[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto

[GTA] Durham Region Developments Mega Thread

UPDATE 2 - 06/1/2016

This thread has been converted into a discussion for anything related to the booming real estate market in the East end of the GTA.

UPDATE - 01/13/2016

User jamal_444 has done some research and identified majority of these early developments (including Mattamy, New Seaton, Lebovic, etc.) back right up onto a pipeline easement. Developers are not being very open about this at the moment. Mattamy updated their siteplan to include the pipeline easement, but it does not show up very clearly on their siteplan. Resale value for these homes will definitely be impacted in the future. You can try negotiating an appropriate price with the builders if they budge. Here is the information jamal_444 has provided:

Official Mattamy plan from the City of Pickering:

Phase 1 and 2 of the Mattamy developments (lots 1, 2, and 3) are backing onto the 61 year old TransNorthern pipeline which carries jet fuel from Montreal to YYZ. Here is the official site plan released from Mattamy, it's hard to tell what the text says because it's so small but it reads out to say "TNPEASEMENT". The future developments actually have it worse once those are built.

Here are the posts from Jamal:

Post #98
Post #111

Make sure you know what you're getting into and think about the resale value for some of these future developments.

Original post:

[GTA] 30,000 projected new developments in Pickering-Seaton

Recently I was interested in a new Mattamy Home development, the sales centre opening was yesterday. Was sadly disappointed as over 500 people were in line to purchase 65 lots. I've heard of huge lines, but never saw anything like this before. Being discouraged, my SO did some research previously and remembered stumbling upon this article:

Pickering's huge Seaton development clears final hurdle - Infrastructure work will soon begin on Canada’s largest residential project, 10 years after developers agreed to a moraine land swap..

With the provincial government land swap, it has opened up the potential of over 30,000 new developments over the next 10 years. Gaining more interest, my SO also found this from the Pickering municipal website, the permits approved on how many developments are going to be built - http://www.pickering.ca/en/business/res ... ermits.pdf

Mattamy has approval for about 2500 new developments for the next 5 years, pretty massive. There are also many other developers involved as well, so it looks like a great time for many first time home-buyers (incl. myself). We wanted to buy a resale home next year but with the potential mortgage rate increase and inflated housing market, we think it will be best to rent and purchase a pre-development so we can save more.

What do you guys think about this? Hopefully this brings good news for those who were interested in purchasing a new home within the next 5 years at least. With housing developments, will come more commercial plazas, employment opportunities, parks, schools, etc. Hopefully this is a good thing!
Last edited by redkulat on Sep 28th, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2211 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1223 posts
118 upvotes
Is this the Seaton project?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Digo wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 5:29 pm
Is this the Seaton project?
Yeah it is! I couldn't find anything on this sub-forum so thought I'd post it here.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3811 posts
175 upvotes
redkulat wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 9:45 pm
Yeah it is! I couldn't find anything on this sub-forum so thought I'd post it here.
any idea on the pricings for the detached? 36" +

thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
mingyang wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 11:12 pm
any idea on the pricings for the detached? 36" +

thanks
For Mattamy Homes, the prices I've compared for the townhomes are very similar to the developments in Milton. If comparing the 36" lots, the prices will most likely be $10-15K less than these: http://mattamyhomes.com/gta/communities ... llage.aspx
Sep 29, 2002
291 posts
8 upvotes
I was there at the opening about 2 hours before and was surprised at the large demand. Supposedly people started lining up from Thursday at 9am for the opening this past Saturday!

It didn't help that Mattamy didn't have any control of the lines, I was really disappointed as I was looking forward to this project. One things for certain, now that Mattamy knows the demand is there, I would surely see price increases on the Detatched homes they will be selling in January.
Heatware: sandrasagra :D

FS [TORONTO ONLY] - PMBOK 4TH EDITION $50
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Sandrasagra wrote:
Nov 30th, 2015 2:19 pm
I was there at the opening about 2 hours before and was surprised at the large demand. Supposedly people started lining up from Thursday at 9am for the opening this past Saturday!

It didn't help that Mattamy didn't have any control of the lines, I was really disappointed as I was looking forward to this project. One things for certain, now that Mattamy knows the demand is there, I would surely see price increases on the Detatched homes they will be selling in January.
Tell me about it man, mind you I only got there at 11 AM and was surprised to hear people were camping out three days before the sales centre opened and I also heard people were paid $1000 to hold a place in line for others.

The detached house prices are very comparable to the Milton development: http://mattamyhomes.com/gta/communit...h-village.aspx. I'm mostly basing this off comparing the rownhome prices because they have the same exact designs but were $10-15K higher in Milton, so I would assume it would be similar.

The demand for the detached will also be crazy too but hearing there will be a large influx of developments coming up from other builders makes me feel a bit better but I wanted to go with Mattamy with their awesome track record.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2892 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
redkulat wrote:
Nov 30th, 2015 2:35 pm
Mattamy with their awesome track record.
LOL WUT?... You're kidding, right?!

I guess you've never seen a Mattamy-built home at the framing stage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2015 4:45 pm
LOL WUT?... You're kidding, right?!

I guess you've never seen a Mattamy-built home at the framing stage.
No I haven't, I was honestly just reading reviews and feedback from others on RFD. Do you have any suggestions on what builders are good?
May 6, 2015
462 posts
63 upvotes
i would say wait it out REDKULAT. There are 3 more builders coming to that very area. Lebovic is the biggest one there b/c they own the most land in that development. You have brookfieled coming in summer 2016. And there is a third unnamed builder coming in the summer too. No point waiting for these in line, especially when they will not give you any incentive due to high demand.

I currently own a lebovic home in the seaton area (1 year old) and these guys release pretty much all homes at once. No waits or gimmicks. They keep like their largest 10 lots for the final release so they can make more $$

And pretty much all builders have crap build quality. Mattamy is definitely one of them. The best builder is John Boddy (timely delivery, they haven't delayed a development in 30+ years, quality is excellent, and they're very flexible).

Lebovic is also subpar. Lots of issues after delivery of the home. I can speak from experience that the workmanship is terrible. You'll get the same feedback for mattamy. Now that these guys are so big they don't really care on the product.
May 6, 2015
462 posts
63 upvotes
oh and one more thing, Brookfield has this appointment based system. You register with them, then they send out an email a day/two before the release the and you essentially BOOK your spot. If you have a spot you get the choice of what's available. None of this camping out in the bitter cold for 5 days nonsense
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3558 posts
527 upvotes
How do I make money off this 30k developments?
Post hole digger
Moving company
Landscaping

Any other ideas?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
rigalpatel wrote:
Dec 1st, 2015 9:24 am
oh and one more thing, Brookfield has this appointment based system. You register with them, then they send out an email a day/two before the release the and you essentially BOOK your spot. If you have a spot you get the choice of what's available. None of this camping out in the bitter cold for 5 days nonsense
Thank you for this Rigal, it makes me feel better. I saw there site recently actually with two other developers. I assume they are all partnering to build "New Seaton"?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1690 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
fenomenon wrote:
Dec 1st, 2015 4:24 pm
Anyone have the price list?
The price list for the Mattamy developments are up only for the townhomes. The detached houses are going to be priced similar to the Mattamy Milton developments (may 10-15K less than Milton). I haven't seen anything come up for any of the developers yet but expect them to be in the same price range.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel