Expired Hot Deals

[GreenOn] ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 10:32 pm
Aug 19, 2006
51 posts
15 upvotes
Registered a week ago and got installed today. So fast. They said it was pilot project before so that's why now much faster.
Ordered Nest as first choice but no go as i had multistage HE furnace (Carrier Infinity) and only Eco bee will work.
Happy with Eco bee and hooked it up to google home too in a minute.

Wanted to keep old thermostat but they were very sticky and said couldn't and had to take the one on there and working with furnace now. I had older one that i wanted to give but no go. They were going to just walk out. I said i'll install the older one on but they had no time. They were nice enough to come back in 30 min but i couldn't get the old old one working as not Mulit Stage compatible. They gave me a hard time and said even though fan worked it didn't kick in the multi stage so NO GO.... pleaded and he did alternative test to test furnace ok with that thermostat and he let let it go... So moral is change any older thermostat before hand or else they may just walk away.

This is just a novelty i think and will prob not save any money in the long run.... but hell, it's free so why not.

For Google home you can say "what is the temperature in the house", "set temperature to 23 degrees" or you can use app and wifi to control it too.
Remember this is the Eco Bee Lite so NO ALEXA built in nor free sensors.. But no biggy.
Aug 8, 2007
134 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
john5170 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 7:44 pm
Does anyone know if they will be able to move the thermostat to the opposite side of the wall, to be in a different room?

X |wall| Y

so from X to Y for example.

I know its a bit more complicated...
I asked them to move the wire just to the other side of the wall stud (to align the thermostat with a light switch) and their answer was "GreenON will not let us do anything other than replace the thermostat".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5406 posts
1577 upvotes
Space
They will if you pay them. They only get paid to wire it up.
miguel sanchez wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 11:04 pm
I asked them to move the wire just to the other side of the wall stud (to align the thermostat with a light switch) and their answer was "GreenON will not let us do anything other than replace the thermostat".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5406 posts
1577 upvotes
Space
I wanted the Ecobee but due to my 2 wire setup we had to get the Nest. Not a huge fan of the Nest but it’s better than what was originally there. Thank you tax payers ! ( aka myself ).
Nov 28, 2014
26 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Signed up last week and got an install date for tomorrow in North York. I'm not sure if I have a C-wire so hopefully the ecobee is compatible and the installation goes through.
Sep 30, 2010
50 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 12:28 am
I wanted the Ecobee but due to my 2 wire setup we had to get the Nest. Not a huge fan of the Nest but it’s better than what was originally there. Thank you tax payers ! ( aka myself ).
Same here, only 2 wires, they installed yesterday and now my furnace is keep shutting down. They told me to call them back if it happened because the Nest uses the power from the furnace. My first choice was eco bee and I asked about the PEK wire, but it was a no go.

Now I am on the phone holding for 50mins already, does anyone they are working on Good Friday? My house is 18degree and they did not willing to leave the old thermostat so I might have to buy one till they come...
Feb 6, 2017
51 posts
6 upvotes
Signed up to original program 6 MONTHS AGO! Scheduled install date Mar 21 and no one showed or called. Have since emailed twice, called twice, and nothing. Getting frustrated, not worth the $200 savings IMO.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2022 posts
171 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
h741108 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 9:51 am
Same here, only 2 wires, they installed yesterday and now my furnace is keep shutting down. They told me to call them back if it happened because the Nest uses the power from the furnace. My first choice was eco bee and I asked about the PEK wire, but it was a no go.

Now I am on the phone holding for 50mins already, does anyone they are working on Good Friday? My house is 18degree and they did not willing to leave the old thermostat so I might have to buy one till they come...
If you received a Nest, I would call Nest to troubleshoot.

Does it turn on for a bit, the go off? Over and over? Or if it hasn't turned on since they installed, maybe they left the furnace switch off?

I would google your symptoms. They really don't touch a lot switching the t-stat out, so it has to be a simple fix. Unless it's a faulty unit of course.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2022 posts
171 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
02xtreme12 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 10:31 am
Signed up to original program 6 MONTHS AGO! Scheduled install date Mar 21 and no one showed or called. Have since emailed twice, called twice, and nothing. Getting frustrated, not worth the $200 savings IMO.
Their installers from what I was told, do both commercial and residential and they flip them from week to week and don't tell the call center. I was booked and then they never showed, because he was commercial that week but they didn't know. All in all, I didn't complain. It was free.
Feb 28, 2016
527 posts
179 upvotes
I switched my wiring from my furnace over from 4 wire to 5 so I wouldn't have any issues. Im now scheduled for next Friday, I was originally booked for April 1st but someting came up and I couldn't make it. It was a bit of a hassle with them but I got it rescheduled
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5406 posts
1577 upvotes
Space
That’s weird. I’m having zero issues fortunately. It may be incorrectly installed or the Nest unit maybe faulty. My installer let me keep my original thermostat but yes they are suppose to take them from you. All they do is dispose of them anyways.
h741108 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 9:51 am

Sep 7, 2014
575 posts
616 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
I have my install today but they haven't showed up yet...not sure if they are actually installing today due to the holiday? I booked it months ago so wasn't aware it was Good Friday...

Am I boned?
Dec 20, 2005
229 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
Installers just left! Overall the whole process was quite painless. Signed up last year, got an email to book my appointment a couple of weeks ago and managed to get a convenient appointment for a holiday Friday! I was a bit skeptical that they would show up given it's a holiday, but they did. Also had good experience confirming the appointment when I saw in the thread that some bookings were a no-show due to some technical glitch on the website. When I called to confirm the system had my appointment the person I spoke with was professional and I didn't have to wait on hold for very long. And I ended up also emailing to confirm the appointment and they called me back that same afternoon (I think within 30-60 minutes).

The installers were very professional and helpful. Unfortunately I couldn't get the Ecobee due to the wiring situation (don't have a fan wire leading to the thermostat), but happy with the Nest since it looks great on my light coloured hallway wall. While the installer looked at the furnace, his partner walked me through a survey and took care of the admin stuff. I had put aside my old thermostat for them to take away (rather than the current one) and they didn't have a problem with my request. They also helped me with the installation and set-up through the Nest app; gave me some tips and information/box for warranty all in about 30 minutes. Even though I ended up with the Nest, I really appreciated that the installer did his best to figure out if there was a way we could install the Ecobee (he called another installer and tried using the Ecobee website to check compatibility), but I honestly didn't have a strong preference either way (just wanted to support a Canadian company which they said a lot of people mentioned as the reason for choosing Ecobee over Nest).

This is a nice upgrade from what I had before and definitely happy with the experience.
Dec 20, 2005
229 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
ChippewaBarr wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 3:12 pm
I have my install today but they haven't showed up yet...not sure if they are actually installing today due to the holiday? I booked it months ago so wasn't aware it was Good Friday...

Am I boned?
My installer guys just left! Maybe they are headed over to you now! LOL
Sep 30, 2010
50 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
cyphon21 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 11:23 am
If you received a Nest, I would call Nest to troubleshoot.

Does it turn on for a bit, the go off? Over and over? Or if it hasn't turned on since they installed, maybe they left the furnace switch off?

I would google your symptoms. They really don't touch a lot switching the t-stat out, so it has to be a simple fix. Unless it's a faulty unit of course.
I set on 20degree, It will turn on for 5mins and shut it off, then I will hear the furnace trying to restart but would not power on (at this point I will turn the heat off on the nest cuz it sounds scary). Also it would not turn on at all if I turn up above 21degree.

I called Nest support and he asked me to switch the two wires Rc/W1 to see if it will fixed the problem, if not called them back, it might be insufficient power or faulty Nest unit.