• Jun 19th, 2018 7:34 pm
[OP]
Feb 12, 2008
135 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

GreenON rebate question

Hi,

I am talking to a contractor to add insulation to my attic under the GreenON program.

1. What should I expect in terms of price per sf?
2. What kind of insulation material should I go for? Are there different types of insulation materials?

Thanks
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2678 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
musicgold wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:45 pm
Hi,

I am talking to a contractor to add insulation to my attic under the GreenON program.

1. What should I expect in terms of price per sf?
2. What kind of insulation material should I go for? Are there different types of insulation materials?

Thanks
1) it's dependent on the contractor, but i paid $1 + tax per sq foot (Markham)
2) generally for attic, you're looking at Cellulose or Fibreglass. From my research, fibreglass can go on top of either material. Cellulose however, you don't want on top of fibreglass, as it weighs more and will compact the existing insulation
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2948 posts
741 upvotes
Ottawa
They must be a certified GreenOn installer or no grant. Also, it must be to R60. We had ours done this spring, blown in.

Paid about $1 per sq ft, and have been approved for a $1,092 rebate, which is about what we paid.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6761 posts
2543 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:24 pm
They must be a certified GreenOn installer or no grant. Also, it must be to R60. We had ours done this spring, blown in.

Paid about $1 per sq ft, and have been approved for a $1,092 rebate, which is about what we paid.
Must add a minimum R20 on top of existing to at least a total of R50. But yes, most installers will bring it close to R60.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Sep 4, 2006
791 posts
51 upvotes
Do you just ask a Greenon certified installer to do the attic insulation and get it reimbursed or do I need to have an energy audit done before that? My house is 15 yrs old would I need to additional insulation at this many years?

Sorry to hijack OP's thread but wanted to ask this because it was about attic insulation.
http:// mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/127130.png
http:// badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/131105.png
Jul 5, 2004
23084 posts
2725 upvotes
sandyriver wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:12 am
Do you just ask a Greenon certified installer to do the attic insulation and get it reimbursed or do I need to have an energy audit done before that? My house is 15 yrs old would I need to additional insulation at this many years?

Sorry to hijack OP's thread but wanted to ask this because it was about attic insulation.
Find a contractor through the GreenON site. Tell them what you want done and let them know you want it done in accordance with the GreenON rebates available. They'll come and provide an estimate. If you get the work done, they'll handle all the paperwork and submit it to GreenON. At some point, you'll get an e-mail from GreenON telling you to verify the work was done and submit a copy of the invoice unless the installer already submitted it (most do). Many weeks later, you'll receive a cheque for the rebate amount.

No energy audit is needed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7437 posts
5727 upvotes
Oakville
Read the big GreenON thread for much more information. Going rate is $1.2 sq/ft. Hopefully Drug Ford won't cancel the program or will give good warning for those that have already signed contracts.
Nov 17, 2014
742 posts
207 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:24 pm

Which Ottawa attic insulation contractor prices at $1 per sq ft? Four different Ottawa contractors asked for $1.35+ per sq ft from me, as competition here (ottawa east) seems not as keen as in GTA.
Last edited by Beefeater on Jun 17th, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2014
742 posts
207 upvotes
musicgold wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:45 pm

2. What kind of insulation material should I go for? Are there different types of insulation materials? [/color]
Insulation options include: cellulose, fibreglass and foam, but the first 2 are most people have in their attics.

The contractor will charge u the same price whether u pick cellulose or fibreglass, although the contractor prefers to use fibreglass because it is easier to apply and easier to cheat home owners. The contractor may say that they cannot apply cellulose on top of your fibreglass (if yours has it), but that is not true. You should choose blown-in cellulose, because bwon-in fibreglass is less effective in energy savings.

Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2948 posts
741 upvotes
Ottawa
Beefeater wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 11:46 pm
Which Ottawa attic insulation contractor prices at $1 per sq ft? Four different Ottawa contractors asked for $1.35+ per sq ft from me, as competition here (ottawa east) seems not as keen as in GTA.
You're right, I was guessing. It worked out to 1.4 per sq ft. Comfort Insulation. R60. Added baffles, insulated/weatherstripped the hatch, added attic rulers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7437 posts
5727 upvotes
Oakville
FYI

Hello,
Thank you for contacting the Green Ontario Fund.
The GreenOn Rebate program is now closed. The GreenON Rebate program is no longer accepting new applications. If you have any more questions contact GreenON Support at 1-888-728-8444.

If you’re already signed up for a rebate, it will be honoured if:
· You have a signed work agreement by June 19, 2018 with a participating contractor for work that will be completed by August 31, 2018
· Your rebate application is submitted by September 30, 2018 2 No other applications or contracts will be accepted.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need more information.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)