Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Groupon] 20% off PRICE PRIVILEGES Fuel Savings Card from Esso

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2014 9:28 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON

[Groupon] 20% off PRICE PRIVILEGES Fuel Savings Card from Esso

Deal Link:
$35 for a PRICE PRIVILEGES Fuel Savings Card from Esso on Groupon, you get $0.025 off per litre for up to 2,000 litres, which is $50. Buy today and you get extra 20% off with code GIFT20. Also get cashback from one of those cashback websites. Limited to 1 for yourself and 1 gift.
19 replies
Nov 3, 2008
122 posts
169 upvotes
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I don't see how you save $0.025/litre when you have to pay $35 for the card. If you used the maximum 2,000 litres you'd only be saving $15 ($50-$35) which works out to just $0.0075/litre.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Not again. This isn't a deal. It's calculated to be $0.0075 per litre. Thats not much of a savings. You can walk around downtown and find that cash on the ground
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
this and td antivirus mir deals should be banned.
Apr 26, 2015
19 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote: Not again. This isn't a deal. It's calculated to be $0.0075 per litre. Thats not much of a savings. You can walk around downtown and find that cash on the ground
So math isn't a strong point with you guys? Your forgetting the 20%
2000L x 2.5 cents = 5000 cents/ $50. Anyway groupon has a " gift20 " code for 3 items starting today... makes this $28 ... that's $22 savings... that's 1.1 cents per/L in savings.... which is better than the nothing u get driving into a random station, thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
Thanks for the code. With so many math dunces around here, there sure won't be long queues at ESSO.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
LukeB007 wrote: So math isn't a strong point with you guys? 2000L x 2.5 cents = 5000 cents/ $50

Anyway groupon has a " gift20 " code for 3 items starting today... makes this $28 ... that's $22 savings... that's 1.1 cents per/L in savings.... which is better than the nothing u get driving into a random station, thanks OP!
Good for esso, because people like you buying these...
there lots of other deals out there, you should know if you frequent RFD
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
LukeB007 wrote: So math isn't a strong point with you guys? Your forgetting the 20%
2000L x 2.5 cents = 5000 cents/ $50. Anyway groupon has a " gift20 " code for 3 items starting today... makes this $28 ... that's $22 savings... that's 1.1 cents per/L in savings.... which is better than the nothing u get driving into a random station, thanks OP!

So out of the 50$ saving you are paying 35$ back to esso. So net saving is 15$ not 50$ as your calculations.
Now tell us who's right?
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1558 posts
734 upvotes
LukeB007 wrote: So math isn't a strong point with you guys? Your forgetting the 20%
Great you save 1.1 cents per litre once you have used up the first $28 that it cost you, the issue with this card is not that you save a few dollars on gas it is that you have to purchase 2000 litre of gas to see the savings. The first 1200 litres of gas you are only using up what you paid for the card. That would take the average driver atleast 3 months (but probably more).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
bigphil26 wrote: Great you save 1.1 cents per litre once you have used up the first $28 that it cost you, the issue with this card is not that you save a few dollars on gas it is that you have to purchase 2000 litre of gas to see the savings. The first 1200 litres of gas you are only using up what you paid for the card. That would take the average driver atleast 3 months (but probably more).
1200 L takes me about 6 months...plus esso is not always the cheapest around here. so you actually end up losing money.
I'll stick to RCSS or CT for now. all the idiots can line up at esso with their shiny savings cards....lol
I have a feeling that many people buy these thinking that they are actual gift cards.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1476 posts
601 upvotes
LukeB007 wrote: So math isn't a strong point with you guys? 2000L x 2.5 cents = 5000 cents/ $50

Anyway groupon has a " gift20 " code for 3 items starting today... makes this $28 ... that's $22 savings... that's 1.1 cents per/L in savings.... which is better than the nothing u get driving into a random station, thanks OP!
1.1c savings is better than nothing except you have to pay $28 upfront and for most people, take a year (based on driving 20K km/yr) before realizing the $22 savings. This is a way for gas stations to lock you in and to charge for it is ridiculous. Many people here on RFD agree this is almost a scam preying on people thinking this is a 44% (22/50) savings when in fact it is about 1%. You are paying $28 to save 1%. I bought the Petro Canada gift cards that gave away 2.5c/l savings card for free.

It is clever advertising... if they state it "Pay $28 and save approximately 1% on gas (up to 2000L)", I bet hardly anyone would buy it.
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
223 upvotes
EDMONTON
Stop posting this "deal". It has been reposted several times already. Just search Esso and you'll see several threads.
May 22, 2003
16 posts
Vancouver
Other thing is you have to enter into the Esso store to get your fuel discount each time. Hell no! I'm not waiting behind that soccer mom buying lottery tickets and a pack of Dentyne. Why can't I just use my Esso Price Privileges card at the pump? Just an excuse to get you in the store to upsell you some coffee and chocolate bars, and make you wait in line. Maybe you'll give up and never use their Privileges card is what Esso hopes will happen - pure profit then. I love this idea if I'm an Esso shareholder.

"When paying for fuel, you will need to present the PRICE PRIVILEGES card inside an Esso station. The card will continue to be accepted until you have redeemed 2,000 litres."
Nov 3, 2008
122 posts
169 upvotes
cirque wrote: Maybe you'll give up and never use their Privileges card is what Esso hopes will happen - pure profit then. I love this idea if I'm an Esso shareholder.
Never even thought of that aspect. I bet that happens quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1913 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
I keep checking out this @sso threads thinking some kind of magical discount of 20% off total g@ss purchase, only to find out having to prepay $35 for $50 worth of marginal portion for next filling of 2,000litre, 0.75c off 2.5c every litre. WTF time waster!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Pretty sure 95% of people on RFD live just as close to a Superstore, Costco, or other discount gas station that can do far better than paying $28 to save 2.5 cents/litre for a while.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
144 upvotes
North
Meridian wrote: 1.1c savings is better than nothing except you have to pay $28 upfront and for most people, take a year (based on driving 20K km/yr) before realizing the $22 savings. This is a way for gas stations to lock you in and to charge for it is ridiculous. Many people here on RFD agree this is almost a scam preying on people thinking this is a 44% (22/50) savings when in fact it is about 1%. You are paying $28 to save 1%. I bought the Petro Canada gift cards that gave away 2.5c/l savings card for free.

It is clever advertising... if they state it "Pay $28 and save approximately 1% on gas (up to 2000L)", I bet hardly anyone would buy it.
It's technically a scam.

tsimpson76 wrote: Stop posting this "deal". It has been reposted several times already. Just search Esso and you'll see several threads.
Maybe the posters are shills?
cirque wrote: Other thing is you have to enter into the Esso store to get your fuel discount each time. Hell no! I'm not waiting behind that soccer mom buying lottery tickets and a pack of Dentyne. Why can't I just use my Esso Price Privileges card at the pump? Just an excuse to get you in the store to upsell you some coffee and chocolate bars, and make you wait in line. Maybe you'll give up and never use their Privileges card is what Esso hopes will happen - pure profit then. I love this idea if I'm an Esso shareholder.

"When paying for fuel, you will need to present the PRICE PRIVILEGES card inside an Esso station. The card will continue to be accepted until you have redeemed 2,000 litres."
Most stations pay people to go into their stores :lol: .
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1993 posts
364 upvotes
Winterpeg
Groupon offers 20% off on all their cards

Technically for $100 gift card you will just be paying $80
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1558 posts
734 upvotes
caveat_emptor wrote: Groupon offers 20% off on all their cards

Technically for $100 gift card you will just be paying $80
What cards do you get 20% off of?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)