Shopping Discussion

Grocery store flyer deals - OOS on day 1 !!

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 8:02 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
8331 posts
1545 upvotes
London
I think the OP needs to set their alarm a little earlier if they want the good deals.
Newbie
May 5, 2012
57 posts
12 upvotes
dustymisty wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:12 pm
I expect an advertised sale to have enough stock for the sale flyer dates.
You are fortunate your No Frills has enough stock - my No Frills runs out on day one for the complete sale time.
And No Frills do not give rainchecks.
I had the bad experience, at least 3 times, of going to the NO-Frill store closest to my house to be told that the sales item did not arrive at the store on the first day of sales and "might" arrive a few days later.

Walmart also frequently has it AAA Angus steak run out on the 3rd or 4th day of sale.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't think OP's complaint qualifies as a bait and switch tactic by the supermarket. Probably the issue is some hoarders, or the fact that No Frills usually doesn't put limits on their sale items.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jr. Member
Mar 13, 2004
168 posts
43 upvotes
Aldergrove
Becks wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:38 pm
I don't think OP's complaint qualifies as a bait and switch tactic by the supermarket. Probably the issue is some hoarders, or the fact that No Frills usually doesn't put limits on their sale items.
The No Frills I shop at usually only allows one or two of the extra good sales price on an item. - which I agree with.
And yet by 1100am item is out of stock.
A store would have to know when they have a really good special - they will have many customers and certainly should have enough stock.
I have wasted so much time going to No Frills for a special - I still look at the flyer - but do not bother shopping.
Of course No Frills - Langley Mall - is not longer having me spend money on fruits, vegetables and dairy etc,
Moderator
May 28, 2012
9436 posts
1780 upvotes
Saskatoon
RCSS used to be like that when they were having issues with their supply/ordering system a few years back. It was very frustrating...Extra Foods shared some of the same sale items and I would go there to buy (they were less busy so almost always had stock). I've never been to a No Frills because they are across the city, but I do price match their items at RCSS.
Jr. Member
Sep 9, 2017
106 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg
If they never have stock, and don't give rainchecks, I wouldn't even bother shopping there. I'd take their flyer to a store that price matches and buy the advertised item(s) there, along with the rest of my grocery order.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 23, 2015
120 posts
74 upvotes
I just wanted to respond to some comments posted here. Firstly some have suggested that it should be expected that if one doesn't do their shopping by say day 4 of the flyer sale that it should be expected that the store will be out of stock on advertised items. My contention is that if the store flyer advertises the specials for a one week period so they should have stock on the sale items for the period they advertise for one week , not a few hours or a couple of days. If they do not state that the sale is for one, two or three day period or that there is a "limited quantity available" they should stock appropriately. If you advertise a one week sale flyer running out of stock sooner should be a rare exception and not the rule. Anything less is simply deceptive advertising.

Others have suggested that the store may have an excuse in that some may be buying up all of the specials. I don't think that is an issue as every store has the right to limit quantities on sale items and in my experience they do. I'm sure that they have a very good idea how much sale product they can sell in a specified period, after all it is their business to know their business.

Also some have stated that you should shop elsewhere if you don't like it. I couldn't agree more however this doesn't alter the fact that advertising sale items that you have no intention of offering in reasonable quantities is deceptive advertising and should not be tolerated by Canadian consumers. If consumer remain silent about this practice it will only continue. It also puts others stores who do not engage in this deceptive practice at an unfair competitive disadvantage and to level the playing field may have to resort to deceptive advertising as consumers seem to tolerate this without question.
Last edited by 6060842 on Nov 14th, 2017 7:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 23, 2015
120 posts
74 upvotes
KellyM133398 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:22 pm
If they never have stock, and don't give rainchecks, I wouldn't even bother shopping there. I'd take their flyer to a store that price matches and buy the advertised item(s) there, along with the rest of my grocery order.
Just to reiterate from my previous post ... This puts the store who does have stock and who will price match the item at a competitive disadvantage as they may have to honour a loss leader that the original store really doesn't have the intention of fulfilling in any significant quantity. It hurts everyone. Even the store that you price match with will suffer decreased profit and will have to recoup that by raising their prices due to deceptive advertising from the original store. The other policy that may result would be that they would simply stop price matching.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2781 posts
2892 upvotes
You probably forget to read the fine print on the flyer which normally appears on the bottom part of last page. It normally says quantities is limited, selection is limited, bah, bah, bah....

I have seen one of the Nofrill was trying to spread the inventory across different time and date throughout the week. However, in this case, you have to wait for the preset time when they restock the shelf. This rule had run for several weeks and then customers realize how they restock and they just wait there. The staff doesn't even need to put the product on the shelf, all of them are gone in a minutes. You will end up in the same situation if you are late to the party. Thus, regardless the rules are using by the store, the key point is "You have to be there on time". You cannot just expect all popular flyer items will be available to you whenever you drop by the store. This is franchise store, you cannot expect unlimited quantities in all stores. If you find the store is wasting your time, you can just PM other stores or shopping online (for pickup).
6060842 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:35 am
I just wanted to respond to some comments posted here. Firstly some have suggested that it should be expected that if one doesn't do their shopping by say day 4 of the flyer sale that it should be expected that the store will be out of stock on advertised items. My contention is that if the store flyer advertises the specials for a one week period so they should have stock on the sale items for the period they advertise for one week , not a few hours or a couple of days. If they do not state that the sale is for one, two or three day period or that there is a "limited quantity available" they should stock appropriately. If you advertise a one week sale flyer running out of stock sooner should be a rare exception and not the rule. Anything less is simply deceptive advertising.

Others have suggested that the store may have an excuse in that some may be buying up all of the specials. I don't think that is an issue as every store has the right to limit quantities on sale items and in my experience they do. I'm sure that they have a very good idea how much sale product they can sell in a specified period, after all it is their business to know their business.

Also some have stated that you should shop elsewhere if you don't like it. I couldn't agree more however this doesn't alter the fact that advertising sale items that you have no intention of offering in reasonable quantities is deceptive advertising and should not be tolerated by Canadian consumers. If consumer remain silent about this practice it will only continue. It also puts others stores who do not engage in this deceptive practice at an unfair competitive disadvantage and to level the playing field may have to resort to deceptive advertising as consumers seem to tolerate this without question.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 23, 2015
120 posts
74 upvotes
lcmt wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:09 am
You probably forget to read the fine print on the flyer which normally appears on the bottom part of last page. It normally says quantities is limited, selection is limited, bah, bah, bah....
I haven't seen it if it does. Possibly the print is so small that it can't be read by anyone with other than perfect vision. Maybe they should try printing it in the same font size as advertised SALE price.
lcmt wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:09 am

If you find the store is wasting your time, you can just PM other stores or shopping online (for pickup).
At first glance this does seem the logical solution but it's not quite as simple as that. The issue is larger than simply making an individual shopping choice. Other retailers that you PM would often be selling to you at a loss for items fraudulently advertised by original retailer that has no intention of supplying these sale items in anything close to reasonable quantities for their advertised week long sale period. Since othe retailer you PM'd the item at must make up these losses , who do you think pays for that?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2781 posts
2892 upvotes
It is impossible to make the fine print that large size or else they need another half page just for the fine print. Take a look at it online if you cannot see it from the printed flyer

You need to distinguish between "loss" or "less profit". Also, PM doesn't mean the companies will definitely incur loss. In fact, as long as the tactic can attract customers to step in the store, gaining market share always the first priority from any companies marketing plan.

6060842 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:33 am
I haven't seen it if it does. Possibly the print is so small that it can't be read by anyone with other than perfect vision. Maybe they should try printing it in the same font size as advertised SALE price.



At first glance this does seem the logical solution but it's not quite as simple as that. The issue is larger than simply making an individual shopping choice. Other retailers that you PM would often be selling to you at a loss for items fraudulently advertised by original retailer that has no intention of supplying these sale items in anything close to reasonable quantities for their advertised week long sale period. Since othe retailer you PM'd the item at must make up these losses , who do you think pays for that?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 23, 2015
120 posts
74 upvotes
lcmt wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:01 am
It is impossible to make the fine print that large size or else they need another half page just for the fine print. Take a look at it online if you cannot see it from the printed flyer
Again this is a larger than a personal issue. Not everyone can look up the fine print online. It also begs the question as to why there should even be a need for fine print in the first place. If I'm being straightforward and honest with someone I don't need a list of caveats to back up my promises.
lcmt wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:01 am
You need to distinguish between "loss" or "less profit". Also, PM doesn't mean the companies will definitely incur loss. In fact, as long as the tactic can attract customers to step in the store, gaining market share always the first priority from any companies marketing plan.
I am aware of the difference between the two terms however the distinction you are trying to make in this circumstance is irrelevant. All businesses have bottom line targets which must be met in order to justify their investment. If they aren't meeting these they either raise prices, reduce labour costs ( either by cutting jobs, wages or both) or they simply pack up and close and take their investment capital to a more lucrative market.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2781 posts
2892 upvotes
Honestly, I understand your problem and I believe everyone has encountered this problem in the past. However, the is a problem cannot be solved regardless the exsiting of fine print or not. If you have a perfect solution, you can suggest to the store, I'm sure they are welcome to take it.

I'm sure stores are welcome customers to PM as long as they are not taking all inventory from the store. Stores are definitely earning "something" with the tactic of PM. I'm saying "something" because they may not earn money at the moment, they may be earning reputation, market share ,etc .... However, in a long run, money will go into the pocket. As a business, they cannot have just a short-term view. Long term view is more important. Otherwise, Amazon will never exist in the first place.
6060842 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:30 am
Again this is a larger than a personal issue. Not everyone can look up the fine print online. It also begs the question as to why there should even be a need for fine print in the first place. If I'm being straightforward and honest with someone I don't need a list of caveats to back up my promises.



I am aware of the difference between the two terms however the distinction you are trying to make in this circumstance is irrelevant. All businesses have bottom line targets which must be met in order to justify their investment. If they aren't meeting these they either raise prices, reduce labour costs ( either by cutting jobs, wages or both) or they simply pack up and close and take their investment capital to a more lucrative market.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1474 posts
780 upvotes
First, I think what you ARE SAYING is commendable & honourable...

Consumers have rights, and Retailers need to respect those rights

BUT at the same time you have CHOSEN to take the position that "fine print" be d@mned... Too small to read / no one reads it anyhow

That there is where you lose your argument, cause your POV won't stand up in any court of law

Sorry

But also continually cutting & pasting your POV / argument, doesn't make it any closer to the truth in your favour

It just begins to look like sour grapes on your part

Fact is this is how it is. The Grocery Store is covered. If you don't like the experience at this "type" of store shop elsewhere (I certainly would) and price match back to No Frills where you can.

Your time should be worth something too... Honestly if I was in your shoes and experienced this time & time again... I would have either changed my shopping habits (arrived on Day 1) or given up long ago

The truth is:

No Frills is a DISCOUNT Grocery Store, they are not considered main stream any more than a Dollar Store is comparable to a General Merchandise Store like Walmart. You get whatever stock there is at whatever is the current price, while its available period.

I believe most Consumers recognize this fact.

Certainly why I shop at a full service Grocery Store.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11211 posts
1540 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever happened to limits?
Limit 4, limit 6, etc? when there is a flyer special sale?
I know it just motivates a large family to split up into two cashiers, but it's the thought that counts...

Top