None
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42654 posts
3228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
r00t_decision wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 2:22 am
I mention that's what the article says. However, I will comprise if our Income taxes our lower, since it's been a while since they have been lowered.
If that's the case, and if the majority of Canadians wanted that, it would be the Liberals governing right now, not Harper. (Yes, Harper is governing, not the Conservatives :lol :)

It was a clear debate in the last campaign on which was to be lowered. Canadians chose sales tax.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
125 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 11:46 am

Well considering there were political investigations toward the Liberals a few years ago to back watering money to ad firms, the investigation into the RCMP a while ago, the Airbus incident, to name a few. I don't see how anyone in parliament is playing fair game. Unless you counter all the bickering after an election and a parliament coalition that stopped 2 months of bureaucratic government loathing progressive for this country.
you clearly don't understand politics. the US gov't is just as corrupt, if not more, then ours. there isn't one government in the world that isn't corrupt to an extent.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
May 18th, 2009 12:00 pm
I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote:
Nov 4th, 2008 8:43 pm
Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
125 upvotes
tomtomtom wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 11:23 am
Stop b!tching about it, American's pay for their own health care. What do you pay?
actually, if you live in ontario you do pay for your own health care, courtesy of mcgiggle's "health premium"
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
May 18th, 2009 12:00 pm
I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote:
Nov 4th, 2008 8:43 pm
Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17262 posts
521 upvotes
Move to alberta, no pst and best earnings per capita. Anyways GST will eventually be gone im sure, im sorta suprised they didnt cut it a % yesturday considering that would help promote spending but would still load the coffers. Oh wells.
Dec 3, 2008
85 posts
1 upvote
r00t_decision wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 8:56 am
I love American shopping because they don't get taxed. Why is the GST and PST still around, when you consider Canada has a solid credit hold on it's financial institutions, we have a surplus our natural resources with our GDP, among other things. Why are, we, as Canadians still be charged these stupid taxes? Where do they go again, I forget?

[IMG]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7527/capturecs5.jpg[/IMG]

I spent 1 hour shopping for a dell min 9 on Dell's website. I want to buy this system for under $500.00 Canadian, but it's nearly impossible, if you want a decent netbook for intermediate use as as computer user. When I began customizing my system under my budget restraint, I kept thinking in the back of my head that extra $100 dollars almost in tax can go to a better customized system. I put in a 64gb solid state drive and 2gigs of ddr2 ram in the system, but the price went to $700.00 with tax (no shipping costs).

I was forced to lower my expectations and reduce the amount of hardware I got, because paying $700.00 for a netbook is out of the question. Finally when I came to a setup I liked, I came to a decent base price, but omg the tax.

$44.00 for PST
$28.00 for GST (rounded)

that's almost $80.00.

Can someone tell me why this tax is good for Canada and where does it go exactly? Tell me it goes to our infrastructure, health care, education, reserve, budget. It's enough that our pay cheques and a few other things are taxed, as well, with the GST and PST which are our bills. Why has the broken promises of killing one of these taxes, fallen through the cracks?

I feel like punching every Prime Minister and Finance Minister since 1980 right in the face. Add to the fact Canada has crooked, deceitful politician (case in point the current fiasco in Parliament hill), these taxes just piss me right off.
The taxes are just going to go up now that Harper is putting debt on our countries national credit line
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42654 posts
3228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Super strokey wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 10:29 am
Move to alberta, no pst and best earnings per capita. Anyways GST will eventually be gone im sure, im sorta suprised they didnt cut it a % yesturday considering that would help promote spending but would still load the coffers. Oh wells.
You're from Edmonton, I don't blame you, but the rest of Canada wants income tax reduction > sales tax reduction.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19047 posts
1504 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 1:14 pm
I'm from Toronto, last I heard from our city council, is they don't spend our taxes wisely. I can't remember the story, because we all have short term memories when it comes to financial news. The people in power don't make the good choices or abuse tax payer money, even in an industrialized society.

I won't say to you, do you watch the news? Because that's inconsiderate and it's ignorant. However I will say, that there have been problems in the past with this, and in Canada for sure.

heheh, like that doesn't happen in most 1st class countries. It happens every so often, and every so often a politician is one the news about it or a bunch of politicians in any given country.
I think you people need a serious reality check, if because a portion of your tax dollars gets put toward things you don't agree with, it puts you even on the same plane as people living under these warlord dictators.

Your tax dollars pay for your health care, you roads to drive on, your social safety net, help for the destitute, protection for the elderly. In these other places, where people STILL PAY THE SAME TAX, it goes towards buying the president a gold encrusted Mercedes, hiring his palace staff, and buying munitions to fund the war that strokes his ego.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jan 11, 2009
687 posts
10 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 10:47 am
I think you people need a serious reality check, if because a portion of your tax dollars gets put toward things you don't agree with, it puts you even on the same plane as people living under these warlord dictators.

Your tax dollars pay for your health care, you roads to drive on, your social safety net, help for the destitute, protection for the elderly. In these other places, where people STILL PAY THE SAME TAX, it goes towards buying the president a gold encrusted Mercedes, hiring his palace staff, and buying munitions to fund the war that strokes his ego.
+1 well said
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8815 posts
1305 upvotes
Victoria
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 10:42 am
You're from Edmonton, I don't blame you, but the rest of Canada wants income tax reduction > sales tax reduction.
I'm in alberta and most people don't realize that its not all about the PST. Our provincial income tax is a flate rate of under 10 percent. So unless you make over 80k a year (give or take), the income tax rates are lower in almost every other province.

I think if you paid bc income tax and their PST, you'd come out ahead tax wise. than just paying alberta income tax.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2373 posts
64 upvotes
Saskatoon
Eyeman wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 7:52 am
Typical NDP think.
Huh? I'm a fiscal conservative. If the gov't is spending more than it takes in in revenue they are just deferring the tax burden to pay for the overspending. Future generations have to pay for it. We are still servicing debt that was incurred before I was born. The more debt that gets paid off the less money is wasted servicing this debt, then you can cut taxes since you no longer need to raise as much.

~15% of all tax revenue goes to pay the interest on the debt. If there was no debt taxes could be cut by ~15% across the board. That is hardly "NDP think". The NDP would rather increase spending by spending money we don't have and/or raising taxes.

Noted neo-con Francis Fukuyama recently wrote

Prior to the 1980s, conservatives were fiscally conservative
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42654 posts
3228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zod wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 8:51 pm
I'm in alberta and most people don't realize that its not all about the PST. Our provincial income tax is a flate rate of under 10 percent. So unless you make over 80k a year (give or take), the income tax rates are lower in almost every other province.

I think if you paid bc income tax and their PST, you'd come out ahead tax wise. than just paying alberta income tax.
That's an interesting fact to know, never aware that Alberta pays for more income tax. Now I have something to say when they always brag about how they only have to pay 5% GST :lol:
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
25 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 8:51 pm
If by almost every other province you mean just BC, then yes that will be true. For the other 8 provinces, if you make between 10K and 80K you're paying less income tax in Alberta.

http://taxtips.ca/taxrates/taxcomparison.htm
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1412 posts
386 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
[quote="asdfvcx" post_id="8175035" time="1233330649" user_id="27146"]If by almost every other province you mean just BC, then yes that will be true. For the other 8 provinces, if you make between 10K and 80K you're paying less income tax in Alberta.

http://taxtips.ca/taxrates/taxcomparison.htm[/QUOTe]Give him a break, Alberta's education system has been cut back so much, we can't do math anymore :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8815 posts
1305 upvotes
Victoria
caltran wrote:
Jan 30th, 2009 11:02 am
Give him a break, Alberta's education system has been cut back so much, we can't do math anymore :)
Actually I was educated in BC, I only moved here a few years ago for work (like everyone else :) ).

NFLD has 7.7% on the first 31, but then 12.8 percent on the next 31000ish, so that would be cheaper if you made below a certain level.

Ontario is 6.05% on the first 36848 and 9.15% on the next 36850
BC is 5.06 on the first 35kish and 7.7 on the next 35kish

NS is 8.79 on the first 29590 then its a huge jump. So only a bonus if you're low income.

Yukon is 7.04 on first 38k and 9.68 on the next 36k

nanavut is 4% on first 38k, 7% on the next 38.. etc..
NWT are also pretty low

So you can see where I was seeing lower rates in a few provinces and all territories. Albeit BC and Ontario, Territories, have the only real advantage if you're making an average sized income..
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
25 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jan 30th, 2009 11:29 am
So you can see where I was seeing lower rates in a few provinces and all territories. Albeit BC and Ontario, Territories, have the only real advantage if you're making an average sized income..
Yes, but in Alberta you don't pay provincial income tax on your first $16k of income. In the other provinces you start paying provincial income tax on much lower amounts. This causes Alberta to have much lower income tax than all of the other provinces except BC.