Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17028 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 12:22 pm
Where does it say it's $28?
They have a sign outside all their location that says $19.99 oil change.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9833 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
I honestly don't know how the shops make $ doing oil changes for $28, unless it is considered a loss leader and they will ding you in other areas.

A 4.4L jug of Castrol Conventional Oil is $22.99 at Canadian Tire so that is $27 after tax. It is possible the shops may have loaded up on these when they go on sale but for the sake of discussions, let's use the regular price. Add another $10 for filter

It normally takes me about 1 hour to do an oil change. Obviously, I am not as fast as the professionals but I like to take my time to ensure safety and also to ensure all of the old oil is drained completely.

Shop rates certainly vary based on the garage but $80 - $100 for 1 hour of labour seems to be the range. Then you have disposal/environmental fees on top of this.

Again, I don't know how they make $ advertising $28 oil change...if somebody can enlighten me, I am all ears!
[removed]
Dec 16, 2009
542 posts
116 upvotes
Durham
canabiz wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 4:22 pm
I honestly don't know how the shops make $ doing oil changes for $28, unless it is considered a loss leader and they will ding you in other areas.

A 4.4L jug of Castrol Conventional Oil is $22.99 at Canadian Tire so that is $27 after tax. It is possible the shops may have loaded up on these when they go on sale but for the sake of discussions, let's use the regular price. Add another $10 for filter

It normally takes me about 1 hour to do an oil change. Obviously, I am not as fast as the professionals but I like to take my time to ensure safety and also to ensure all of the old oil is drained completely.

Shop rates certainly vary based on the garage but $80 - $100 for 1 hour of labour seems to be the range. Then you have disposal/environmental fees on top of this.

Again, I don't know how they make $ advertising $28 oil change...if somebody can enlighten me, I am all ears!
It is used as a 'lost leader'. The price gets you in and then they look for other (sometimes legit sometimes not) more profitable work that they recommend needs attentions.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2926 posts
1222 upvotes
Waterloo
carmaster wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 12:26 pm
They have a sign outside all their location that says $19.99 oil change.
Gotcha, thanks. Do you know what brand of oil they use?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2926 posts
1222 upvotes
Waterloo
canabiz wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 4:22 pm

So we as regular consumers can buy a jug of oil for $23 at Canadian Tire. Meineke as a business probably isn't walking into CT buying jugs of oil. I imagine they buy them in bulk elsewhere at a price much better then $23. As for the filter, we can normally get one for $5, meaning Meineke likely gets it for cheaper. But yeah, they're likely not making any profit by just doing oil changes. I'm sure it's all the other stuff they do: brakes, wheels/tires, batteries, accessories, other minor servicing, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9833 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
crystallight wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 5:28 pm
So we as regular consumers can buy a jug of oil for $23 at Canadian Tire. Meineke as a business probably isn't walking into CT buying jugs of oil. I imagine they buy them in bulk elsewhere at a price much better then $23. As for the filter, we can normally get one for $5, meaning Meineke likely gets it for cheaper. But yeah, they're likely not making any profit by just doing oil changes. I'm sure it's all the other stuff they do: brakes, wheels/tires, batteries, accessories, other minor servicing, etc.
If you know places that sell good filters for $5, do tell. The last time I got a good filter for that price was when WalMart cleared out the FRAM couple of years ago. I loaded on them but will need to restock soon.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2926 posts
1222 upvotes
Waterloo
canabiz wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 5:56 pm
If you know places that sell good filters for $5, do tell. The last time I got a good filter for that price was when WalMart cleared out the FRAM couple of years ago. I loaded on them but will need to restock soon.
I said you can buy filters for $5, I never said it'd be good quality. Do you think the ones Meineke uses are good quality? I'm thinking no.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9833 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
crystallight wrote:
Sep 7th, 2015 6:18 pm
I said you can buy filters for $5, I never said it'd be good quality. Do you think the ones Meineke uses are good quality? I'm thinking no.
Fair enough. Which brings me to my next question: What is the point of you (or somebody else interested in this so-called $28 oil change *deal*) bringing your car to Meineke when you know, with a fair degree of certainty, that they will A) not likely to use good filter and B) not likely to use good oil.

Is this still a deal then? Not in my book.
[removed]
Mar 22, 2011
628 posts
170 upvotes
Actually, my mother-in-law went to Meineke for the $25 oil change just the other day. I check her oil and the oil on the dip stick was darker than if it was a DIY. Looks like they didn't take the time to fully drain the old oil.
So you get what you pay for, folks.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13245 posts
2615 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Oil changes are rarely loss leaders. At worst, I would think shops break even or lose just a little bit of money. A couple years ago my dad sent me information on how to contact a wholesaler on how to purchase jugs of oil. Basically a jug of Castrol synthetic oil was around $15 or so if I remember correctly. Of course, I'd have to buy them in larger than average quantities.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4930 posts
1651 upvotes
Canuckland
That picture from the deal shows some1 pouring used oil in :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1064 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
Check out Canadian Tire. They are promoting a $19.99 special. Not sure what type of oil or if it's at specific locations but keep your eye out!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7081 posts
364 upvotes
York
michiebaby wrote:
Sep 8th, 2015 11:23 am
Check out Canadian Tire. They are promoting a $19.99 special. Not sure what type of oil or if it's at specific locations but keep your eye out!
Do you mind providing a link or saying which Canadian Tire has this deal? I haven't seen any advertisements