• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 4:17 pm
[OP]
Jul 27, 2003
245 posts
5 upvotes
Niagara Falls

Groupon Scam USD cost refund Cdn credit

I just want to warn buyers please beware of this. Merchants like Happy Jacks in Fort Erie, Ontario are selling vouchers in USD so you credit card will be charged in USD but when you go to restaurant to redeem voucher the restaurant has a sign 2 wks ago their cash value exchange rate is 1.18 vs market rate 1.32 roughly. I totally understand that and expected my voucher to be redeem at $40x1.18 reasonable right? NOPE you ain't going to get that. The mgr treat it as par$40USD=$40 Cdn. I got pissed and wrote to BBB USA to file complaint about Groupon as they did not refund to my credit but issue Groupon value of what I paid in Cdn not USA as they charged my credit card pocketing difference. That is practically screwing your now unhappy customer. I selling some of my Apple stock and shorting Groupon stock. Any one experience their 2 hours waiting to talk to customer service. Black Friday redemption was also rejected at Sbarro voucher too. I think they will go belly up soon. I am betting all the stolen credit cards are being used to buy these groupons...I think I one of the last fools to use this service. I have been warned by the wife to stay away from Groupon or I am dead man in 2016.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Years everyone. :cry: :D :cheesygri
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1910 posts
912 upvotes
Vancouveresque
So many bad stories involving Groupon. I honestly don't know why anyone bothers with that site anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3757 posts
1134 upvotes
Ontario
I don't know how groupon stays in business or why business continue to advertise through them. It's almost a guaranteed bad experience.
Apr 1, 2015
187 posts
48 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Wtf, that's so messed up.
What other bad Groupon stories are out there? I've always had okay experiences with them.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2816 posts
1390 upvotes
Edmonton
The trick with Groupon is to to make sure the offer is from a known, reputable business.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3893 posts
381 upvotes
The Costco membership I bought through them got refunded last week (apparently I was listed as a spouse on my wife's card that expired a few months back, making me ineligible). Honest mistake. They refunded my money... but only in "Groupon bucks". Is this standard? Was hoping to get the $55 back instead of trying to find something to buy.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16242 posts
6386 upvotes
starchoice wrote: The trick with Groupon is to to make sure the offer is from a known, reputable business.
That's what we have started to really limit ourselves to as well.

Most businesses do not realize what they are getting into with these group deal sites (and some blame should fall on the group deal sites too) - they will receive large amounts of visitors, most likely at an already busy time (Friday nights, etc.), and they will try to spend right around what the voucher is worth. You may never see them again as they will most likely just buy another voucher, unless you can show them you are worth full price (which is hard to do when you do not anticipate the volume you will receive).

My poor experiences have been with sites other than GroupOn (I have personally found them good), but I am sure it can happen to them because the poor experiences are a result of the business doing, or not doing, something to you.

What I think most people forget is the business has some blame in this too, not just the group deal site. They are far from a victim in most cases (except the obvious ones where they are not paid, etc.).
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1686 posts
759 upvotes
Hamilton
mself084 wrote: The Costco membership I bought through them got refunded last week (apparently I was listed as a spouse on my wife's card that expired a few months back, making me ineligible). Honest mistake. They refunded my money... but only in "Groupon bucks". Is this standard? Was hoping to get the $55 back instead of trying to find something to buy.
Happened to me once. I pushed until I got a refund.