• Nov 24th, 2018 11:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
460 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough

Group Cruise

Need some suggestions to book a first time cruise for a group of approx. 30 ppl for 7 days. Looking for a family oriented type cruise. Any suggestions for travel agencies/websites? Looking to keep the cost/per person to a reasonable amount.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7385 posts
4833 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
dainfamous41 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 8:51 pm
Need some suggestions to book a first time cruise for a group of approx. 30 ppl for 7 days. Looking for a family oriented type cruise. Any suggestions for travel agencies/websites? Looking to keep the cost/per person to a reasonable amount.
This is one situation ... organizing a Group
Where I think working with a Travel Agent works best (best done in person)
Or DIRECTLY one on one with a Cruise Line’s Travel CSRep (can be done by phone)

If using a Travel Agent, look at the likes of Expedia CruiseShip Centres ... their specialty is cruising
But there are also other TA Cos that main biz is cruises

Family Ships... multigenerational cruises
I think those that do it best are Disney - Norwegian (NCL) - and Royal Caribbean (RCCL)

If there are any pre-teens / teens in the mix, I would say go with Norwegian

NOTE: Travel Agents, be they part of a cruise line or not ... have access to cabins that are held back from online bookings
And not just Suites ... but also bigger accommodations on many Ships
(often known as Family Cabins that sleep 5 or 6 not just the standard 2 to 4 persons)
These larger accommodations often represent one good way to keep costs down
Also they’ll know which ships when have Promotions on for 3rd & 4th Pax FREE in regular cabins

* Black Friday & Cyber Monday Weekend is a good time to buy... but best to get your ducks lined up beforehand so a TA can jump on something quick when it becomes available

NOTE - If anyone in your group is prone to motion sickness (ask now). They’lol do best in a midship cabin vs anything too much forward or aft. Midship is usually more expensive than the bow or stern.., partly because of the movement, and partly because of just the convenience of being middle = less walking overall. To keep costs down... the lower you are in decks, the less you pay. So although a midship cabin on Deck 12 might be identical to one on Deck 6 ... Deck 6 will be lower priced.

When picking a cabin... looks to what’s above & below you on the other Decks. A nightclub below might have the walls vibrating at 2 AM ... the Buffet Above might have you hearing the food trolleys at 6 AM. Best cabins are sandwiched between other cabins.

And... for first time cruisers, I recommend Cruise Critic.com
Great website for all things cruising
Sister website to TripAdvisor
Anything you want to know about Cruising, Lines, Ships, Cabins, Packing, Ship Vibe & Activities, Ports of Call etc can be found on Cruise Critic
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3296 posts
1519 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:37 pm
This is one situation ... organizing a Group
Where I think working with a Travel Agent works best (best done in person)
Or DIRECTLY one on one with a Cruise Line’s Travel CSRep (can be done by phone)

If using a Travel Agent, look at the likes of Expedia CruiseShip Centres ... their specialty is cruising
But there are also other TA Cos that main biz is cruises

Family Ships... multigenerational cruises
I think those that do it best are Disney - Norwegian (NCL) - and Royal Caribbean (RCCL)

If there are any pre-teens / teens in the mix, I would say go with Norwegian

NOTE: Travel Agents, be they part of a cruise line or not ... have access to cabins that are held back from online bookings
And not just Suites ... but also bigger accommodations on many Ships
(often known as Family Cabins that sleep 5 or 6 not just the standard 2 to 4 persons)
These larger accommodations often represent one good way to keep costs down
Also they’ll know which ships when have Promotions on for 3rd & 4th Pax FREE in regular cabins

* Black Friday & Cyber Monday Weekend is a good time to buy... but best to get your ducks lined up beforehand so a TA can jump on something quick when it becomes available

NOTE - If anyone in your group is prone to motion sickness (ask now). They’lol do best in a midship cabin vs anything too much forward or aft. Midship is usually more expensive than the bow or stern.., partly because of the movement, and partly because of just the convenience of being middle = less walking overall. To keep costs down... the lower you are in decks, the less you pay. So although a midship cabin on Deck 12 might be identical to one on Deck 6 ... Deck 6 will be lower priced.

When picking a cabin... looks to what’s above & below you on the other Decks. A nightclub below might have the walls vibrating at 2 AM ... the Buffet Above might have you hearing the food trolleys at 6 AM. Best cabins are sandwiched between other cabins.

And... for first time cruisers, I recommend Cruise Critic.com
Great website for all things cruising
Sister website to TripAdvisor
Anything you want to know about Cruising, Lines, Ships, Cabins, Packing, Ship Vibe & Activities, Ports of Call etc can be found on Cruise Critic
You said it all. +1 for Expedia Cruise Ship Center
Aug 16, 2009
970 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 8:19 am
You said it all. +1 for Expedia Cruise Ship Center
I've booked a few cruises with them as well.... Good experience so far!
Jan 4, 2007
327 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver
It just so happened that a friend of ours works at an Expedia Cruise centre. He suggested a cruise to all his friends last year and most of us jumped on it. Group of 24. Got treated quite well onboard NCL this past September. He also joined us on the cruise and handled everything and it went very smoothly. Of course he got a nice bonus for the sale but he shared some of it with the group.