[GreenOn] ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 10:32 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15292 posts
7612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
So the GreenON installer arrived, took off the Infinity thermostat to examine the wiring, saw the ABCD connection, and flatly refused to install the new thermostat. There was no point in arguing. It wasn't going to happen. (Maybe I should have rewired the furnace connection to standard wiring and installed a conventional dumb thermostat. Oh well...)

Here's my question:

I was hoping to get the Ecobee (or Nest) in order to be able to monitor house temperature remotely while travelling. I still have that requirement. If I buy an Ecobee or Nest, mount it on the wall and connect only power wires to it, can I use it to only monitor temperature? IOW the Infinity would continue to control the furnace/AC as currently but I'd be able to tell if the furnace wasn't working using the Ecobee/Nest temperature report. If this isn't possible, is there another way to accomplish this?
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 23, 2011
27 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I have an old gen 2 nest, thinking of selling it and applying for a new one. Anyone else try this?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26429 posts
12559 upvotes
Ottawa
sebaka wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:39 pm
I have an old gen 2 nest, thinking of selling it and applying for a new one. Anyone else try this?
Why not?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18459 posts
1844 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I had mine installed the other day. During renovations a year ago I ran a common wire to the thermostat area for future use. The tech that installed my Nest just shoved the common wire back in the wall and hooked up the Nest with 4 wire only. Sigh. So in the next few weeks it looks like I'll be connecting the common wire manually.

Other than that, everything went smooth.
Dec 26, 2004
603 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:43 pm
Why not?
The installer is suppose to take the old one for recycling when they install the new one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26429 posts
12559 upvotes
Ottawa
thedonald wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 2:56 pm
The installer is suppose to take the old one for recycling when they install the new one.
Go out and buy a $20 non smart tstat.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15292 posts
7612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
thedonald wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 2:56 pm
My installer took photos of the old thermostat before doing anything else. So if you want them to take away a cheap thermostat make sure it's installed on the wall before the installer arrived. (Then he looked at the wiring and decided he couldn't install a new thermostat...)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18459 posts
1844 upvotes
Niagara Falls
bylo wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 4:04 pm
My installer took photos of the old thermostat before doing anything else. So if you want them to take away a cheap thermostat make sure it's installed on the wall before the installer arrived. (Then he looked at the wiring and decided he couldn't install a new thermostat...)
Mine was actually hanging from the the wires on my wall because I lost the back plate when patching and painting behind the old thermostat. Installer didn't care, he just needs to be able to turn on the furnace.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9758 posts
2193 upvotes
Markham
Got it yesterday, have the Ecobee one.
So far so good.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Feb 7, 2009
174 posts
22 upvotes
Had a Nest installed on Tuesday. Very friendly and accommodating installer. Easy install and all good so far.
Jul 28, 2008
71 posts
15 upvotes
Ajax
Just got mine installed on Wednesday. Technician was amazing, name was Salman. Took extra care and was very knowledgeable and professional. He called before coming. Zero complaints about the ecobee light as it has a very easy to use interface. Works with Apple HomeKit and integrates well. Make sure you call them before or day off. I have heard some cases where they did not show up or were too busy to make their last appointment.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1411 posts
141 upvotes
GTA
will888 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 8:38 am
I had the same arrangement on the old Honeywell thermostat. It seems very common for installers to connect to a wire to both of R and Rc terminals for dumb thermostats when there are 5 wires. The alternate arrangement for a 4 wire system is to put a jumper across the R and Rc terminals. All the installer needs to do is repurpose one of these wires and use it as the common wire.

Sadly many of the green on installers are such novices that they are not knowledgeable enough to know this. My first installation crew got all messed up by this same issue. The second crew was no better, they manufactured a phantom furnace compatibility issue as an excuse not to do the installation. I used ecobee tech support to help with dispelling any compatibility concerns.
Too funny...you are 100% describing my situation, Honeywell thermostat and R / Rc terminal usage.
I got lucky, my installer executed the install on first visit...I was impressed when I saw he had made the terminal adjustment at the furnace exactly as I had expected.
I had already done my RFD research, thanks to some knowledgeable people on here I already knew what had to be done