Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
cauliflower18 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 3:15 pm
My installer guys just left! Maybe they are headed over to you now! LOL
Literally just showed up as soon as I got this message haha
Jan 20, 2004
690 posts
125 upvotes
If you are able to go into the nest unit or app, check Technical Info and the Power setting, is the first voltage close to 3.9v?

If it is less than 3.7v, pull the nest unit off the wall, plug in a micro USB charger to it to charge it up full, then out the nest unit back on the wall to see if you still have problems.

If you don't have the C wire the Nest unit pulses your system to recharge the battery.
Dec 21, 2004
37 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Registered Mar 23, booked appointment online Mar 26. I never phoned to confirm it and didn't have any submission ID in the confirmation email, only a confirmation ID. Just got the Ecobee installed today, only 7 days later. Installer knew to install PEK due to lack of C wire (only had 4 wires) and took old thermostat away. Whole experience was great.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5406 posts
1577 upvotes
Space
Go to technical info> power, what is your thermostat reading? It should be close to 3.8v I believe.
h741108 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 3:35 pm
I set on 20degree, It will turn on for 5mins and shut it off, then I will hear the furnace trying to restart but would not power on (at this point I will turn the heat off on the nest cuz it sounds scary). Also it would not turn on at all if I turn up above 21degree.

I called Nest support and he asked me to switch the two wires Rc/W1 to see if it will fixed the problem, if not called them back, it might be insufficient power or faulty Nest unit.
Sep 30, 2010
50 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Ryus wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 5:04 pm
If you are able to go into the nest unit or app, check Technical Info and the Power setting, is the first voltage close to 3.9v?

If it is less than 3.7v, pull the nest unit off the wall, plug in a micro USB charger to it to charge it up full, then out the nest unit back on the wall to see if you still have problems.

If you don't have the C wire the Nest unit pulses your system to recharge the battery.
Yes, Nest support guy on the phone confirmed the battery, Voc Vin Iin numbers were all ok when it was running. It was 3.8 and 20. It did get a bit better after I switched W1/Rc wire, but I think you are right, it probably pulses the system to get recharging.

Hope Green on will come back to do PEK or install a c wire for me, since the technician did not want to do it at the first place, will find out after holiday.
Apr 8, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Anyone live in a smaller town outside of GTA and had one of these installed? I've had trouble getting appointment scheduled as there are hardly any technicians in the area. Located in Listowel
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6254 posts
736 upvotes
Toronto
mstojcic wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 10:22 pm
Anyone live in a smaller town outside of GTA and had one of these installed? I've had trouble getting appointment scheduled as there are hardly any technicians in the area. Located in Listowel
I suppose they'd have to come all the way from Wroxeter or Bluevale (my home town)...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24026 posts
4311 upvotes
What's the best thermostat in this group? Is there any post here outlining the differences and advantages/disadvantages? I signed up for this way back when and they sent me an email in January saying I could make my app't but never did. Then cleaning out emails today I noticed I got one again on the 17th that said if I don't reply in 10 days (the 27th!) they'd remove me as I was no longer interested :eek:

So I quickly went on and saw if I could still schedule and thankfully I was able to...made app't for April :)

I put in the order of Ecobee, Nest, and then the Honeywell one but honestly I have little clue about any of them except I always thought the Nest was an overpriced gimmicky unit, lol, and that was like the first gen when I even looked into it.

It seems like you can edit/change the order of it after making the app't though so I just made the appointment first and am asking questions (about the thermostats) now, lol.
May 18, 2007
604 posts
81 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 31st, 2018 1:16 pm
What's the best thermostat in this group? Is there any post here outlining the differences and advantages/disadvantages? I signed up for this way back when and they sent me an email in January saying I could make my app't but never did. Then cleaning out emails today I noticed I got one again on the 17th that said if I don't reply in 10 days (the 27th!) they'd remove me as I was no longer interested :eek:

So I quickly went on and saw if I could still schedule and thankfully I was able to...made app't for April :)

I put in the order of Ecobee, Nest, and then the Honeywell one but honestly I have little clue about any of them except I always thought the Nest was an overpriced gimmicky unit, lol, and that was like the first gen when I even looked into it.

It seems like you can edit/change the order of it after making the app't though so I just made the appointment first and am asking questions (about the thermostats) now, lol.
For me its a easy decision, the Nest. reason:

1) Nest is a Google product. 2) Nest will release Nest Sensor (like the Ecobee sensor) product line on April that is working with Nest E.

Although I am a Canadian, I should support Canadian products, but I have learned enough lessons from Nortel, BB already.
Last edited by pr3dat0r on Mar 31st, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 20, 2004
690 posts
125 upvotes
Definitely the top two units are the ecobee and nest.

I went with the nest, but there a a few quirks that bug me. First i don't use the schedule learning option. I set the temperature schedule manually and use the home/away assist to change to the energy saving temp when it senses no one or the phones to be out of the house. It usually takes 30-60 mins to make sure no one is home.

One thing so stupid about the nest is that they do not have a HOLD temperature option. The one option all dumb thermostats have, this smart thermostat doesn't. So stupid. This means if you have a temperature schedule that you follow, and your mom for example comes over to your house and stays while you go to work, you cannot hold the temperature independently of the programmed schedule. Such a simple option but yet it can't do it.

The display of the Nest E is also very low resolution, also no thanks to the artificially frosted display, will make you think you need glasses. The unit is built decently well otherwise and has a good scrolling display. The regular Nest, non-E has the really nice high resolution display.

The ecobee 3 lite's display (same for regular no lite versions too) is not that high of a resolution, but seems sharper than the Nest E, although I find the scrolling display capability of the ecobee gives the impression of antique hardware. This day and age, I would have liked to see a better display on the ecobee, especially to compete with the Nest.
Nov 15, 2017
18 posts
7 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 31st, 2018 1:16 pm
What's the best thermostat in this group? Is there any post here outlining the differences and advantages/disadvantages?

I had no idea which one to get either. I read amazon reviews for each thermostat. Honeywell was ruled out. It has a problem with dropped wifi connections and is generally not that popular. Therefore, the decision was between Ecobee and Nest. However, Amazon reviews are equal in praise for both. It was hard to decide until I found an article comparing the two side by side. It may help you decide too. LINK

Mine was installed today. I picked Ecobee Lite. Two reasons: 1. Full touchscreen (whereas Nest is low res Dial Screen) 2. local weather report display. These are my personal preferences. Also, a previous poster mentioned Nest doesn't have 'Hold Temperature'. I didn't know that, but it's an important feature.

The process took 6 months. I signed up in Nov 2017. My first chance to book the appointment was originally March 11 but the technician was a no-show no-call. I had to call again to book the appointment. I'm happy to say this time the installation went well. This technician called me one day earlier and confirmed the appointment. He was on time. Friendly, professional, and experienced.

Your thermostat rank preference order does not matter during signup. The technician will normally carry all three. You should expect a total installation time of about 50 min including the survey questions.
Nov 2, 2011
849 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
They send an email or a call? Signed up last week and havent got either. Does anyone know what the email's title is? so i can search
Jan 14, 2007
967 posts
88 upvotes
ilapastel wrote:
Mar 31st, 2018 6:38 pm
They send an email or a call? Signed up last week and havent got either. Does anyone know what the email's title is? so i can search
Which email are you referring to? I received an email shortly after I registered for the program. The email was titled "GreenON Installations Program - Congratulations!"
Sep 5, 2005
175 posts
20 upvotes
I originally chose the Nest because my friend had one & really liked hers. When the installer came 3 weeks ago, he recommended the Ecobee to me because he said my furnace set-up would be better with it. I had a C wire in the thermostat wiring bundle that wasn’t used in my old Honeywell thermostat. It wasn’t wired at the furnace so the installer attached it. Installation took about an hour. The Greenon guys were helpful and called 15 minutes before they arrived.

The ecobee isn’t like the Nest in that you still have to set-up some schedules. I don’t have a problem with that since I had to do that with my old programmable thermostat. Overall, it’s been ok & I like that I can change the status anywhere via the app or online.