Group Buys

[Group Buy] 2018 Central AC [TRANE/American Standard] (@Tier 3 Highest Discount)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 3:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9836 posts
849 upvotes
Brampton
Joining the group. Craig did my furnance last year so I trust him fully for my AC.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 199 and counting. RFD Feedback 54-0-0 and counting.
Mar 7, 2011
3 posts
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:57 am
We are currently at the largest Tier level with $155 off per unit. Make sure your discounts reflects such.

Note: IESO (OPA) rebates for Central Air Conditioner is only available for 18 SEER. The rebate is $600 (post-tax). Do note that Craig does not believe this to be worthwhile, but you can still source it from Four Season if you wish. Furthermore, he will apply for this rebate on your behalf as an authorized installer.

If you wish to join the Group Buy, simply contact me or Craig and leave your name and contact information. You can contact Craig directly at 416-524-7228 or fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca or you can message him on RFD @fourseasoncomfort, please mention "RFD GROUP BUY."

Furnaces are also part of the RFD Group Buy and receive the same group discounts if you wish to purchase more than one HVAC product. Contact Craig directly for such requirements, and remember it doesn't hurt to ask for a combo discount.

Please leave any questions and feedbacks in the thread below:
2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 Central AC Feedback Thread: Central AC Feedback Thread

Hello Fellow RFDers,
this will mark the Central AC Group Buy for 2018, which would be the fifth time I've organized it. Please see below for details:

Questions & Answers

1. Do these prices include the saveONenergy rebates?
Unfortunately, there are no more IESO rebates unless you are purchasing a 18 SEER or better unit. Craig does not recommend such since the payback is not worthwhile.

2. Why are there no more rebates?
I guess the government doesn't want to pay for us anymore.

3. Does Trane/American Standard still produce the best ranked/rated Central Air Conditioning units, according to Consumer Reports?
Yes. Consumer Reports' most recent issue ranked Trane/American Standard as the most reliable brand for Central AC. Furthermore, we have a RFD Feedback thread with many satisfied participants, which you can peruse at your pleasure HERE

4.Do you have a brochure for these units?
You can access the Trane XR13 Brochures HERE

5. Do you sell higher SEER units than 13?
Yes, you can purchase higher efficiency units as you wish. Please contact Craig directly for other units. There are rebates (manufacturer and IESO) for 18 SEER units but no rebates on SEER units below that. You will still be able to claim the group discount, regardless of which unit you purchase.

6. How much will the unit cost me?
Cost of your unit in tons + HST.

7. (The Most Important Question) Do I have to pay for an Trane/American Standard Technician to come out once a year and do maintenance on my unit to keep the 10 year parts / 5 year labour warranty?
No. Craig suggest that you change your furnace filter to something less constricting ($5 filter from Home Depot) every 3 months. Furthermore, it is recommended that you hose down the condenser with a garden hose in the Spring. That is all the maintenance that you can do yourself. You do not need to call in a special contractor for any of these services. Brands like Lennox absolutely require that you do an annual maintenance (at cost to you) with one of their contractors, otherwise your warranty becomes void.

8. Are these Trane XR13 units builder grade or above builder grade?
These Trane XR13 are Premium-level units. Central AC units come in this following order: Builder Grade, Entry Level, Mid-Level, and Premium-Level. Both the brand and the units are considered Premium. Most contractors will quote you builder grade units that are both loud and aesthetically offending, because they are the cheapest. These units are far superior to that.

9. Why is Craig offering Trane instead of American Standard this year?
Trane and American Standard are the same company. All their units are identical except the badging, with all units being made (Trane & American Standard) in the same factory. Craig is offering Trane this year because it is perceived as a more "Premium" brand while offering the same pricing as an idential American Standard product. Furthermore, apparently Trane has a better support and sales team than American Standard, even if they are the same units. In my opnion, may be he does such a great job selling their units, they upgraded him to Trane for the same price.

10. How do I know I can trust this "Craig" person? Is he on HomeStars?
Well this is the RFD Feedback Thread. This is where previous RFD purchasers rated Craig and his services. He is also on HomeStars with phenomenal reviews at 9.9/10. Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling HomeStars.

11. Why is the 5 year Labour Warranty such a big deal?
If you have called enough contractors, you should know that they will either not mention labour warranty or quote you 1-2 years tops. They will offer to sell you an additional 3-4 years of labour warranty for a hefty cost. Craig stands by his work so he will offer you 5 years as a show of faith in his products and workmanship. Remember, the highest cost of fixing a broken AC are not the parts, but the labour.

12. What areas in Ontario will Craig service?
I really get asked this a lot, and every single time I gotta ask Craig to confirm. However, generally I find that he will service the following extremes:
St. Cathrines to the South (I think he'll do Niagara Falls, too)
Clarington to the East
Barrie to the North
Kitchener to the West
So if you fall between any of these points, you are set. If you are just outside or quite a ways outside this area, please contact Craig and ask directly.

13. What are the costs of additional copper past 15ft?
This is directly quoted from Craig:
Mar 7, 2011
3 posts
Toronto
I am in. Getting a 2 ton. Thanks for the prompt responses Craig.
Cheers
Mar 7, 2011
3 posts
Toronto
I am in. I had posted my message sometime back, but its not showing up. Have sent the deposit and looking forward to an early installation date.
Thanks Craig.
Cheers.
Sri
Apr 8, 2018
2 posts
Kitchener, ON
We just got our deposit in on time. Now just waiting for Craig to get back to us with the invoice and install date. We are very excited!
Aug 21, 2017
6 posts
A big thank you to Anikiri and Craig and everyone involved in the installation/swap of my Trane 1.5ton A/C unit and Rheem hot water tank install. I got lucky finding this post. I was looking for a hot water tank but also eventually needed to change my AC. Stumbled upon this post. Turns out he offered up both.

Everything was completed today and it was clean, fast and efficient. My roof happened to be scheduled the same day but everything worked out perfectly. Excellent service - polite, courteous and prompt from both companies and they both worked together to not get in each others way.

When it comes to major appliances like these I opted to purchase reputable brands and paired with a clean install. I feel that everything was right up my alley. I would not hesitate to call them for any heating/cooling needs. Take it for what it's worth, but I have upmost confidence in my experience from start to finish.

Listen, beyond this group buy, we all like to shop for deals here but that requires time/research/opinions and then there's the question if this person is legit and on and on... there's no better feeling than saving time knowing you have someone to trust to call if something goes wrong with your heating/cooling without having to google/research it. I feel like that if you're planning on living where you are for a while and looking for quality appliances and clean install, Craig is your guy.
May 5, 2009
30 posts
3 upvotes
Finally got in touch with Craig and sent my deposit. Looks like a new unit would be best. Thanks all.
May 29, 2018
5 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Sorry if this was already covered, but do we pay the remaining balance via etransfer asap or can we pay by card/chq/cash on day of install?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7317 posts
3754 upvotes
Markham
PeacefulForest wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 8:48 pm
Sorry if this was already covered, but do we pay the remaining balance via etransfer asap or can we pay by card/chq/cash on day of install?
I actually have no idea. I paid him everything via e transfer when I did this a few years back. Can someone chime in if things have changed?
Aug 21, 2017
6 posts
PeacefulForest wrote: Sorry if this was already covered, but do we pay the remaining balance via etransfer asap or can we pay by card/chq/cash on day of install?
I paid my deposit through etransfer and then the rest with etransfer after the install. FYI I needed to call my bank to change the max amount of my etransfer for just that transaction but Craig was fine if I had split it up in different days.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7317 posts
3754 upvotes
Markham
Newmomtotwins wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 3:03 pm
Is it still possible to get in on this deal?
I’d say give Craig a cal and ask. I’ve known him to extend the discount past the deadline.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2849 posts
189 upvotes
Anyone have a link to the cheap furnace filter they use from HD? I looked but all I find are high performance filters. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7317 posts
3754 upvotes
Markham
crimsondr wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 11:20 am
Anyone have a link to the cheap furnace filter they use from HD? I looked but all I find are high performance filters. Thanks.
This one? Fiberglass filter