• Feb 12th, 2019 4:28 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14977 posts
7341 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
seafish wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 2:05 pm
Isn't it sponsored by cap and trade program? (i.e. carbon tax)
And who pushed the cap-and-trade program on Ontarians? Hint: It wasn't Hoodat, Brown or Ford.

[Disclaimer: I'm not bashing C&T or the GreenON program per se. I simply find the re-opening of the free thermostat program so close to an election, ending just after the election, to be a bit more than just a coincidence. (From the OP, "If you missed it when signups first happened last fall registrations for the GreenON (aka Ontario government) program for a free smart thermostat and free installation is back... Expiry: June 30, 2018")]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
2456 posts
2810 upvotes
Canada
bylo wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 2:51 pm
And who pushed the cap-and-trade program on Ontarians? Hint: It wasn't Hoodat, Brown or Ford.

[Disclaimer: I'm not bashing C&T or the GreenON program per se. I simply find the re-opening of the free thermostat program so close to an election, ending just after the election, to be a bit more than just a coincidence. (From the OP, "If you missed it when signups first happened last fall registrations for the GreenON (aka Ontario government) program for a free smart thermostat and free installation is back... Expiry: June 30, 2018")]
Then what does it mean "sponsored by the Liberal Party of Ontario"? It's sponsored by people of Ontario who pay the carbon tax. It's the matter of the government to decide how to manage this tax, but they don't give their own money.
There are 2 sides of the cap-and-trade - carbon tax (and some people will vote against Liberals because of it) and 'green' incentives (other people may vote for them instead) Cap-and-trade money can't go anywhere else other than into 'green' programs and since I live and work in ON I choose to take advantage of them while I can. Whether it buys my vote or not is a different topic.
Anyway, this getting too much into politics, which I guess mods are against.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14977 posts
7341 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
seafish wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 3:08 pm
Then what does it mean "sponsored by the Liberal Party of Ontario"?
Evidently you missed the sarcasm in my Disclaimer.
Anyway, this getting too much into politics
The resurrection and timing of the free thermostat program is just too coincidental to not be political. I say that as a staunch supporter of environmental programs in general.

How many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the Wynnde
The answer is blowin' in the Wynnde
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 15, 2003
406 posts
227 upvotes
Anyone else having trouble using Google Assistant (from phone, using Wifi) to use the Ecobee? I can only get it to tell me the current temperature from it, not change anything (gives me an error when trying to change the temperature, even with proper commands as stated on their site).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8462 posts
9275 upvotes
GT-EH
Ynot2015 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 2:38 pm
Got mine installed last week, my original pick was ecobee but the installer said i don't have c wire, it's better to go with Nest, but i fund out that Nest doesn't support multiple sensors and i really don't that smoky display, the app is not user friendly. Called GreenON see if i get exchange to ecobee, waiting for the customer solution department to respond.
Anybody else ran into the same situation?
This is strange how these installers try to do as little as possible...
The ecobee comes with a power extender kit (PEK) and they either don't know how to install it or don't want to. :facepalm:
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Apr 18, 2009
182 posts
73 upvotes
Hamilton
the ecobee can be installed with 4 wire, just had mine done.
for those that had the ecobee installed, check that the gas and fan comes on at the same time for a heat call, didn't notice that while the installer was here. if it does and you don't want that blast of cold air at start up, go to settings...install-prefs...equipment...furnace...change from t-stat to hvac. now the gas will start and get to temp before the fan comes on
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25676 posts
11861 upvotes
Ottawa
wavephonic wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 4:19 pm
the ecobee can be installed with 4 wire, just had mine done.
for those that had the ecobee installed, check that the gas and fan comes on at the same time for a heat call, didn't notice that while the installer was here. if it does and you don't want that blast of cold air at start up, go to settings...install-prefs...equipment...furnace...change from t-stat to hvac. now the gas will start and get to temp before the fan comes on
Lol, I understand what you mean; but that's not accurate.
Nov 29, 2010
44 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa
The installers just came and left, no ecobee on the wall :(. My furnace is the modulating type and these thermostats do not support it.
Feb 3, 2012
118 posts
31 upvotes
T.O.
danielr85 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 5:39 pm
The installers just came and left, no ecobee on the wall :(. My furnace is the modulating type and these thermostats do not support it.
sorry to hear about that. you may want to call ecobee / nest to confirm that your furnance is not compatible with their thermostats.
Apr 18, 2009
182 posts
73 upvotes
Hamilton
"now the gas will start and get to temp before the fan comes on"
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 4:24 pm
Lol, I understand what you mean; but that's not accurate.
umm ok..gas comes on, the burner ignites, heats to the fan centers temp, then the fan comes on...hows dat!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25676 posts
11861 upvotes
Ottawa
wavephonic wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 7:34 pm
"now the gas will start and get to temp before the fan comes on"

umm ok..gas comes on, the burner ignites, heats to the fan centers temp, then the fan comes on...hows dat!
What's the fans center temp?
Apr 18, 2009
182 posts
73 upvotes
Hamilton
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 7:52 pm
What's the fans center temp?
you have a high and low limit switch in the fan center of your furnace, high limit temp fan comes on-low limit temp fan shuts off. if the ecobee is set to t-stat control it bypasses the high limit and starts the fan and burner at the same time, thus the whoosh of cold air when the furnace starts because it hasn't heated up yet. when ecobee is set to hvac, the high limit control takes over and turns the fan on after the burner hits its set temp, thus the whoosh of warm air when furnace starts. in older furnaces its a box with a coil and switch, in newer furnaces its a sensor with a switch
Nov 28, 2005
721 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Does the ecobee lite come with sensors or you have to buy additional after?
Apr 18, 2009
182 posts
73 upvotes
Hamilton
it could very well be that newer furnaces benefit from the t-stat control, I'm not entirely sure, people can experiment. mine is an older furnace so when both started at the same time it blows cold air for a while because it hadn't come up to temp in the furnace which I found a waste. I've heard hydro bills going up and could be that the fan runs longer to get the heat exchanger up to temp. whats strange is that on the ecobee stat they list t-stat control as recommended but in the full ecobee manual they list hvac control as the typical setting.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7804 posts
800 upvotes
wazabi wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 10:46 pm
Does the ecobee lite come with sensors or you have to buy additional after?
No sensors are included. This is the Ecobee lite version.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.