• Mar 5th, 2013 10:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2009
1334 posts
1026 upvotes

GRPN predictions?

I'm not holding any positions in GRPN, but I'm interested in seeing what happens tomorrow.
Thought I'd make a discussion thread to see if anyone else was watching or holding positions in too. :razz:
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
While the stock is definitely not worth $25+ like its IPO, and I'm not keen on them long term... It's only expected to earn like 2 cents/share so that shouldn't be too hard to do. If they can't even do that they are finished, esp if they lost money instead. Most of what I've read indicates their fundamentals are better than the market is giving them credit for though so I'm going to say they meet the couple cents expectation, maybe exceed slightly, and have a nice pop. At least to the top of the current trading range (5.5-6.25). Its been sticking within that pretty solidly and trending up. If it can break above that we could see $7-8.

I grabbed some cheap call options yesterday. Risky but might pay off handsomely as long as the company doesn't completely bomb the earnings.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Rhaegar wrote: Most of what I've read.
There's your problem. You read. Ignore 99% of the cr*p out there that's just written by people trying to unload Groupon stock or hype the sector. The company has never earned a dime. It has destroyed most of its capital. The so-called 'deals' keep getting worse and worse, to the point where many markets have basically zero in terms of local deals. I'm pretty confident its a "zero" in the long term.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2009
1334 posts
1026 upvotes
It looks like an 8% rise since open... hrmm.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
danyo wrote: It looks like an 8% rise since open... hrmm.
And I'm probably going to cash out on it rather than risk earnings.

Mark77 I agree with you, I even said I'm not keen on them long term. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a juicy technical/hype based 2 day profit though.
Mar 19, 2010
918 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
This stock is heading to zero. I would stay away from it.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2009
1334 posts
1026 upvotes
Rhaegar wrote: And I'm probably going to cash out on it rather than risk earnings.

Mark77 I agree with you, I even said I'm not keen on them long term. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a juicy technical/hype based 2 day profit though.
Do you mind me asking what strike price you went in at and how much profit you made?
From what I see, it looks like you made a pretty good profit on your 1-day call option.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
Missed by 0.15 so lost 0.12 per share. Down 25% after hours.

Glad I sold my calls at 6.05 this afternoon. Would have only stuck with it if I was hedged in a straddle with puts. Would have paid nicely with that drop.
chose to ride the hype up tend and get out before the train wreck instead. I'll take my 26% in two days tyvm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
danyo wrote: Do you mind me asking what strike price you went in at and how much profit you made?
From what I see, it looks like you made a pretty good profit on your 1-day call option.
Sure. $6 April calls on Monday for 0.52 sold today for 0.69. Did a similar move last week riding the same trading chanel
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
I predict they will be bankrupt or purchased before end of 2013.

Groupon is a total joke of a company. I wish I had had money at the time of the IPO, I would have made a fortune shorting it.

Read this series of investigative articles into groupon, done prior to their IPO. It paints quite the picture. Throw all this into the financial schenanigins this company is involved in post-IPO and I don't know why anyone in their right mind would be long on this stock.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/09/groupo ... -decision/
http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/11/google ... iness-die/
http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/13/why-gr ... -collapse/
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
brunes wrote: Read this series of investigative articles into groupon, done prior to their IPO. It paints quite the picture. Throw all this into the financial schenanigins this company is involved in post-IPO and I don't know why anyone in their right mind would be long on this stock.
The 'sad' thing is that Groupon actually has a business underneath it all that collects cash from customers that can cover a very significant amount of its expenses. Can't say the same about many other IPO's that have come to market in the technology sector, which have been highly speculative at best.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Dec 30, 2007
186 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Wish I read this thread earlier... It would of save me a two hundred bucks. Does anyone think Groupon will recover the 20 plus percent loss it suffered today?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
tomaccowu wrote: Wish I read this thread earlier... It would of save me a two hundred bucks. Does anyone think Groupon will recover the 20 plus percent loss it suffered today?
Probably not?

Lesson learned. Don't trade stocks like this without being keenly aware of impending earning dates and making an informed decision about whether or not to hold the position through earnings.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
3854 posts
374 upvotes
Still room to short, but there will be a bounce back... to cover some shorts and close some positions (i.e. lock in profits)
Jun 17, 2012
8 posts
CHELTENHAM
Negative earnings .... don't see it ever recovering. Will hover then die IMO
Dec 30, 2007
186 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Groupon is rebounding since the earnings. Making up for some of my losses now.