Group Deal Discussion

[Other] Groupon $8.5 million Class Action Settlement (U.S. only - when's our turn?)

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2017 2:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Groupon $8.5 million Class Action Settlement (U.S. only - when's our turn?)

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/23/technol ... /index.htm

[QUOTE]NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- If you've ever bought a Groupon, you might be getting an email this week about a class-action lawsuit involving the expiration dates on the company's daily deals.

Groupon (GRPN) has settled the case and will pay a proposed $8.5 million in cash to do so -- but, as with many class-action suits, a good chunk of that money will go to the lawyers. Customers will likely take home mere pennies.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Whatever happened to all the talk about going after various group deal sites for The Butchers fiasco, etc.?
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
7 replies
Jul 12, 2012
66 posts
5 upvotes
TORONTO
Not sure this is accurate, every time I've dealt with Groupon and expired deals, they just refund the money to me without a hard time. Heck, they even gave me 10 dollars free before I ever purchased anything due to me subscribing for 3 years
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LaVolpe wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 9:42 pm
Not sure this is accurate, every time I've dealt with Groupon and expired deals, they just refund the money to me without a hard time. Heck, they even gave me 10 dollars free before I ever purchased anything due to me subscribing for 3 years
Well, this is Groupon U.S.

I'm just using it as an example of what we could do in Canada (not necessarily re: Groupon) if we really wanted to try.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Psubs wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 11:57 pm
I got spam mail about an update of my settlement...
I also thought it was spam at first, but the link (at least in the email I received, dunno about yours) goes to the same website quoted in the above article.

https://grouponvouchersettlement.com/
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4180 posts
588 upvotes
It's not only in the US. It's valid for us too. I also got a few emails about this.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
flafson wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 9:09 am
It's not only in the US. It's valid for us too. I also got a few emails about this.
It covers Canadian residents, but only insofar as you may have purchased a deal for a U.S. merchant.

From their FAQ (https://grouponvouchersettlement.com/Co ... .aspx#a-18)
How do I know if I am part of the Settlement?

Answer:

You are a Class Member and part of the Settlement if you purchased or received a Groupon Voucher issued for redemption at a merchant in the United States, during the time period from November 1, 2008 until December 1, 2011 and if you meet certain other criteria described in the Settlement Voucher Claim Form and Instructions Proof of Claim Forms. You are excluded from the class if you are a Defendant or an officer or director of any Merchant Partner or a Groupon employee. Certain other entities are excluded related to the Defendants. If you fall within the definition of a Class Member and are not excluded, you are a Class Member.
Dec 27, 2002
323 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I just logged into my Groupon account and noticed there was a credit(dated Mar 27, 2017) from the settlement. A welcomed surprise considering this was from 5 years ago and I forgot about it.