• Oct 17th, 2017 1:13 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3070 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
mingyang wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 11:18 am
just saw this house sold for 970k in ajax. what the f.......
http://watch.ohmyhome.ca/#/mls/E3709303
you must be new around here... that's pretty much the going rate for a 4 bed/3 bath detached home... WITH a walkout basement to boot, in Durham Region. That same house in Brooklin would be over a million easily.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3934 posts
232 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:17 am
you must be new around here... that's pretty much the going rate for a 4 bed/3 bath detached home... WITH a walkout basement to boot, in Durham Region. That same house in Brooklin would be over a million easily.
ive been here for a long time. again same street 3-4 months earlier with walkout basement plus 9 feet main floor sold for 100k less and that house was bigger. i know that area well, i should have posted that info in my initial post though. alot of things in the thread is about new build prices. im just astound by the recent resale prices
Jan 1, 2013
587 posts
110 upvotes
Durham
mingyang wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:39 am
ive been here for a long time. again same street 3-4 months earlier with walkout basement plus 9 feet main floor sold for 100k less and that house was bigger. i know that area well, i should have posted that info in my initial post though. alot of things in the thread is about new build prices. im just astound by the recent resale prices
The area is hot with very limited inventory. Look around Tauton and Salem/Audley. A small 3 bedroom semi sold for $670. Many of the four bedroom houses in that area have been in the $1mil category for awhile. Prices are well up from last year at this time.

Sad part is, new build way further East are actually more expensive then these resales in Ajax.
Last edited by Kkhan15 on Mar 1st, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3934 posts
232 upvotes
jonnyb wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 4:17 am
How much are we betting?
The Tribute site actually starts closing June of this year. There are numerous other builders sites with homes closing in as little as 6 months from now in Oshawa, some even in Courtice that are selling for well over a million.
If you would like me to expand and look at the previous Tribute phase for resales a number of them have gone for 900k +. Most of those homes were bought a little over 2 years ago for 500k so they're appreciating quite nicely.
c'mon man, the ones are closing this year did not pay those prices that are currently online. prices difference probably 100k. i know oshawa boom 30%+ in recent year. 50% if we look back 2 years. these are mainly due to new build. i dont think we're disagreeing on that.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3070 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
mingyang wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:39 am
you have to realize that 3-4 months ago we were in what is usually considered the slowest RE season (houses usually don't go into bidding wars and inventory can be low). So, seeing a big jump as we're just on the cusp of the spring market is really no surprise.

As others have mentioned, people coming from other areas of the GTA would look at that type of house under a million as a steal. So, while you have you perspective and knowledge of the area, other "outsiders" from York or Scarborough looking for a bigger house would jump all over that house at that price.
Jan 1, 2013
587 posts
110 upvotes
Durham
mingyang wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:44 am
c'mon man, the ones are closing this year did not pay those prices that are currently online. prices difference probably 100k. i know oshawa boom 30%+ in recent year. 50% if we look back 2 years. these are mainly due to new build. i dont think we're disagreeing on that.
My friend in North Oshawa bought a premium lot 3000sq/ft for $400,000 including upgrades which closed in 2013. His neighbour smaller home but nice pie lot with pool just sold for over $1mil Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3934 posts
232 upvotes
Kkhan15 wrote:
The area is hot with very limited inventory. Look around Tauton and Salem/Audley. A small 3 bedroom semi sold for $670. Many of the four bedroom houses in that area have been in the $1mil category for awhile. Prices are well up from last year at this time.

Sad part is, new build way further East are actually more expensive then these resales in Ajax.
in that area, this 970k was the most expense sold, and another one 911k same street sold couple weeks ago. where do you see 1 mill $ house sold in that area? yes there are some - not many north of rossland sold close to 1 mill if you include them in that area, but those houses are have design and features as they are built by different builder. everyone here is riding along with the crazy prices in durham, im just doing some analysis of that area. it would be interesting to see how many inventory comes out of that area coming Spring and if the prices stay that way.
Jan 1, 2013
587 posts
110 upvotes
Durham
mingyang wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:19 am
in that area, this 970k was the most expense sold, and another one 911k same street sold couple weeks ago. where do you see 1 mill $ house sold in that area? yes there are some - not many north of rossland sold close to 1 mill if you include them in that area, but those houses are have design and features as they are built by different builder. everyone here is riding along with the crazy prices in durham, im just doing some analysis of that area. it would be interesting to see how many inventory comes out of that area coming Spring and if the prices stay that way.
Just looked again. Looks like its the Sundial area. I was comparing to the older Tribute Area as well as just North of Rossland. That Sundial area is risky to spend that kind of money. Many have become rentals already drawing riffraff, including the shooting a few weeks ago. Area started of nice but many streets are starting to show age due to low maintenance. Buddy of mine sold sold his home and left that area.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9402 posts
1178 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote:

mingyang wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:19 am
To follow up on my post earlier, Last end of May, my friend sold his for mid 700s (he was the first owner) where right across the street that just sold for $1.1 mil. It was a corner lot too. Looks to be the same size. Only difference is the one recently sold had their basement done. My friend didn't do his basement. His house number was 8! Sold it to a guy from China. Bully offer at the time too. We thought it was even high then. Sold before it even hit MLS and only available to other realtors. I bet if he did the basement and kept it now, it would clobber that $1.1 mil. house.

Maybe that was a sign. I made a joke that I would bid for his place. Could have easily done a private non-realtor transaction. Looks like it wasn't a joke.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3934 posts
232 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:50 am
To follow up on my post earlier, Last end of May, my friend sold his for mid 700s (he was the first owner) where right across the street that just sold for $1.1 mil. It was a corner lot too. Looks to be the same size. Only difference is the one recently sold had their basement done. My friend didn't do his basement. His house number was 8! Sold it to a guy from China. Bully offer at the time too. We thought it was even high then. Sold before it even hit MLS and only available to other realtors. I bet if he did the basement and kept it now, it would clobber that $1.1 mil. house.

Maybe that was a sign. I made a joke that I would bid for his place. Could have easily done a private non-realtor transaction. Looks like it wasn't a joke.
it's a different type of corner house. the #11 is bigger model house. #8 in terms of sqft is between 2000to2500sqft.
the funny thing is i just looked back at my emails. the #8 was sold in 1 day. i received this email
"Thank you for your interest. This house was sold in one day."
not sure if u missed my post about the 1.1 mill house. it's a premium lot with big pie shaped back yard. basement is partially finished by builder medallion making it about 3000sqft. the combined 1st+2nd floor sqft is about 2700sqft.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9402 posts
1178 upvotes
Toronto
mingyang wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 1:30 pm
it's a different type of corner house. the #11 is bigger model house. #8 in terms of sqft is between 2000to2500sqft.
the funny thing is i just looked back at my emails. the #8 was sold in 1 day. i received this email
"Thank you for your interest. This house was sold in one day."
not sure if u missed my post about the 1.1 mill house. it's a premium lot with big pie shaped back yard. basement is partially finished by builder medallion making it about 3000sqft. the combined 1st+2nd floor sqft is about 2700sqft.
Ahh, good to know. Makes sense it's a premium/bigger model. Since the 2015 price for 11 is what my friend got in 2016. But it still wouldn't be far off, esp with the 8 premium. Probably about a mil now (assuming basement is finished). I'm thinking if they went for open bids, firm offer night, it would have gone higher. They just took the offer that they thought was good, and beyond their expectations. I think they were expecting about low 700s. Also, I think the Chinese money just even back then wasn't as prevalent in Ajax as it would be now. That low-mid 1.xx mil in the burbs seems to be the sweet spot.
Jan 1, 2013
587 posts
110 upvotes
Durham
To think in 2013 we were able to see our house twice before putting in an offer. An offer that was less then listed and accepted. I think the rises started in 2013 because a few months after we bought, semi's hit the price we paid. Bowmanville sure does look good now
Dec 7, 2016
5 posts
Bought our townhouse in January 2016 mattamy phase 1 with a closing of July 11 2017, just got an email notice yesterday stating we've been delayed to November 8, 2017! I was expecting a delay but not 5 months....
Feb 18, 2013
158 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
^^^

5 months is nothing, my brother in law's townhouse was delayed 2.5 years, and mine over a year

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)