Tags:
[OP]
Apr 30, 2015
16 posts
1 upvote
Midland, ON

Grubs in my Lawn

Hi Everyone,

Last year I had nasty grubs in my lawn. I called a bunch of places and they told me that I have to spray chemicals on my lawn early in the spring before they start to grow, I guess "hatch"
There was also a natural product that was recommended to me too, but I am wondering if any one else has any experience using something chemical free?

I have quite a bit of grass, and we live in the country so our water comes from our well, and my wife and I want to avoid using chemicals.
Does any one know of any chemical free or natural way to get rid of grubs?

Also I see I have little moles in the lawn this spring, any advice there would be great too.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The only natural way of handling grubs is to use nematodes which are basically small biological pest that attack the grubs after they hatch. Being small, the nematodes aren't very mobile so they will have a limited radius which they are effective. In addition, they only only 40% or so effective so repeated applications over a number of years is needed and even then you'll still have a small problem.

Many of the small animals that are digging up your yard are actually looking for the grubs to eat so if you take care of the grubs, there's a good chance that the small animals will move on to your neighbour's yard.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2015
16 posts
1 upvote
Midland, ON
Hey, thanks a lot for the reply, that makes a lot of sense with the little creatures looking for food. Have you or anyone else heard of Wollastonite?
I read this last year... Natural Solution for Grubs but it seems the research is pretty early in the game.
I am not sure where to buy this stuff or what it costs but if it works, that would be pretty sweet.
― Henry Ford
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Lovemydeals365 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 8:59 am
Hey, thanks a lot for the reply, that makes a lot of sense with the little creatures looking for food. Have you or anyone else heard of Wollastonite?
I read this last year... Natural Solution for Grubs but it seems the research is pretty early in the game.
I am not sure where to buy this stuff or what it costs but if it works, that would be pretty sweet.
Wollastonite works on the same principle as diatomaceous earth - the sharp bits cut up the bugs (sort of like death by a 1000 cuts). The problem with both products is that they aren't targeted so every insect/bug gets hit with it. Supposedly, wollastonite works better than diatomaceous earth but that's up for debate. You can get diatomaceous earth from most gardening centres or Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7935 posts
1216 upvotes
Jungle wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 9:39 am
Milky Spore-apply 5 years to build up in soil. Lasts some 20 years.
Spikes of death (shoes) when grubs are near surface.

Some good reading on Milky Spore found from google:

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/mil ... our_garden
Where can you get this?

I'm pretty sure I have grubs - skunks keep digging holes everywhere on the back yard.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4055 posts
1170 upvotes
kool1 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 4:12 pm
Where can you get this?

I'm pretty sure I have grubs - skunks keep digging holes everywhere on the back yard.
Your local nursery or Amazon should have it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7935 posts
1216 upvotes
I'll pop by on my way home - thanks.

I have to get on this ASAP.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2015
16 posts
1 upvote
Midland, ON
Thanks everyone, so I haven't been able to find milky spore. But I found Wollastonite in Markham. I just called them and they said that 1000 sq feet of lawn is a 25kg bag. I called our local nursery and they said that Milky Spore works until it rains, and then after it erodes.
I found this at Canadian Tire Nematodes, but they don't have stock at all locations. I think I after this research I am going to go with Wollastonite. i will post back later this year and let you all know how it works.
― Henry Ford
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7935 posts
1216 upvotes
Lovemydeals365 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 4:12 pm
Thanks everyone, so I haven't been able to find milky spore. But I found Wollastonite in Markham. I just called them and they said that 1000 sq feet of lawn is a 25kg bag. I called our local nursery and they said that Milky Spore works until it rains, and then after it erodes.
I found this at Canadian Tire Nematodes, but they don't have stock at all locations. I think I after this research I am going to go with Wollastonite. i will post back later this year and let you all know how it works.
I gave up and ordered grub spray on Amazon.com. It's not environmental but it works.

None of these organic things work as far as I can see and my grass is going to be destroyed if I can't get it under control.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kool1 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 2:50 pm
I gave up and ordered grub spray on Amazon.com. It's not environmental but it works.

None of these organic things work as far as I can see and my grass is going to be destroyed if I can't get it under control.
They do work but the level of effectiveness is poor in comparison even if you have all the right conditions for them to work. I would go with Grubex over the sprays.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7935 posts
1216 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:43 pm
They do work but the level of effectiveness is poor in comparison even if you have all the right conditions for them to work. I would go with Grubex over the sprays.
Talking to neighbors and co-workers I see many people have grubs and have been unable to control them.

Effectiveness according to my neighbor across the street has been almost zero. He has done the same. Frustrating to see your lawn turn to dead no matter what you do.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kool1 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 3:22 pm
Talking to neighbors and co-workers I see many people have grubs and have been unable to control them.

Effectiveness according to my neighbor across the street has been almost zero. He has done the same. Frustrating to see your lawn turn to dead no matter what you do.
A more accurate statement would be the perceived effective is almost zero.

The largest source of damage to a lawn is not the grubs per say but the animals - be them crows or the four legged variety - which rip out chunks of grass looking for the grubs to eat. All of the grubs might be dead in one area but it won't stop the animals ripping out grass to look for them. But even at a 40 - 50% effectiveness rate (ie 50% dead grubs) that still leaves the other 50% for the animals to look for and find.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7935 posts
1216 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 4:18 pm
A more accurate statement would be the perceived effective is almost zero.

The largest source of damage to a lawn is not the grubs per say but the animals - be them crows or the four legged variety - which rip out chunks of grass looking for the grubs to eat. All of the grubs might be dead in one area but it won't stop the animals ripping out grass to look for them. But even at a 40 - 50% effectiveness rate (ie 50% dead grubs) that still leaves the other 50% for the animals to look for and find.
Yes true.. Animal digging is a big part of it. That said I can't get rid of the the skunks and raccoons until I get rid of what they are looking for.