• Jun 20th, 2018 7:34 pm
Tags:
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2684 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
i saw this the other day, and it's exciting news for those looking to get panels installed
i've been waiting for this, and am jumping on the opportunity

starting reaching out for quotes/proposals already
May 9, 2006
582 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
yes would love to see the cost for panel installation and further savings
Nov 18, 2017
53 posts
13 upvotes
I'm all over this. I got a quote last year for $18k for a 7kW system on my flat roof, would love to slash that to $11k. I'm even debating batteries now. Add a couple of electric cars, and it would be nice never to pay another penny for electricity or gas again!
Nov 10, 2003
703 posts
99 upvotes
Concord
where did you get that quote from? i am getting 24K for 8KWH.
Nov 10, 2003
703 posts
99 upvotes
Concord
Anyone has a some truth worthy solar installer in Toronto?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2684 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
xg3 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 10:27 pm
Anyone has a some truth worthy solar installer in Toronto?
i've gotten quotes from New Dawn so far
they've got great reviews on Homestars and very professional in all communications thus far
Dec 27, 2010
395 posts
27 upvotes
Just an FYI to the folks in here that the rebates in Ontario are paid for by the cap and trade program. Once Doug Ford wins, that'll be the end of the program because the PCs ate committed to getting rid of it. Go get it done now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8545 posts
302 upvotes
boblobob wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 5:29 pm
Just an FYI to the folks in here that the rebates in Ontario are paid for by the cap and trade program. Once Doug Ford wins, that'll be the end of the program because the PCs ate committed to getting rid of it. Go get it done now.
Election is in a week. This thing is dead as soon as he wins.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Nov 10, 2003
703 posts
99 upvotes
Concord
I don't think the new Green Rebate is active yet. I believe it is put on PAUSE until the election so you technically cannot apply to it..
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2684 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
xg3 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 5:32 pm
I don't think the new Green Rebate is active yet. I believe it is put on PAUSE until the election so you technically cannot apply to it..
That's correct

And if this program does go active, the contractor needs to submit the work order for approval before proceeding with any work. That's why i got the quote ready, so the contractor can submit as soon as it opens in case the program gets axed
Jan 16, 2007
924 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone give more info about rooftop solar costs and approximate amount of time to recoup initial cost? Assuming rebate is on that is. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1993 posts
620 upvotes
Mississauga
NubNub wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 2:39 pm
Can anyone give more info about rooftop solar costs and approximate amount of time to recoup initial cost? Assuming rebate is on that is. Thanks in advance.
There is some discussion in the personal finance subforum and someone posted a spreadsheet with a basic breakdown over 20yrs. Unlike the microfit program which sells generation back to the grid for big payback, this Greenon solar setup can only be used for netmetering (credits for up to 11 months on your hydro account).

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ont-onl ... s-2192536/

I tried my current consumption numbers and the investment was red over 20 yrs even if my consumption and cost increased 20%. Right now Hydro cost me about $1050 for the 5400kW that I use use yearly. If I install Greenon solar that is able to cover 100% of my hydro consumption, I still have to pay my hydro company a yearly fixed fee of $550 to stay connected to the grid. IIRC, I'm stuck with the $550 fee because going 100% off grid is not an option with OBC on a developed land.

So that leaves me only about $500/yr going toward paying off the solar panels. So in 20yrs I would have only paid off $10,000 if I get a 6KW or 10KW solar setup today.
Jan 16, 2007
924 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks bubuski for the info.

I don't think it's right for me if I can't get even get a ROI within 10 year. For me, anything over 10 years is already not worth the cost/effort since I don't plan on living at my current place for more than that.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31946 posts
8261 upvotes
GTHA
colynp wrote:
May 10th, 2018 8:59 am
The GreenON program is now offering rebates for Solar PV and Energy Storage systems to help Ontario homeowners use renewable electricity and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
https://www.greenon.ca/en/programs/gree ... ar-rebates
This program won't launch...

Ontario government kills green programs but can't say who gave the order

The Ontario government suddenly cancelled hundreds of millions of dollars worth of programs meant to fight climate change on Tuesday, without anybody apparently being responsible for it.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... -the-order

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)