GSM alarm monitoring worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2016 9:37 pm
[OP]
Aug 4, 2016
11 posts

GSM alarm monitoring worth it?

Hey everyone,
Would you say GSM monitoring in addition to phone line alarm monitoring is worth the extra money?
Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
765 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nah. Not worth it. Think about it. If alarm company calls when your phone line is down will you send the police? Most people don't send police so it's pointless. Have a Neihgbour check your house out or family
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5783 posts
600 upvotes
I switched to GSM so that I can cut the expensive landline. It saved money and offer better security (supposedly at least given there is no landline to cut when someone breaking in, of course pro will still be able to get around it).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7976 posts
504 upvotes
golden wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 9:25 am
I switched to GSM so that I can cut the expensive landline. It saved money and offer better security (supposedly at least given there is no landline to cut when someone breaking in, of course pro will still be able to get around it).
Same here, just switched to GSM last week and cut the landline :)

Question to OP is that do you want paid alarm monitoring at all (As some people always argue that there is no use) ? If you do, just use GSM and forget about the landline connection. The GSM installer told me that GSM used to be a "backup" for the landline monitoring, but now has become the main monitoring method and he has installed tons of them.

Note; My system has already been installed Envisalink self monitoring. So, theoretically I could ditch every paid service and do self monitoring. Anyway, it is only $20 a month and we got home insurance discount with that along with professional monitoring instead of amateur monitoring by myself relying on the internet connection.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16412 posts
3498 upvotes
Toronto
Is it easy to retrofit a GSM system onto a system that only uses a landline? Mine is a DSC PC3000.

I have a landline that I used to have to use anyway for a fax machine, but these the need for the fax is much less, so I'm contemplating cutting the land line.
Oct 16, 2007
741 posts
18 upvotes
How much is the discount for insurance if you have a monitored alarm?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16501 posts
2168 upvotes
sj1234 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 11:18 pm
Would you say GSM monitoring in addition to phone line alarm monitoring is worth the extra money?

Yes, phone line monitoring is very easy to bypass.
boumbo wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 10:49 am
Not much, couple dollars a month. More if you have a monitored fire alarm.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7976 posts
504 upvotes
Really ? didn't know fire alarm get further home insurance discount. My alarm system is linked to a smoke detector.

However, when I switched to Allstate, they only asked if I have alarm monitoring service and didn't ask detail though.
coolspot wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 11:10 am
sj1234 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 11:18 pm

Yes, phone line monitoring is very easy to bypass.
boumbo wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 10:49 am
Not much, couple dollars a month. More if you have a monitored fire alarm.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7976 posts
504 upvotes
redkulat wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 11:29 am
I switched my parents to VOIP for about $4 / month and they added the GSM function to their alarm system. Only worth it if you don't have a landline.
I have VOIP line at home as well but the installer advised me not to use it. So, I am straightly using the GSM module. The installer said people are no longer using GSM as backup but it is the primary contact to monitoring center now.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
EugW wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 9:49 am
Is it easy to retrofit a GSM system onto a system that only uses a landline? Mine is a DSC PC3000.
Yes, most cellular communicators emulate a phone line dialtone. So your alarm panel doesn't really know the difference.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do