Shopping Discussion

Grocery store flyer deals - OOS on day 1 !!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:49 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2765 posts
2889 upvotes
Although most stores have the placed the limit especially the items on first page of the flyer, it may not work since people can always come back. However, online order can be tracked by limiting the quantities to a single address and it is more effective to control.
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:56 am
Whatever happened to limits?
Limit 4, limit 6, etc? when there is a flyer special sale?
I know it just motivates a large family to split up into two cashiers, but it's the thought that counts...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19054 posts
2637 upvotes
Poormond Hill
If the deals are HOT, then op needs to get there before the rfd crowd hoard it all.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
lcmt wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:08 am
Although most stores have the placed the limit especially the items on first page of the flyer, it may not work since people can always come back. However, online order can be tracked by limiting the quantities to a single address and it is more effective to control.
This post by @lcmt prompted me to do some more research...

This might just be the source of the problem, as well as the solution

Not all that familiar with Lobaws Group Click & Collect (maybe someone else who is can also comment)

First I was not even aware that this feature was offered at the No Frills Stores
(Colour me surprised cause I thought these stores were well... No Frills)

Guessing that folks may be going online & placing their orders in advance, as I seem to recall this is doable
(ie They order after Midnight when the flyer takes effect, for pick up early the next morning)

There by they get first crack at the sale items / stock... And only have to bring the order home & unload it before going about their day
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2765 posts
2889 upvotes
I should have mentioned that my comments are not Nofrills specified. Online order will have the same First-come-first-serve situation compare with mortar store. People will buy all inventory when the time switch to next flyer, but this is fair to everyone. Also, as I said, online order is easier and more effective to control the limit. The most important part is that it won't waste too much time on placing order online and/or spend extra money to travel to store in case the item is unavailable.
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:11 pm
This post by @lcmt prompted me to do some more research...

This might just be the source of the problem, as well as the solution

Not all that familiar with Lobaws Group Click & Collect (maybe someone else who is can also comment)

First I was not even aware that this feature was offered at the No Frills Stores
(Colour me surprised cause I thought these stores were well... No Frills)

Guessing that folks may be going online & placing their orders in advance, as I seem to recall this is doable
(ie They order after Midnight when the flyer takes effect, for pick up early the next morning)

There by they get first crack at the sale items / stock... And only have to bring the order home & unload it before going about their day
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4576 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa
No frills is the biggest perp for this. I don’t even bother going there for any hot prices. I just pm elsewhere.
Dec 25, 2014
72 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
No Frills recently started advertising organic produce on their flyers. They get a case of it on day 1 and never again. A case of PCO mushrooms only has about 20 packs. In one hour, it is gone and never filled again. I went to No Frills (in Scarborough) 3 times this week. Never once did I see the PCO Red Delicious Apples on the shelf. The price is there, but it is empty. The produce clerks do not know when they are getting more. What is the point of advertising it, if they do not want to stock it? It is not a supply issue. The local RCSS always has plenty. All the PCO stuff comes from the same supplier and distribution centers.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2694 posts
166 upvotes
Sale items to be in stock throughout the whole period of the sale? Lol gimme a break
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7437 posts
2398 upvotes
ON
Sounds like you just have terribly managed stores.
My local NF always has the sale items well into the week. Sometimes even carry over to the week after.

Sounds like a franchisee is being cheap and only ordering the minimum and not the actual amount needed for their store.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3910 posts
207 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
You snooze you lose.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3894 posts
1100 upvotes
As a consumer what does complaining do?

You can't have it, so, they shouldn't have low prices at all?

I do agree that No Frills really ought to know what is truly a hot price on something and have enough quantity, but it is kind of ridiculous that you want something to last the whole sale period.

No store wants inventory to sit all week/month/year waiting for that one buyer.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3894 posts
1100 upvotes
Maybe having sufficient quantity is a Frill?
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
116 posts
69 upvotes
renoldman wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:27 am
As a consumer what does complaining do?

You can't have it, so, they shouldn't have low prices at all?

I do agree that No Frills really ought to know what is truly a hot price on something and have enough quantity, but it is kind of ridiculous that you want something to last the whole sale period.

No store wants inventory to sit all week/month/year waiting for that one buyer.
This thread has gotten a bit off track as it wasn't intended to be about price matching or No Frills. It's simply about be honest about what you advertise in your flyer. The Competition Bureau already has provisions for "reasonable quantities". If nobody complains the rules don't get enforced and retailers are free to advertise sale items which they have no intention of providing however they have lured the consumer on a false pretense to their store.

If retailers can't provide items for the duration they advertise then it doesn't mean they can't offer the item at a sale price but they shouldn't advertise it in their flyer. I have seen that sometimes they offer a 2 or 3 day sale on items or may have "limited quantites" sale. I have no problem with that, it's not deceptive.
Aug 16, 2011
802 posts
214 upvotes
Kitchener
It's Loblaws as a whole, the way their ordering system is for stores is ridiculous, the stores themselves often cannot control how much of a product they get especially with sale items. They get what they get from the main warehouse and have no control over it.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
If its produce items, the Toronto food terminal is on strike which will greatly affect stores getting their produce orders from their DCs right now.

When DCs fulfill store orders, I am almost positive the conventional stores get picked first before the discount chains. So if there isnt enough stock, the discount chain gets nothing that day....regardless if they booked for the sale or not.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.