Group Buys

[Group Buy] 2018 Central AC [TRANE/American Standard] (@Tier 3 Highest Discount)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 2:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7460 posts
3938 upvotes
Markham

[Group Buy] 2018 Central AC [TRANE/American Standard] (@Tier 3 Highest Discount)

We are currently at the largest Tier level with $155 off per unit. Make sure your discounts reflects such.

Note: IESO (OPA) rebates for Central Air Conditioner is only available for 18 SEER. The rebate is $600 (post-tax). Do note that Craig does not believe this to be worthwhile, but you can still source it from Four Season if you wish. Furthermore, he will apply for this rebate on your behalf as an authorized installer.

If you wish to join the Group Buy, simply contact me or Craig and leave your name and contact information. You can contact Craig directly at 416-524-7228 or fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca or you can message him on RFD @fourseasoncomfort, please mention "RFD GROUP BUY."

Furnaces are also part of the RFD Group Buy and receive the same group discounts if you wish to purchase more than one HVAC product. Contact Craig directly for such requirements, and remember it doesn't hurt to ask for a combo discount.

Please leave any questions and feedbacks in the thread below:
2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 Central AC Feedback Thread: Central AC Feedback Thread

Hello Fellow RFDers,
this will mark the Central AC Group Buy for 2018, which would be the fifth time I've organized it. Please see below for details:

How to we determine which Air Conditioner size is best?
It is very important that your air conditioning unit is sized appropriately prior to installation. If the unit is undersized it will run continuously without reaching set point, particularly during peak hours. If the air conditioning unit is oversized, it will short cycle (turn on and off continuously) resulting in warm pockets of air in the home.
Below is a list of additional information we may require when determining how to correctly size the air conditioning unit in your home.
1. Square footage(excluding basement)
2. Ceiling height - main level and upstairs
3. Exposure(does the home back North, South, East, or West)
4. Size and number of large windows in the home

What SEER Rating or Efficiency is Best?
The SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) rating, determines how efficient you air conditioning unit is or how much electricity it consumes. The higher the SEER numbers the more efficient the AC. Our cooling season in Southwestern Ontario is typically only 3-4 months of the year therefore we would NOT recommend a seer rating above 13 seer since now the OPA rebates are not available as you will not gain a return of the investment of a super efficient AC unit.
There is currently one rebate available through the OPA which we are able to process for our clients. Rebates are available on 18 SEER units ($600), but we do not recommend such a high SEER rating for the GTA due to insufficient monetary payback. Since our cooling season is only 3 months per year you will never recoup the costs of a 18 seer AC even with the $600 rebate.

What products do we recommend?
There are many air conditioning manufacturers available in the market today.
Premium products – these are sold and installed through a dealer network. Licensed and certified technicians are factory trained on installation and service.
Mid- Range products – these are builder quality products sold to any HVAC company. I would be pleased to discuss the differences in product lines.
At Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling we recommend the Premium Trane/American Standard line of products. We have installed hundreds of these cooling systems within the GTA. Both we and our clients have been very satisfied with the quality and reliability of this product line. The Trane/American Standard line of air conditioning units were rated number 1 by Consumer Reports in July of 2016! Other product lines are also available as well.
2018 Group Buy Pricing and Details
Below is some pricing for the Trane 13 SEER units. This pricing includes complete installation with wall mounted brackets and a 15ft copper line set. Warranty is 10 years parts and 5 year labour. HST is additional.

Single Unit Pricing:

TRANE XR13 SEER

1.5 ton $2695 installed
2.0 ton $2795 installed
2.5 ton $2885 installed
3.0 ton $3155 installed
3.5 ton $3325 installed
4.0 ton $3485 installed

Group Buy - Multiple Pricing Discount:
10 AC units deduct (115.00 per unit)
11-25 AC units deduct ($125.00 per unit)
26-50 AC units deduct (155.00 per unit)
In order to participate in this group buy we require a $250.00 deposit prior to June 01th, 2018. Payments may be made by check or interact email money transfer to fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca. Once this deposit is received we will send an invoice showing the deposit has been received and a tentative installation date. The deposit secures your pricing as well as your installation date. On June 01, 2017 we will determine how many participants we have in the group buy and apply the necessary discount to the invoice. If the air conditioner has been installed and paid prior to May 20/16 we will refund the applicable group buy discount to our client via check, Interact or email money transfer.

MISC Products

Aprilaire Humidifiers purchased in tandem with an AC, Furance, or Water Heater:
Aprilaire 500M $395 installed
Aprilaire 600M $425 installed
Aprilaire 700M $675 installed
Aprilaire 800M call for pricing

Aprilaire Humidifiers purchased as a singular item:
Aprilaire 500M $450 installed
Aprilaire 600M $475 installed
Aprilaire 700M $725 installed
Aprilaire 800M call for pricing

Air Purification Systems
In terms of air cleaners I would recommend using a 3M filter for the first 6 months of your occupancy. I would not recommend making an investment on an indoor air quality system initially unless you are certain the ducts are clean. Once most of the construction debris has been removed from your ductwork I would recommend the Accuclean system which does not restrict air circulation like many of the media filters and other systems.

Client Testimonials
http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/ ... hp?t=24763
https://homestars.com/companies/2797675 ... on-comfort
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/2014-201 ... d-1505477/
http://estatesofcreditridge.freeforums. ... -t674.html

Questions & Answers

1. Do these prices include the saveONenergy rebates?
Unfortunately, there are no more IESO rebates unless you are purchasing a 18 SEER or better unit. Craig does not recommend such since the payback is not worthwhile.

2. Why are there no more rebates?
I guess the government doesn't want to pay for us anymore.

3. Does Trane/American Standard still produce the best ranked/rated Central Air Conditioning units, according to Consumer Reports?
Yes. Consumer Reports' most recent issue ranked Trane/American Standard as the most reliable brand for Central AC. Furthermore, we have a RFD Feedback thread with many satisfied participants, which you can peruse at your pleasure HERE

4.Do you have a brochure for these units?
You can access the Trane XR13 Brochures HERE

5. Do you sell higher SEER units than 13?
Yes, you can purchase higher efficiency units as you wish. Please contact Craig directly for other units. There are rebates (manufacturer and IESO) for 18 SEER units but no rebates on SEER units below that. You will still be able to claim the group discount, regardless of which unit you purchase.

6. How much will the unit cost me?
Cost of your unit in tons + HST.

7. (The Most Important Question) Do I have to pay for an Trane/American Standard Technician to come out once a year and do maintenance on my unit to keep the 10 year parts / 5 year labour warranty?
No. Craig suggest that you change your furnace filter to something less constricting ($5 filter from Home Depot) every 3 months. Furthermore, it is recommended that you hose down the condenser with a garden hose in the Spring. That is all the maintenance that you can do yourself. You do not need to call in a special contractor for any of these services. Brands like Lennox absolutely require that you do an annual maintenance (at cost to you) with one of their contractors, otherwise your warranty becomes void.

8. Are these Trane XR13 units builder grade or above builder grade?
These Trane XR13 are Premium-level units. Central AC units come in this following order: Builder Grade, Entry Level, Mid-Level, and Premium-Level. Both the brand and the units are considered Premium. Most contractors will quote you builder grade units that are both loud and aesthetically offending, because they are the cheapest. These units are far superior to that.

9. Why is Craig offering Trane instead of American Standard this year?
Trane and American Standard are the same company. All their units are identical except the badging, with all units being made (Trane & American Standard) in the same factory. Craig is offering Trane this year because it is perceived as a more "Premium" brand while offering the same pricing as an idential American Standard product. Furthermore, apparently Trane has a better support and sales team than American Standard, even if they are the same units. In my opnion, may be he does such a great job selling their units, they upgraded him to Trane for the same price.

10. How do I know I can trust this "Craig" person? Is he on HomeStars?
Well this is the RFD Feedback Thread. This is where previous RFD purchasers rated Craig and his services. He is also on HomeStars with phenomenal reviews at 9.9/10. Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling HomeStars.

11. Why is the 5 year Labour Warranty such a big deal?
If you have called enough contractors, you should know that they will either not mention labour warranty or quote you 1-2 years tops. They will offer to sell you an additional 3-4 years of labour warranty for a hefty cost. Craig stands by his work so he will offer you 5 years as a show of faith in his products and workmanship. Remember, the highest cost of fixing a broken AC are not the parts, but the labour.

12. What areas in Ontario will Craig service?
I really get asked this a lot, and every single time I gotta ask Craig to confirm. However, generally I find that he will service the following extremes:
St. Cathrines to the South (I think he'll do Niagara Falls, too)
Clarington to the East
Barrie to the North
Kitchener to the West
So if you fall between any of these points, you are set. If you are just outside or quite a ways outside this area, please contact Craig and ask directly.

13. What are the costs of additional copper past 15ft?
This is directly quoted from Craig:
The additional cost for the both the suction and discharge lineset with armourflex and additional 410A is $7.00 per linear ft after 15 ft. The additional cost of the high voltage wiring is $3.00per linear ft
Last edited by Anikiri on Apr 3rd, 2018 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
252 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2358 posts
887 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm in for AC. I provided Craig with a $500 deposit last fall for a furnace upgrade (I didn't go through with it), so hopefully I can apply that to the AC deposit

I'm in a ~13-1400 sq ft front split detached
(excluding basement). Main floor has 15ft cathedral ceilings, 8ft upstairs, house backs north/west, one large bay window and backyard patio door on main floor with standard size windows throughout); located in Mississauga.

What tonnage size/seer should I be looking at?

Also, I want to relocate my AC location from the backyard to the side of the house. Is that service provided?

I've also contacted Craig directly
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7460 posts
3938 upvotes
Markham
mau_mau wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 2:31 pm
I'm in for AC. I provided Craig with a $500 deposit last fall for a furnace upgrade (I didn't go through with it), so hopefully I can apply that to the AC deposit

I'm in a ~13-1400 sq ft front split detached
(excluding basement). Main floor has 15ft cathedral ceilings, 8ft upstairs, house backs north/west, one large bay window and backyard patio door on main floor with standard size windows throughout); located in Mississauga.

What tonnage size/seer should I be looking at?

Also, I want to relocate my AC location from the backyard to the side of the house. Is that service provided?

I've also contacted Craig directly
I have asked Craig to answer these questions when he has time, but I am being told he's super busy installing this year. If you need this information quickly, best to give him a call.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2358 posts
887 upvotes
Mississauga
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 1:47 pm
I have asked Craig to answer these questions when he has time, but I am being told he's super busy installing this year. If you need this information quickly, best to give him a call.
No worries. Craig and I connected via email. Installation is all set up for end of month. Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7460 posts
3938 upvotes
Markham
cdnguy77 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 1:36 pm
when is the deadline?
June 01st but apparently we’ve already gotten to Tier 3 discounts so everyone’s getting $155 off.

Craig said he’s gonna give me a list of people who put deposits, I’ll make a count then.
Dec 7, 2013
216 posts
140 upvotes
For anyone who needs their furnace or AC repaired quickly, make sure you contact Craig ASAP! He fixed mine within a day and showed me an itemized repair bill that was more than reasonable.

If you want a review of what Joe did (Craig's team member), let me know and I will post some pictures.
Oct 4, 2014
120 posts
9 upvotes
bowmanville, ON
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 4:36 pm
June 01st but apparently we’ve already gotten to Tier 3 discounts so everyone’s getting $155 off.

Craig said he’s gonna give me a list of people who put deposits, I’ll make a count then.
ok thank you. i should be good to go by then. having phone issues right now.
Apr 2, 2018
9 posts
How about increasing discount level to Tier 4 and Tier 5 this year? It will motivate everyone to do more referrals?
Aug 10, 2008
30 posts
Toronto
I've joined the 2018 AC group buy and have sent my deposit of $250 to Craig!
Jul 27, 2010
6 posts
toronto
I have joined this group buy and given my deposit to Craig.

Thanks,
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7460 posts
3938 upvotes
Markham
Twinkle18 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 11:55 pm
How about increasing discount level to Tier 4 and Tier 5 this year? It will motivate everyone to do more referrals?
I'll talk to him about this, seems like a good idea.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7460 posts
3938 upvotes
Markham
If you have any questions regarding other HVAC rebates or compounding rebates from GreenON + Enbridge/Union Gas, see below:
fourseasoncomfort wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 7:01 pm
Im really sorry for the delay in responding here. Okay rebates. Through the OPA there are rebates for a ECM DC motor on furnaces for $250 which will be processed by us and sent to homeowners in the form of a check 8-10 weeks after installation. Every furnace we sell will qualify for this rebate, please do not install a furnace with a AC motor that does not qualify.
In terms of central air conditioners there is also a rebate on a 18 seer and above for $600. This does not make sense in our climate given our cooling season is so short and the additional cost to install a 18 seer does not justify the annual savings. Last year a 14 seer AC or 16 seer AC made sense given the $250 & $400 respective rebates were available. Since July of 2017 the AC rebate program has ended with the exception of the 18 seer rebate. I would recommend installing a 13 Seer AC for our clients.
There are also rebates through the gas companies, ie Enbridge & Union Gas. We have many of our clients take advantage of this however you have to up grade 2 appliances or perform 2 upgrades in you home to qualify (door upgrade, windows, air sealing). Most of our clients replace the furnace for the first item and replace the HWT dependant in its age and efficiency for the 2nd item. If you think this program may be of benefit to you please google Endbridge or Union energy licenced auditors for a in home consultation. We have had clients get a $1100 rebate check from this program so it may make sense for you.
There is also a GreenON rebate when installing a heat pump but you must be on propane or oil to qualify.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Apr 3, 2009
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I given my deposit to Craig in this group buy. Very excited to have it installed next month.