Home & Garden

GTA - Energy Audit and Eligible Energy Saving Programs and Rebates?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 12:20 pm
[OP]
Jul 9, 2010
81 posts
1 upvote

GTA - Energy Audit and Eligible Energy Saving Programs and Rebates?

Hi everyone,

So it's winter time, and I've noticed a major problem in our house with air-leakage, specifically with our garage and basement. I'm 100% certain there is heating and energy loss here, seeing as my first floor is room temperature, but my ground floor feels like a freezer. While looking for a solution, I came across Enbridge's free winterproofing program.

Unfortunately, it seems our household is not eligible due to the age of the house and the combined gross income of all occupants. Which leads me to my first question;

1. Do you know of any other home energy saving programs or incentives available to people living in GTA? Either for weatherproofing, sealing, upgrading more energy efficient appliances, etc.

Some of the ones I've found include;

My next question is related to energy audits. For reference, we have made quite a few upgrades to the home already; LED potlights, energy efficient fridge, stove, and washing machine, NEST thermostat. So my questions are;

2. Is it possible to retroactively qualify for rebates or incentives for upgrading to newer energy efficient appliances?

3. Given we have upgraded quite a bit of our house already, is it really worth the cost (roughly $500-650) to get a home energy audit?

Given our status, we'd most likely complete the following;

• Garage + basement insulation
  • Weatherproofing + air sealing
  • Possibly windows - either sealing or new ones entirely

This isn't a complete list though, and as we learn more we might focus on completing some more upgrades too. We'd probably stay away from changing anything too expensive right now, which would include;

• Furnace
  • CAC Unit (Central Air Conditioning)

And my last question;

4. Assuming it is worth getting an energy audit, which company would you recommend? Enbridge has a list of registered auditors they require if you want to take part in their Home Energy Conservation program. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!
Last edited by Dostk on Jan 18th, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2 replies
Mar 22, 2017
285 posts
236 upvotes
I've actually had a similar situation happen - I did a few qualifying upgrades to my home, and while I have one or two more to do (top up attic insulation and do some air sealing), I would also like a rebate for upgrades recently installed (new fridge). Unfortunately, I doubt it works that way.

You'd probably want to look into the Home Energy Conservation Program - while the audit does cost 400 up front (and another 250 for the post-upgrade audit), if you have two or more qualifying upgrades then you get the audit money back. Takes a while but it works, and your basement insulation, window replacement and air sealing would all qualify (though be careful about air sealing, you have to have a significant improvement for it to qualify, not an automatic 'gimme').

I'm not sure about the future of this program though - Ford is actively hostile to efficiency programs, and may be winding down any that are left. I get nervous now about committing to upgrades while not knowing if he'll come in and halt the rebate mid-process.

EDIT: The Nest rebate is separate, you can just sign up for that via Enbridge and get a hundred bucks off your bill, as long as your installation is fairly recent.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2010
81 posts
1 upvote
grumble wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:57 am
I'm not sure about the future of this program though - Ford is actively hostile to efficiency programs, and may be winding down any that are left. I get nervous now about committing to upgrades while not knowing if he'll come in and halt the rebate mid-process.
If this is true, then that's also another thing to keep in consideration. I am aware that some of the older programs, particularly electricity energy saving programs, were cut down by Ford.

Ah right, the NEST rebate, I did get the $100 back for that, but thanks for reminding me. I'll update the OP, to reflect that as another opportunity.

If anyone else knows of any other energy programs and incentives/rebates, please let me know. Thanks!