Group Buys

[Group Buy] 2017 Central AC [American Standard] (Highest Tier Reached)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2018 12:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6950 posts
3379 upvotes
Markham
kiasu wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:34 am
well..that guy came and gave me a feeling that he wont care and wont give me any further discount..only $150? wtf and still much more than other companies...he probably think he has a big pipe of business from RFD and wont bug....it's more than $300 diff..like $500/$600 before tax...
You and I are both longtime RFD veterans. We both like great deals, but there is a distinction between the cheapest deal and the best deal.

If you feel that Craig is not the best fit for your needs, then perhaps it is best to go with the options you deem best for yourself. I believe Craig has been very transparent with his prices. The prices stated here is exactly what you pay, nothing extra or hidden. It would be very disingenuous to give you a further discount and not allow others to do likewise. In order to make Group Buys viable, everyone must absolutely pay transparent and equal prices.

I hope you end up choosing what fits your needs the best. You are certainly not beholden to any purchases here. Craig will not charge you for any estimates or such.
Dec 7, 2013
209 posts
131 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:34 am
well..that guy came and gave me a feeling that he wont care and wont give me any further discount..only $150? wtf and still much more than other companies...he probably think he has a big pipe of business from RFD and wont bug....it's more than $300 diff..like $500/$600 before tax...
Sounds like you didn't get another discount and felt upset. I don't believe any of us got a further discount. If another contractor offered you the same unit for $500-$600, with equal warranty, reviews, and peace of mind, then you should just buy that instead. There is no point complaining here if you found a better alternative. Everyone else here is pretty happy with the level of service and cost. Could we all have done perhaps better? Possibly. There are always contractors willing to undercut others, especially when prices are out in the open. But price is only one aspect of such a major purchase, within reason.
Mar 4, 2017
17 posts
7 upvotes
Is there a 2018 group buy yet?

Which spec should I be getting?

New build
West facing
2200 sq ft
9 feet 1st and 2nd floors
Unfinished basement
Only use AC in July/August
Jan 4, 2018
3 posts
+1 I would also like to know if there is a group already for 2018.

Also is it worth it to pursue the SEER 18 to get the $600 rebate?
Jan 4, 2018
3 posts

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6950 posts
3379 upvotes
Markham
Confused99 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 4:54 pm
Is there a 2018 group buy yet?

Which spec should I be getting?

New build
West facing
2200 sq ft
9 feet 1st and 2nd floors
Unfinished basement
Only use AC in July/August
I will definitely do another group buy for 2018 but not until April-ish. As for your house, I am thinking 2.5T at 13 SEER but that's my opinion. If you want a professional one, you can always contact Craig.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6950 posts
3379 upvotes
Markham
pdelospalotes wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:49 am

I personally don't think a SEER 18 is worth your money. There is no way for you to use the AC long enough per year to make up the cost. But if you want you can give Craig a shout and see what he says. It's really too bad they don't offer rebates for 14.5 and 16 SEER anymore.
Jan 4, 2018
3 posts
Anikiri wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 12:21 pm
I personally don't think a SEER 18 is worth your money. There is no way for you to use the AC long enough per year to make up the cost. But if you want you can give Craig a shout and see what he says. It's really too bad they don't offer rebates for 14.5 and 16 SEER anymore.
Thanks for the input; what about the features that you can find in 18 SEER AC like variable speed blower or 2 stage compressor, again is worth the money considering we can get the $600 rebate? I agree they should still offer the rebates for at least the 16 SEER.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6950 posts
3379 upvotes
Markham
pdelospalotes wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:44 pm
Thanks for the input; what about the features that you can find in 18 SEER AC like variable speed blower or 2 stage compressor, again is worth the money considering we can get the $600 rebate? I agree they should still offer the rebates for at least the 16 SEER.
I am not really in the HVAC business. I am not really sure. I think it is best to give Craig a call. The only thing I got going is that I had Craig install a 16 SEER unit for me and even then I wasn't quite sure if the payback was worth it.
Jan 14, 2007
401 posts
63 upvotes
GTA North
Hi Craig
Thanks for the quote. Subscribing for more discounts! So far everything everyone has said is true. Looking forward to working with you
Tim
Jan 27, 2008
342 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi @Anikiri I'm also interested in the group buy. I'm a new home buyer and will be moving into a newly built townhouse in a couple of months. The townhouse is modern style with a flatroof top, 3 stories 2300 sq ft plus a basement (another 600 sq ft). What type of AC should I get and how much should I budget? Thank you
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6950 posts
3379 upvotes
Markham
josb0513 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 8:43 am
Hi @Anikiri I'm also interested in the group buy. I'm a new home buyer and will be moving into a newly built townhouse in a couple of months. The townhouse is modern style with a flatroof top, 3 stories 2300 sq ft plus a basement (another 600 sq ft). What type of AC should I get and how much should I budget? Thank you
Hey, I am not really an HVAC guy but from what I remember something like your house should probably have a 2.5T. If you want a real assessment, maybe a consultation, give Craig a call.

I am not sure how much ACs are this year. But if you want a guideline, you can look up how much it cost last year on this first page. Since there are no real useful government discounts yet, you are probably looking at a 13SEER unit.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6950 posts
3379 upvotes
Markham
Update: There will be a new 2018 Group Buy starting in April
Jan 27, 2008
342 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
Anikiri wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 12:53 pm
Update: There will be a new 2018 Group Buy starting in April
Excellent. I'm in.
Mar 24, 2007
217 posts
65 upvotes
Is this group buy only for Toronto? Any group buy in Ottawa area?