thing during the day. I called their service line and was told their system is down and I have to try it later.
Aug 8, 2007
132 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
My Nest was installed today, just 10 days after registering for the program. That's got to be a record for our bureaucrats!

The installers were in my house for a total of 15 minutes. While one guy installed the thermostat, the other ran me through a questionnaire about our energy use, number of people in the home, etc. As an aside, the installer mentioned that over 140,000 people have registered for the program, and this pair was averaging about 10 installs per day, so it may take a while for them to get your install.
Jul 24, 2007
46 posts
1 upvote
waterloo
I initially signed up in August when it was first launched. I left them a voice mail last week they got back to me with my install booked for next Wednesday for my Nest install!!! YAY finally
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20955 posts
10299 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
people that signed up in August getting later install dates than people that signed up last week

my tax dollars hard at work
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Oct 24, 2003
843 posts
256 upvotes
North York
I applied last year and got the appointment last week. However, I was not so lucky and the technician refused to install the Ecobee thermostat on the account of 2 things:

1. There was a delay between increasing the temperature on our existing Honeywell thermostat, and the actual start of the furnace. He told us our furnace has a problem, and we need to get someone to look at it before they can install it.
2. There is a wiring issue (I guess 4 wires versus 5 wire).

I call BS on both (in a nice way) and told him the delay is normal. According the Honeywell website, Honeywell TH4000 series thermostat can delay up to 5 minutes for the heat to start. The delay is in place to prevent short cycling which can damage equipment. As for the wiring issue, the package comes with a PEK man.. Clearly, the guy wanted to go home early and did not even want to install it for us. Furthermore, when he was complaining that our thermostat/furnace was not working, he kept slamming his hand against our thermostat. Just horrible service overall. Spoke with GreenON to file this incident, they are going to schedule another appointment for me. I'm praying I do not get the same guy.
Jan 14, 2007
962 posts
87 upvotes
My furnace has a really long delay before the fan's running at full speed. I believe it has a variable speed motor and it starts out at a very low speed. It takes about an hour before it kicks in at full speed. Once the temperature is up to set point, it keeps the temperature pretty much constant and you hardly know the furnace is running. I believe it's the furnace that controls this as the operation didn't change when I changed the thermostat with another standard thermostat.

I hope the installer doesn't give me a problem when he comes to install my smart thermostat.
Apr 24, 2013
570 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if they will be able to move the thermostat to the opposite side of the wall, to be in a different room?

X |wall| Y

so from X to Y for example.

I know its a bit more complicated...
I got Fido and Public Mobile. If anyone has any questions 😃
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1047 posts
274 upvotes
no way jose they just put thermostat in place of other thermostat unless you do wiring before hand for rough in :) just like they don't do custom backplates or anything fancy or anything close to custom made jobs as this free upgrade only covers the basics
Apr 24, 2013
570 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
smoraes wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 7:49 pm
no way jose they just put thermostat in place of other thermostat unless you do wiring before hand for rough in :) just like they don't do custom backplates or anything fancy or anything close to custom made jobs as this free upgrade only covers the basics
What is your experience? did you ask them? or can you show me a post where someone else asked them?
I got Fido and Public Mobile. If anyone has any questions 😃
Jan 14, 2007
962 posts
87 upvotes
john5170 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 7:44 pm
Does anyone know if they will be able to move the thermostat to the opposite side of the wall, to be in a different room?
It would be easy enough to move the thermostat to the other side of the wall if you install it directly behind the existing location. Not sure if the installer would do that for you. You might want to do it yourself before the installer comes to install your smart thermostat. Of course you'd have to patch the hole where the thermostat was initially installed.
Jan 24, 2010
56 posts
45 upvotes
GTA
If you get the ecobee3lite and you miss/want the time on your idle display, then contact ecobee or go to reddit site below, that is watched by ecobee rep, and you can request the firmware update pushed to your device before this summer.

I requested on reddit, and the rep updated within 24 hours and I am soo happy now! The thread starts about ecobee4, but it is relevant for the 3lite which we get.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comment ... lay_clock/
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20955 posts
10299 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jimmyzaas wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 4:35 pm
I applied last year and got the appointment last week. However, I was not so lucky and the technician refused to install the Ecobee thermostat on the account of 2 things:

1. There was a delay between increasing the temperature on our existing Honeywell thermostat, and the actual start of the furnace. He told us our furnace has a problem, and we need to get someone to look at it before they can install it.
2. There is a wiring issue (I guess 4 wires versus 5 wire).

I call BS on both (in a nice way) and told him the delay is normal. According the Honeywell website, Honeywell TH4000 series thermostat can delay up to 5 minutes for the heat to start. The delay is in place to prevent short cycling which can damage equipment. As for the wiring issue, the package comes with a PEK man.. Clearly, the guy wanted to go home early and did not even want to install it for us. Furthermore, when he was complaining that our thermostat/furnace was not working, he kept slamming his hand against our thermostat. Just horrible service overall. Spoke with GreenON to file this incident, they are going to schedule another appointment for me. I'm praying I do not get the same guy.
Should have just told the man to piss off, leave the tstat and install it yourself. He should have been able to install that ecobee no problem.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1598 posts
1044 upvotes
after countless "not in your area messages" and waiting 3/4 of a year I finally have an install date ... the end of June ... LOL