Real Estate

[GTA] Durham Region Developments Mega Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2018 4:58 pm
Apr 20, 2017
55 posts
14 upvotes
On the lender side: cracks-appear-in-torontos
Home Capital’s stock dropped 19 per cent to $18.10 Thursday in New York, the biggest decline in almost two years. Shares of Equitable Group Inc., another Toronto-based alternative lender, fell 7.2 per cent to $59.23. The stock pared some of its losses the next day.
Mar 6, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
If I remember correctly, Home Capital had brokers who processed mortgage applications on falsified income documents. If the government wants to closely monitor the practices of Real Estate agents they'd better do the same with the mortgage lenders.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
JeanMarc40 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:02 pm
On the lender side: cracks-appear-in-torontos
Home Capital’s stock dropped 19 per cent to $18.10 Thursday in New York, the biggest decline in almost two years. Shares of Equitable Group Inc., another Toronto-based alternative lender, fell 7.2 per cent to $59.23. The stock pared some of its losses the next day.
TOjuice wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:14 pm
If I remember correctly, Home Capital had brokers who processed mortgage applications on falsified income documents. If the government wants to closely monitor the practices of Real Estate agents they'd better do the same with the mortgage lenders.
I'm pretty sure there is entire thread dedicated to this topic of Home Capital..... PLEASE ... for the love of God, keep this thread on topic!!!
May 6, 2015
625 posts
145 upvotes
Unionville, ON
YES, let's get back on topic. My uncle drove by the new seaton office and apparently the inside is almost done. Everyday this past week there have been about 6-7 cars in the lot finishing the inside. I expect they'll release in two weeks time?

Maybe around May 14 weekend? Any guesses or inside info? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1060 posts
393 upvotes
Oshawa
Westney Place and Chelsea Hill should also be releasing in May.
Jan 31, 2016
376 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Heard Farsight homes in Bowmanville is looking at May/June release as well.
May 6, 2015
625 posts
145 upvotes
Unionville, ON
It'll be fun to see the demand as it seems all builders are releasing around the same time in Durham (May-June ). Hopefully this will reduce the campers. Even though new seaton has informed that people should NOT line up, i can almost say with 100% certainty there will be a fair share of these fools camping out with/without an appointment letter
Feb 12, 2008
184 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:17 pm
I'm pretty sure there is entire thread dedicated to this topic of Home Capital..... PLEASE ... for the love of God, keep this thread on topic!!!
I'm convinced the thread jackers are actually investors purposely deflecting so others are not made aware of Durham new builds.

In related news.. add Sorbara Homes to the list... Phase 2 of lane towns coming to Brooklin. They list an undisclosed development in Oshawa, however according to Oshawa public hearing meeting;

That, pursuant to Report DS-16-33 dated February 24, 2016, the applications submitted by
Conlin (Oshawa) 130 Acres Inc. (Sorbara Group) to amend Zoning By-law 60-94 (File Z-
2014-05) and for approval of a draft plan of subdivision (S-O-2014-01) to permit the
development of single detached dwellings, street townhouses, medium density residential
blocks, a mixed-use block, part of a public elementary school block, part of a community
park block, a parkette block, open space blocks, a stormwater management pond block,
future development blocks, reserve and road widening blocks and new arterial, collector
and local roads for lands at 850, 880 and 1040 Conlin Road East be referred back to the
Development Services Department for further review and the preparation of a subsequent
report and recommendation. This referral does not constitute or imply any form or degree
of approval.

In total across all phases
250-320 detached 30 to 41 foot lots
344- 612 low density (row / stacked towns? ) homes

Reference / Map of proposed layout

Edit..
Greywood development happening in Oshawa by the lake.
Minimum 184 Detached (24-40 foot lotys)
Minimum 32 Semi detached 24 foot lots
Reference / Map of proposed layout
Apr 23, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
rigalpatel wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:29 pm
YES, let's get back on topic. My uncle drove by the new seaton office and apparently the inside is almost done. Everyday this past week there have been about 6-7 cars in the lot finishing the inside. I expect they'll release in two weeks time?

Maybe around May 14 weekend? Any guesses or inside info? lol
Someone could always contact the Pickering permit department and find out the status of the inspections for the permit to construct the Temporary Sales Centre. ;)
Aug 30, 2013
390 posts
162 upvotes
prairies
rigalpatel wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 2:07 pm
It'll be fun to see the demand as it seems all builders are releasing around the same time in Durham (May-June ). Hopefully this will reduce the campers. Even though new seaton has informed that people should NOT line up, i can almost say with 100% certainty there will be a fair share of these fools camping out with/without an appointment letter
Do you require an appointment letter to view and purchase lots when they release? Or is the line up method just as valid?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11457 posts
1762 upvotes
Markham
sushimon wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 2:36 pm
Someone could always contact the Pickering permit department and find out the status of the inspections for the permit to construct the Temporary Sales Centre. ;)
Speaking of Pickering, it sounds like the new release at Market District by Icon homes did a nice switch with their prices this past weekend
Jul 8, 2008
489 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 5:57 pm
Speaking of Pickering, it sounds like the new release at Market District by Icon homes did a nice switch with their prices this past weekend
what did they do? can you plz enlighten me? thanks!!
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11457 posts
1762 upvotes
Markham
sidde0 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 6:34 pm
what did they do? can you plz enlighten me? thanks!!
Emails said mid 400s starting, click for an appointment and you'll get an appointment in order of your RSVP. I clicked within 20 seconds of getting the email and was offered an afternoon appointment on the Saturday which I did not end up attending. (I should mention the sales rep setting up appointments said only 2 blocks would be released and no price increases until the next phase).

Spoke to someone that attended both days. Saturday morning appeared to be insiders (friends, employees etc) and then regular joes after. They started at 460K. By Sunday morning the identical entry level floorplan facing Dunbarton HS was 540K. Sales Rep openly admitted they jacked the prices up.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1060 posts
393 upvotes
Oshawa
What's the issue with raising prices? It's no secret builders are out to make a profit. Why wouldn't they maximize it if the demand is there.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11457 posts
1762 upvotes
Markham
jonnyb wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 7:04 pm
What's the issue with raising prices? It's no secret builders are out to make a profit. Why wouldn't they maximize it if the demand is there.
Did you read the entire post or just selectively?

If you called someone and set up an appointment and they told you what the prices would be, then attended said appointment and upon arrival were told a new price, would you like that?

What if you discussed a price for something on Kijiji and after driving to see it, the seller said they want 15% more than they told you? It's funny that people will moan about this behavior for a 100$ Kijiji item but home builders get a pass for unethical behavior?

Fortunately for me I knew before the appointments were set up that I wasn't interested in the complex anyway (maintenance fees, limited parking). I do feel bad for anyone who may have had their hopes up though. Raising prices between phases is a different thing entirely.