Shopping Discussion

[GTA] Bobby's Liquidation Outlet @ Steeles Avenue and the 404 (25 former sears suppliers merchandise)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 10:29 am
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

[GTA] Bobby's Liquidation Outlet @ Steeles Avenue and the 404 (25 former sears suppliers merchandise)

The grand opening takes place November 20, though the store has already quietly launched.
Anyone been there?

https://bobbysliquidation.com/

from http://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/201 ... t-markham/
Just when you thought Sears Canada was dead and gone, one of its former stores will be transformed into a mega liquidation outlet in Markham.

As Sears continues to close its doors, 25 former suppliers have banned together to open Bobby's Liquidation Outlet near Steeles Avenue and the 404. The mammoth store is 150,000 square feet and will be staffed by at least some former Sears employees.

Sears Canada announced last month it would be closing all of its stores and going out of business after decades of serving the Canadian retail landscape.

Anyone who's still feeling the absence of the Sears stores can now peruse similar inventory at the new outlet, which is billed as a direct to the public warehouse sale.

The grand opening takes place November 20, though the store has already quietly launched. With all the chaos that ensued at the Sears liquidation sales, it might be a good idea to get there early.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Wasn't that location already one of the Sears outlet stores before?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
playnicee1 wrote: Wasn't that location already one of the Sears outlet stores before?
Yes, was a former Sears outlet store.

"a group of 25 Canadian companies have come together to open a 150,000-square-foot, two-story mega liquidation centre in Markham where a Sears store once stood, and sell their orphaned Sears inventory direct to the public at deeply discounted prices."
Feb 22, 2016
188 posts
148 upvotes
So instead of renovating n opening up more stores to make that place into an actual, thriving mall....they just open what they had before. Fantastic.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Yes, was a former Sears outlet store.

"a group of 25 Canadian companies have come together to open a 150,000-square-foot, two-story mega liquidation centre in Markham where a Sears store once stood, and sell their orphaned Sears inventory direct to the public at deeply discounted prices."
WRONG!!! (correcting the article, not you) It's where a Sears OUTLET store once stood.
I guess Bobby assumed that because the outlet customers were already there, why not build on that and keep them!

Around the same time they chose to close all or most of the outlet stores, the third floor of Sears Scarborough became a clearance centre.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1263 posts
59 upvotes
Markham
Was there last night, most of the suits and stuff were old colours like brown, tan , or black. Depending on your body size if they will fit. Also had a bunch of bed and bath related things like sheets and towels. I did find a jack and jones cardigan for $20 that I thought was reasonable but other then that maybe a couple of dress shirts that would look decent.
Nov 15, 2017
8 posts
4 upvotes
I was there today. They had Jessica dresses at 10 bucks. Very cute ones. I thought the prices were really good. They have a lot of products that Sears had but also name brand stuff like Winners. Only the bottom floor is open right now. I saw some staff I knew from when it was Sears but there were new faces too. I met Bobby. What a great guy! He’s a man with special needs. Apparently they adults with special needs using some of the space for programming life skills job training etc. They are also giving some of their profits to special-needs charities. I thought that was really great. It’s not the same concept as Sears. This store is all about supporting people with special needs and has its own personality There’s a lot of stuff there still putting out because their grand opening Is Monday and they have only been open for a one week. This store was always busy when it was sears Unlike the promenade Sears location for example. They told me that’s why they decided to open their store in that location. It was a very good location for the store and the sales at that store always did very well. I know a lot of the sears stores We’re dead but I shopped at this one and it got pretty busy. I had a lot of namebrand stuff that was seriously discounted. I had a really good experience and the staff are nice.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
I read sears gift card is accepted during liquidation. Would Bobby's Liquidation Outlet take sears gift card? I want to use the gift card before all sears are closed.
Nov 15, 2017
8 posts
4 upvotes
no its not sears. its a completely different store. i dont think the sears stores will honor them anymore as a liquidator has taken over the stores but good luck with that. id act fast if i were u
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
bigcat123 wrote: So instead of renovating n opening up more stores to make that place into an actual, thriving mall....they just open what they had before. Fantastic.
Community Malls are dying.

Why do you think Target and now Sears went bankrupt?

It wasn't for fun.

People think they are smart when they shop online, but when too many people do it, businesses die and people lose their job.

It's not just Sears that dies, it's the food court businesses and eventually the mall cleaning staff need to be let go.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
I passed by the place, the store has a lit up sign and not just a banner.

Seems like more than a pop up store.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
renoldman wrote: Community Malls are dying.

It wasn't for fun.

People think they are smart when they shop online, but when too many people do it, businesses die and people lose their job.

It's not just Sears that dies, it's the food court businesses and eventually the mall cleaning staff need to be let go.
Ugh no that's not why target failed here, far from it.
Nov 15, 2017
8 posts
4 upvotes
they have a flea market in the store on the weekends, very original idea! we gotta support these canadian companies and not let the big wigs push them all out
i went they have awesome costume jewlery!! a lot of it is name brand and all of it is discounted. good stocking stuffers for my Christmas gifts!!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4158 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto
I went today and this place is mostly out of style/discontinued/old stock. I took a quick look and most of the stuff are overpriced. I was looking mostly for home decor and furniture. The furniture/lamps/overhead lightning were pretty much all overpriced and out of style. An old style dresser was $150 where you could get a newer one at ikea for half the price.

Lots of other liquidation places(i.e closeout king/samteck warehouse etc.) way better than this place. Hope it improves after their grand opening.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Grand opening today at 11am
There will be light refreshments

Screenshot.png
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1848 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
I’m not too far from their, definately going to go check it out.
I like the fact, they also hire individuals with special needs. Low prices too. Everybody wins. Pat Foren on CTV new just did a piece on it tonight. Maybe you can stream it on CTV Toronto News website
Nov 15, 2017
8 posts
4 upvotes
regarding the post about cloesout king being better...seriously??!! that place was in this location for 5 months. it was a dump!! they had pure junk! im shocked that anyone can think that place is better. the poster must work for them. if anyone was in the store during that time they will agree that it was not at all impressive. bobbys has for example Alfred Sung necklaces for $9.99 designer jeans for$10 and some non designer dress pants were $1.49 the material would cost more. Not to mention the special needs job experience program(im a mother of 2 adults with special needs so believe me that is a huge opportunity for that community). they are even letting some special needs groups to sell their own products with full profits going back to them and giving them free space to sell it. show me one other store doing anything like that
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
shopoholic246 wrote: the poster must work for them.
You got 6 posts, all praising Bobbys.

When you point one finger, there are three fingers pointing back to you
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
bigcat123 wrote: So instead of renovating n opening up more stores to make that place into an actual, thriving mall....they just open what they had before. Fantastic.
renoldman wrote: Community Malls are dying.

It wasn't for fun.

Retail is dying. What about the mall?
https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story ... the-mall-/

TD;LR Malls could become the home of karate and dance studios, medical offices, churches and schools, Qiu said.
Or perhaps — as is currently proposed for Cambridge — an empty department store could be transformed into a city-owned sports and recreation complex.
Shopping malls are well-situated. They have lots of parking, are often close to highways, and are also transit hubs.