Real Estate

[GTA] Durham Region Developments Mega Thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2018 4:54 am
Aug 25, 2009
7 posts
1 upvote
Just curious to know what your original closing date was? I just want to know if I would be entitled to delayed compensation as well. I went to my framewalk in January and they also told me that any delays would be on the city’s end. My original closing date was August 2017.
Mar 2, 2016
107 posts
34 upvotes
Xellose wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 1:34 pm
Nope, nothing yet. I had my frame walk in January, and they were working on the exterior siding, and had basically done the insulation and put in the tub, wire and piping. Other than that, the house is expected to be completed in April. The townhouse is expected to be completed in April. I however, doubt it will be ready on time. They did mention that they are "on time" based on their schedule, but any holdback is due to the City not giving the okay for services to be connected.

It's kind of fine, because I am in the period to which delayed compensation is owned. As it stand, if the house is completed and closes by the April date, I will be owed about $3k...so if they need a few mrore days to weeks to fully complete, then I'm happy up until the $7.5k max compensation is achieve.

I'm just waiting to get a registered address so that I can prepare the home insurance as well as the building assessment as required by the bank.
They are waiting on the water connection. They have hydro and gas. For those in phase 1 the homes are pretty much finished on Mattamy’s construction side, as soon as the city finishes their end they can finish up construction. For alot of the townhomes they just need to move in applicances and minor cosmetic fixes. They are looking at closing at least up tpo 100 homes at the same time in April/May.
Mar 2, 2016
107 posts
34 upvotes
blazinpista wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:29 pm
Please keep us updated on your house development. I'm in Phase 2. My closing is set for June 2018 but I doubt it will be ready by then. Just wonder how long it has been since they started building the basement ground. Just to get an idea. how long it will take to build the house.

regards
The foundation is usually what takes the longest. The framing can be done in about 3 to 4 weeks, when that is up you will see roofing and brick laying which is probably another 2 weeks, then you go through frame walk which is before they put up drywall. After that you can expect 1 month for interior finishes. But this depends on how many workers they have on site. When i visited a few times they had quite a bit of workers and it seemed very busy. In November my townhome was just foundation, it now has tiles, flooring and kitchen countertops. My original closing date was August 2017.
Feb 9, 2018
1 posts
Hello Everyone,

First time posting on here. I have been reading through the bulk of these threads and have read some good information.

2 years ago I had purchased a new home from Minto in the king meadow subdivision in North Oshawa. For anyone looking at purchasing a Minto, I highly recommend them. Great quality. AMAZING aftercare an all round good builder.

Regretfully, there towns at Ivy ridge were not what I was looking for and standard features did not match those of the Whitby Meadows/Mattamy/Tiffany Park Homes area.

I have purchased in Hiddenbrook (Tiffany Park) with a closing date of late November 2019. The price was spot on! I bought a 2254 sq/ft end unit townhome with the walk up basement. Included standard is:
- oakstaircases to upstairs and basement
- solid oak floors on main floor and upstairs
- framed glass shower and standalone tub
- 5 appliances
- $5000 at decor

Although some have expressed concerns about the Neighbouring white oaks apartments, the general area will be fine. Monarch subdivision in Queens Common is very well established. I also think that the new Mattamy community will bring a increased income/demographics to the neighborhood overall.

Centrally located to 407/412/401 transit etc.

Any of my potential Neighbours on here ?
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5000 posts
2104 upvotes
ben1628 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 8:51 am
I think everybody knows about this. I know it is a high end RE, but the price has been reduced by 30%, I wonder what happen.

I think there are quite a few people walk away from that deal. To compare to Mattamy in Queen Commons, which is about 12% reduction.

http://oreo2.itracmediav4.com/v?uuid=b3 ... cdf90c4cbd
That would be luxury or high end home status. The sq footage is 6500- 8000 sq feet which is a mansion..

Since April I believe of all segments, the "high end" and "luxury" have been hit the hardest.

Plus location, these homes are not on the same page as Queen's Common.
Jul 14, 2017
58 posts
15 upvotes
Jungle wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 2:06 pm
That would be luxury or high end home status. The sq footage is 6500- 8000 sq feet which is a mansion..

Since April I believe of all segments, the "high end" and "luxury" have been hit the hardest.

Plus location, these homes are not on the same page as Queen's Common.
I know they are not on the same league. However, market as a whole is taking a hit, some more and some less. In reality, RE is still trending up in GTA.

A year or two from now, people will start talking about "I wish I brought it back in 2018"....

Buy low sell high if you dare.
Feb 8, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I agree “A year or two from now, people will start talking about "I wish I brought it back in 2018"
Jan 16, 2016
30 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
AlexanderJ448 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 1:27 pm
Hello Everyone,

First time posting on here. I have been reading through the bulk of these threads and have read some good information.

2 years ago I had purchased a new home from Minto in the king meadow subdivision in North Oshawa. For anyone looking at purchasing a Minto, I highly recommend them. Great quality. AMAZING aftercare an all round good builder.

Regretfully, there towns at Ivy ridge were not what I was looking for and standard features did not match those of the Whitby Meadows/Mattamy/Tiffany Park Homes area.

I have purchased in Hiddenbrook (Tiffany Park) with a closing date of late November 2019. The price was spot on! I bought a 2254 sq/ft end unit townhome with the walk up basement. Included standard is:
- oakstaircases to upstairs and basement
- solid oak floors on main floor and upstairs
- framed glass shower and standalone tub
- 5 appliances
- $5000 at decor

Although some have expressed concerns about the Neighbouring white oaks apartments, the general area will be fine. Monarch subdivision in Queens Common is very well established. I also think that the new Mattamy community will bring a increased income/demographics to the neighborhood overall.

Centrally located to 407/412/401 transit etc.

Any of my potential Neighbours on here ?
Perhaps it would be better to start a dedicated thread for your community? Something similar to the Hawthorne village thread? I think that way people who are in the same development will know where to discuss
Feb 8, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Which other house projects/builders in the Durham Regions has reduced their prices from previous phases/last year? Other than Mattamy Whitby - Queens Common?
Jul 14, 2017
58 posts
15 upvotes
My expectation is there won't be as much new houses available until current inventory is reduced. Remember, the builder is here to make money, they can afford to wait a while before releasing a new phase. On the other hand, it also gives them time to finish what they have.
Jan 16, 2016
30 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
bestdealsgta wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 4:22 pm
Which other house projects/builders in the Durham Regions has reduced their prices from previous phases/last year? Other than Mattamy Whitby - Queens Common?
It appears to be only Mattamy. Other builders sort of know that at some point people who are still desperate to find a home, will pay whatever price its being asked.

But keep in mind, Mattamy did everyone a favour by adjusting to changes in market value. They "didn't" have to change prices, which would have made it harder to new buyers to get in. It was simply a matter of whether they wanted to sell of their current inventory or wait.
If anything Mattamy's actions should cause the other home builder to reduce prices for their following phases....people should be more upset that other builders are not following suite. If i bought during the 2017 highs, i no doubt would probably be in a state of wtf...but I got in during the first phase of 2016 (before prices exploded).

Needless to say, since is just part of the market risk in buying a new construction. If Mattamy had completed my home in 2017 as it should have been, I would have been able to get a mortage rate of 2.69....but here we are in this new reality.
Jan 6, 2012
134 posts
38 upvotes
Raptorfan6 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 1:08 am
The foundation is usually what takes the longest. The framing can be done in about 3 to 4 weeks, when that is up you will see roofing and brick laying which is probably another 2 weeks, then you go through frame walk which is before they put up drywall. After that you can expect 1 month for interior finishes. But this depends on how many workers they have on site. When i visited a few times they had quite a bit of workers and it seemed very busy. In November my townhome was just foundation, it now has tiles, flooring and kitchen countertops. My original closing date was August 2017.
hi, you seem very knowledgable about how long builds take to complete. i dont want to grab this thread, i'm just trying to get opinions for a friend whose townhouse is supposed to close august 2018 (delayed once already april-> august). This complex is in the west end in burlington/hamilton area; the builder has many projects going at once. He is hopeful for an extension as he is not ready to move for august yet...any opinions on whether or not people think the complex will be ready for august? there are 120+ back-to-back towns to complete; they have just changed the company they're using for the cabinets so all buyers were called in to re-pick selections. I just don't see how it could be possible to be finished on time, especially this many homes, but feedback would be appreciated.
pics attached, these were from this jan 22nd.
Images
  • Resized_20180120_135636.jpeg
  • Resized_20180120_135640.jpeg
Feb 23, 2009
988 posts
913 upvotes
Oshawa
sweetlady123 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:21 pm
hi, you seem very knowledgable about how long builds take to complete. i dont want to grab this thread, i'm just trying to get opinions for a friend whose townhouse is supposed to close august 2018 (delayed once already april-> august). This complex is in the west end in burlington/hamilton area; the builder has many projects going at once. He is hopeful for an extension as he is not ready to move for august yet...any opinions on whether or not people think the complex will be ready for august? there are 120+ back-to-back towns to complete; they have just changed the company they're using for the cabinets so all buyers were called in to re-pick selections. I just don't see how it could be possible to be finished on time, especially this many homes, but feedback would be appreciated.
pics attached, these were from this jan 22nd.
There is a reason new builds have taken so long to complete lately...the builder chooses not to complete them.
There are bunch of factors but it used to take a year max to build anything.
With the current RE market builders are constantly dragging out the process to maximize profit.
If they wanted to finish your house faster they could...but it would cost them more.
Buyers take it because "it's a hot market and my house will be worth more in the end".
Last year builders didn't care because they would just sell your place for more to somebody else.
That changed...but they still won't spend more money to complete.
It's called cash flow.
They started taking larger deposits recently so you don't walk away.
Give a little rebate...but you have to put more money down.
You are all being played.
Jan 6, 2012
134 posts
38 upvotes
sweetlady123 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:21 pm
...any opinions on whether or not people think the complex will be ready for august? there are 120+ back-to-back towns to complete; . I just don't see how it could be possible to be finished on time, especially this many homes, but feedback would be appreciated. see pics above...thank you