Locked: GTA East 2017 Dash cam professional install - $40 per channel *Update*

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 5:22 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: I spoke to Blackbox...they recommended saving $10 and grabbing their version instead of the Thinkware. It is the same.
That's probably because they have a high markup on their own brand of cables and unless they f'd up on the description they are not the same. The in house brand cables do not have a battery voltage cutoff like the Thinkware.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
BeaverLiquor wrote: That's probably because they have a high markup on their own brand of cables and unless they f'd up on the description they are not the same. The in house brand cables do not have a battery voltage cutoff like the Thinkware.
I wish they had mentioned that too me. I'll send them an email because I'd like to have the voltage cut off capabilities.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
BeaverLiquor wrote: That's probably because they have a high markup on their own brand of cables and unless they f'd up on the description they are not the same. The in house brand cables do not have a battery voltage cutoff like the Thinkware.
I sent them an email in response to your comments and just received a response to my email that the house brand and the Thinkware kit function exactly the same and that the voltage cutoff is monitored and controlled from the dashcam itself. They have re-assured me that my battery won't just die and that they recommend setting the cutoff to 12V.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
4737 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Interested
2015 Elantra
A118c
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
I'm likely going to go there on my own. They charge $100 normally for 2 channel, so this group buy means $20 savings but having to wait until the end of the month.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2013
1220 posts
714 upvotes
Sauga
Mod moved the thread....
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Maplecountry wrote: Mod moved the thread....
I've asked the mod if we can move this thread back for now. Standby...
RFD Forums Moderator
Oct 25, 2001
978 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
Count me in for one channel. NX200T / A119S.
Jun 8, 2007
14 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Interested

A119
2005 inifiniti g35x

Thxs!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
3144 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
2005 Volvo S40
F750 1ch
Sep 13, 2007
55 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
A119 1ch
2017 Honda CRV
Mar 4, 2017
1 posts
Interested as well!

Car: 2016 VW GTI
Dash cam: Xiaoyi Yi Dash Camera
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
3144 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
So what is the minimum people for GB? when is the cut off and when can we start scheduling?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2013
1220 posts
714 upvotes
Sauga
There's only 12 people now including myself . We need at least 20. These are the folks who expressed interest so far:

Maplecountry, ahhchoo, ultran00b, mingyang, MP3_SKY, wolfpack27616, Vickel, Miguel Sánchez, mr.owens, ah_long, picofish, TerrenL759304

We can start scheduling by end of March, once we hit 20 cars.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1192 posts
475 upvotes
GTA, ON
Maplecountry wrote: There's only 12 people now including myself . We need at least 20. These are the folks who expressed interest so far:

Maplecountry, ahhchoo, ultran00b, mingyang, MP3_SKY, wolfpack27616, Vickel, Miguel Sánchez, mr.owens, ah_long, picofish, TerrenL759304

We can start scheduling by end of March, once we hit 20 cars.
Does this list include people who had posted their interest to be included for the group buy, in the dashcam thread as well as the weekend installation thread?

I am going to post this thread's link in those threads, so that we can be sure no interested person is missing out.

Edit: I didn't notice that this thread has been moved back to Automotive section from BST. Looks like i need not have posted this thread's link in other threads after all!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Count me in, 2 cars. 2016 RAV4 and 2009 Corolla with already installed camera, DOD LS360W.

I prefer they supply the wiring kits or they can suggest one from OP's list.

Thanks
Last edited by Menace on Mar 12th, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Disciplinz wrote: I would like to join the group buy but have not done my research on what camera to buy or hardware kit.

Can somebody do the hard work for me and just tell me what camera to buy for the best value and where to buy it from?
This, I'm lazy and have zero desire to do the leg work on dashcams.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2013
1220 posts
714 upvotes
Sauga
Spoke to Jeff again . Here's his reply regarding wiring kits and PMP since I've been receiving many PM's:

"Our wiring kit (DC-Install Kit) is priced at $14.99 + HST, *but* I was waiving the fee for this on any of the group buy installs as most dash cams do not require it (unless the camera is a 5 volt USB powered camera).
We will also include the fee for installing a PMP in the dash cam install rate, *but* if the customer needs to buy the PMP, we sell it for $49.99 + HST. However, if you have a quantity of buyers who need the PMP, we could work a price out for a quantity buy".
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1192 posts
475 upvotes
GTA, ON
Maplecountry wrote:
"Our wiring kit (DC-Install Kit) is priced at $14.99 + HST, *but* I was waiving the fee for this on any of the group buy installs as most dash cams do not require it (unless the camera is a 5 volt USB powered camera).
Hi- Could you clarify about this sentence? Does that mean that Lockdown provides the hard wiring kit free of charge for the group buy? I am asking because I ended up buying the amazon hard wiring kit and need to know if I should be returning it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
Maplecountry wrote: Spoke to Jeff again . Here's his reply regarding wiring kits and PMP since I've been receiving many PM's:

We will also include the fee for installing a PMP in the dash cam install rate, *but* if the customer needs to buy the PMP, we sell it for $49.99 + HST. However, if you have a quantity of buyers who need the PMP, we could work a price out for a quantity buy".
So hard wiring kit is included? What is PMP? Is this something you can't keep "constant recording" without?

I will likely be interested, if the installer knows how to install on my car and can guarantee they can do so without damaging any thing else in the car - Tesla Model X.

Still need to purchase a dash cam.
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA