Real Estate

[GTA] Durham Region Developments Mega Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 11:23 am
Mar 6, 2017
15 posts
Kkhan15 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:35 am
Just looked again. Looks like its the Sundial area. I was comparing to the older Tribute Area as well as just North of Rossland. That Sundial area is risky to spend that kind of money. Many have become rentals already drawing riffraff, including the shooting a few weeks ago. Area started of nice but many streets are starting to show age due to low maintenance. Buddy of mine sold sold his home and left that area.
We had taken a look at the Sundial development several years ago and so thankful we decided to walk away. We ended up buying resale in a mature neighbourhood at Salem & Taunton close to the Somerset plaza and Audley Recreation Centre. It's too bad that bidding wars have prevented so many people from buying resale, because resale allows a person to choose their neighbors.
Jan 13, 2017
246 posts
79 upvotes
TOjuice wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:54 am
We had taken a look at the Sundial development several years ago and so thankful we decided to walk away. We ended up buying resale in a mature neighbourhood at Salem & Taunton close to the Somerset plaza and Audley Recreation Centre. It's too bad that bidding wars have prevented so many people from buying resale, because resale allows a person to choose their neighbors.
The Sundial development area didn't plan the area well. There are no schools around the area. There was suppose to be one built there, but I guess the town nixed it. I would never buy a sundial home or that area. Good choice TOjuice in buying at taunton and salem area. You have a plaza nearby(shoppers/Metro/Shell gas station/Swiss Chalet/TD Bank..etc), and multiple schools within the area. Also, ARC is fairly close as well. That area use to be priced well a few years back, but now the houses there is expensive!

Edit: I guess I was wrong...they are building a school there....
Last edited by Dragonrana2 on Mar 8th, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3985 posts
257 upvotes
Dragonrana2 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 11:41 am
The Sundial development area didn't plan the area well. There are no schools around the area. There was suppose to be one built there, but I guess the town nixed it. I would never buy a sundial home or that area. Good choice TOjuice in buying at taunton and salem area. You have a plaza nearby(shoppers/Metro/Shell gas station/Swiss Chalet/TD Bank..etc), and multiple schools within the area. Also, ARC is fairly close as well. That area use to be priced well a few years back, but now the houses there is expensive!
could you back up such statement with facts?

http://www.ddsb.ca/AboutUs/BudgetFinanc ... 6-2017.pdf
two new schools opening September, 2018 (Unnamed Mulberry Meadows PS and Unnamed Windfield Farms PS) and three
additions (Claremont PS, R.S. McLaughlin CVI and Eastdale Collegiate).
Construction is expected to begin in spring 2017. We will continue to update families on the progress of
the project and we appreciate the continued cooperation and support of the community

The Unnamed Mulberry Meadows Public School to be located at Formosa Avenue and Turnerbury
Avenue (south of Rossland Road, west of Audley Road)
Jan 1, 2013
601 posts
115 upvotes
Durham
TOjuice wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:54 am
I agree. In 2013 we were very close to buying Sundial as well, but didn't like the fact the area was surrounded by stacked towns, horrible idea. Like you we ended up buying a resale but towards the Audley side of Taunton. Walking distance to the ARC. No regrets.
Jan 1, 2013
601 posts
115 upvotes
Durham
mingyang wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:04 pm
could you back up such statement with facts?

http://www.ddsb.ca/AboutUs/BudgetFinanc ... 6-2017.pdf
two new schools opening September, 2018 (Unnamed Mulberry Meadows PS and Unnamed Windfield Farms PS) and three
additions (Claremont PS, R.S. McLaughlin CVI and Eastdale Collegiate).
People don't realize that schools are not built until area's are fully developed. Sundial is far from complete
Mar 7, 2017
1 posts
I found the price list for stonebury gates Ajax, they are just townhouses. Any thought?
Images
  • IMG_1321.JPG
Jan 31, 2016
374 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Durham housing market hits record high with 37 per cent increase
March 6, 2017 @ 4:04 PM
Posted by: DRAR

Rest here: http://www.durhamrealestate.org/blogEntry.cfm?b=14351

The average selling price in Durham reached $665,005 last month. In comparison, the average selling price was $490,081 during the same period last year; a 37 percent increase. “We’re continuing to see record highs in average selling price,” said Bouma. “This year alone, from January to February, we have seen the average selling price increase by almost 10 percent.”

“Homeownership remains affordable in the Durham Region, when compared to other neighbouring Toronto communities,” said Bouma. “Durham has long been the best kept secret in the GTA, but it no longer is. The buyers come looking because of our relative value and stay because they fall in love with our great communities,” adding “who can blame them?”
Mar 6, 2017
15 posts
Dragonrana2 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 11:41 am

Edit: I guess I was wrong...they are building a school there....
Thanks Dragonrana2 - we feel very fortunate to have gotten into the neighbourhood when we did. We had a great agent also who gave us great advice: e.g. "The price for this place in deep Whitby almost on the Oshawa border isn't worth it. You can get something closer to the city for this price point". The key lesson I learned from her is that not all Real Estate agents are created equal. Our place was sold to us on a long weekend which the seller's agent should have known is a bad idea, but a lot of newbies with little experience are agents now to try to cash-in on the boom. The long weekend factor cut down our competition from what would likely have been 20+ offers to 5 or 6. My agent spotted the weakness in the seller's strategy and we pounced.
Mar 6, 2017
15 posts
Kkhan15 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 3:11 pm
I agree. In 2013 we were very close to buying Sundial as well, but didn't like the fact the area was surrounded by stacked towns, horrible idea. Like you we ended up buying a resale but towards the Audley side of Taunton. Walking distance to the ARC. No regrets.
Hello neighbour :-) I'm not surprised you have no regrets as it's a great area - multiple schools, shopping, a recreation centre, and a golf course all within 2 minutes of where you live. Also just as important is the pride of ownership that shines through. I also like the fact that the streets are pretty wide and there is decent spacing between the homes. It makes for a more open and roomy feel as opposed to a bunch of houses all jammed together like some of the newer developments. It feels like a traditional 1980s/1990s Toronto neighbourhood that I grew up in.
Feb 8, 2017
42 posts
5 upvotes
Anyone here bought a property at Brockton Trails? They have barely started any work and the winter has been better than expected (this week excepted). Any one know if there are going to be delays?
May 6, 2015
597 posts
137 upvotes
Unionville, ON
mathiewannabe wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:39 pm
when is NEW SEATON!!!! no updates still!
Lol patience. They are stating for a spring release. So it's likely a month or two away, but don't count on it to be firm. The builders can always change their minds
Nov 5, 2016
24 posts
5 upvotes
Last I heard from Towerhill was "hopefully" June.

That's probably the best case scenario. lol
Jan 18, 2017
16 posts
yeah I head the same from tower hill, they told me early summer may-june.
I'm not sure if the recent idea of implementing a foreign buyers tax in Ontario is causing the builders to reevaluate their pricing and delay.

AmeetH069477 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:54 am
Last I heard from Towerhill was "hopefully" June.

That's probably the best case scenario. lol
Feb 17, 2017
2 posts
Hi, I went to the Mattamy seaton sales centre on the weekend and the sales rep told me that they will be selling more homes for the seaton development likely next year. She said that the new site is across the street (Taunton) from the current site. Upside-down Face