• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 8:12 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8254 posts
1711 upvotes

GST/HST letter owing and account balance

I received an updated GST/HST letter about the amount I'm entitled because I moved mid year to another province, and the letter says I now have xxx amount due from receiving the letter, which is fine and dandy if the province I moved to has less credits to give.

But when I go in my CRA account balance and statement of account, it shows "Your account balance: 0.00".

So now, do I owe xxx amount or not? Shouldn't the account balance reflect the amount due from the GST/HST letter?
2 replies
Sep 24, 2006
572 posts
46 upvotes
Guelph, On
Happened to me when I moved from Ontario to Saskatchewan - I got a letter saying I owe money due to the fact you get more in Ontario than Saskatchewan. I never saw it on on my CRA for a bit but when I got my next GST cheque when I lived in Regina they took the amount I owe from that. Took about two month or more before both provinces worked it all out and then since Saskatchewan has something else I got more money on my GST. It will all balance out. Then when I moved from Saskatchewan back to Ontario they had to redo everything and I got trillium.
On your CRA account there is a section for benefits - I had a copy of the letter in that section describing what was happening.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8254 posts
1711 upvotes
anastasia1009 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:39 pm
Happened to me when I moved from Ontario to Saskatchewan - I got a letter saying I owe money due to the fact you get more in Ontario than Saskatchewan. I never saw it on on my CRA for a bit but when I got my next GST cheque when I lived in Regina they took the amount I owe from that. Took about two month or more before both provinces worked it all out and then since Saskatchewan has something else I got more money on my GST. It will all balance out. Then when I moved from Saskatchewan back to Ontario they had to redo everything and I got trillium.
On your CRA account there is a section for benefits - I had a copy of the letter in that section describing what was happening.
Ok, so then I guess they have 0 under balance because they don't really care if I pay it myself or not, since then they will just deduct it from the next GST/HST refund huh.

Good to know, thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)