• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2005 3:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts

GTA: Favorite Greek Food on Danforth

What are your favorite places to eat Greek Food along the Danforth?
Favorite dishes?
"Feelin' okay this mornin', and you know,
We're on the road to paradise...Here we go"
45 replies
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
3 upvotes
My favourite restaurant on the Danforth is Astoria - love their lamb souvlaki dinner. Generous portions of lamb, rice, potatoes, salad and bread! I find the restaurant very clean and professional in their service. We went there for Valentine's day a couple of years ago and the ladies rec'd a long stem rose each. :)
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Don't really know. I live on Danforth but I never go to any restaurant here. Usualy trip down near Yonge & Bloor for some good Asian food.
Nov 18, 2004
637 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
with 75% confidence of my memory recollection and restaurant visual identification, Astoria is gone. It's is replaced by a name I don't remember.

My favourite so far would be gyros (i'm addicted to them) especially from Square boy. Alexandros claims to be the best... but I beg to differ. Can't wait for taste of danforth this year!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
I've always walked by Square Boy and thought they just did burgers! Have to check 'em out next time.

I really love the Calamari from Pantheon. *drool*
Their food is amazing and service is great!

I was down there tonight, and Mito you're right, I didn't see Astoria. :confused:

I've never been to taste on the Danforth.. The 'crazy' crowds and line ups have always made me shy away. Maybe this year I'll go. :)
"Feelin' okay this mornin', and you know,
We're on the road to paradise...Here we go"
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Argg! I hate the Taste on the Danforth! Completely over-rated. The street just gets overcrowded with people, food becomes super expensive and there's absolutely nothing to do except slowly wading through the masses.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1577 posts
146 upvotes
I went to astoria last week, unless its packed up and moved since then its still there... right beside caffee dimetre's. I love it there as well :)
Dec 7, 2004
522 posts
3 upvotes
Fantaz wrote:Don't really know. I live on Danforth but I never go to any restaurant here. Usualy trip down near Yonge & Bloor for some good Asian food.
So why bother posting in this thread?
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
3 upvotes
mito wrote:with 75% confidence of my memory recollection and restaurant visual identification, Astoria is gone. It's is replaced by a name I don't remember.

My favourite so far would be gyros (i'm addicted to them) especially from Square boy. Alexandros claims to be the best... but I beg to differ. Can't wait for taste of danforth this year!
i was just at astoria 2 weeks ago.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2004
5795 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
Fantaz wrote:Argg! I hate the Taste on the Danforth! Completely over-rated. The street just gets overcrowded with people, food becomes super expensive and there's absolutely nothing to do except slowly wading through the masses.
You're absolutely right about that.I can see tourists wanting to check it out but locals? [IMG]http://notebookforums.com/images/smilie ... cratch.gif[/IMG]
I used to be indecisive. Now i'm not so sure.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3495 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
If you live in Scarborough theres no need to go to the Danforth.

Theres a excellent greek place right at Birchmount and Huntingwood called Hunters Pizza and Souvlaki. Who recently had a review in The National Post

Their food i'd argue is easily the best outside of the danforth and rivals some of their food even.

Prices range from $9-12 for pork/chicken/lamb dinners.

They include garlic bread, salad, potato, rice, the meat

They also do Pizza, steak, chicken breats, chicken parmagina
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1480 posts
135 upvotes
is birchmount before or after kennedy? i'll definitely try this place out.
GemInite wrote:If you live in Scarborough theres no need to go to the Danforth.

Theres a excellent greek place right at Birchmount and Huntingwood called Hunters Pizza and Souvlaki. Who recently had a review in The National Post

Their food i'd argue is easily the best outside of the danforth and rivals some of their food even.

Prices range from $9-12 for pork/chicken/lamb dinners.

They include garlic bread, salad, potato, rice, the meat

They also do Pizza, steak, chicken breats, chicken parmagina
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1236 posts
81 upvotes
Etobicoke - Just Greek at Royal York & Bloor (owned & operated by actual Greek owners/staff).

I salivate just thinking of their Chicken Greek, Souvlaki, Tzatziki... mmmm...
Kicks a55. It's not like a chain restuarant or anything.. they really do their own thing and man oh man do they do it well.

We drive like 30 minutes into town for this Greek food. Even the bread buns are freshly made and go amazingly with their greek olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Food is very well-priced. I guarantee you won't go anywhere else for Greek.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3495 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
phillbert wrote:is birchmount before or after kennedy? i'll definitely try this place out.
Its the next major street after kennedy. Trust me try this place and you will see why i compare it to the danforth. Their fries and gravy are godly.
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
5 upvotes
Athens Bakery. Try cheese pocket.
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Apr 2, 2004
400 posts
101 upvotes
GTA
I like Astoria as well. It's not terribly fancy but it's great value for your money (portions are huge). Also they have the absolute best tzatziki I've ever tasted. If there is better, please let me know.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
Fantaz wrote:Argg! I hate the Taste on the Danforth! Completely over-rated. The street just gets overcrowded with people, food becomes super expensive and there's absolutely nothing to do except slowly wading through the masses.
admit it!! your a Greek Hating ASIAN ARENT YOU!

Anyways.. TAste of the Danforth always rocks.. i dunno what your talking about.
Where else can you get gyros, or slouvaki for $1 a stick?!?!
some places even give you free garlic gread.
Gyro wraps cost only $2!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1480 posts
135 upvotes
check out the "greek odyssey" at kennedy and ellesmere. some pretty good food there too.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3495 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
phillbert wrote:check out the "greek odyssey" at kennedy and ellesmere. some pretty good food there too.
If you're in Scarborough check out the place i mentioned on page 1. It blows greek odyssey away