Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto

GTA Telecom

Seems to be a relatively new Internet Access and Home Phone provider: GTA Telecom

Anybody signed up with them or heard any reports about them?
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2613 posts
1985 upvotes
Markham
Good find. Also want to know about its services.

The more ISP the better the price due to competition, I suppose.

CarryTel and CanNet are currently competing in Ontario.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
Decided to TOFTT and ordered a 75/10, unlimited, Rogers Cable-based service from them. $39.95 a month, "free" modem with $59 deposit, $15 shipping.

The order process was relatively easy. Appointment time was confirmed, modem shipped and arrived prior to installation appointment.

Tech arrived within appointment window (this morning), realized that he would have to run new cable drop to house so he left, saying that he'd have to "talk to his company". Waiting for update either from him or from GTA Telecom. I'll update here when something happens.

UPDATE: New installation here this morning by Wireconn (Rogers contractor) and service is now up and running. It's nothing close to 75/10 but is considerably better than the previous ADSL service.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
1309 posts
277 upvotes
How is it after a month of service? The speed still close to 75/10?
1x$36 Zoomer Plan with 2GB + Unlimited Call and Text
1x$45 Zoomer Plan with 4GB + Unlimited Call and Text
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
timeoninternet wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 11:45 am
How is it after a month of service? The speed still close to 75/10?
Apologies for the delay in responding! The speed has never been close to 75/10.

Just did two speedtests from a wired PC with minimal wireless activity. Here are the results:

Ping/Down/Up
80/53.88/9.55
13/52.69/4.79

Interestingly, the provider is recognized as Altima Telecom so presumably GTA Telecom is a reseller of Altima.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6100 posts
1251 upvotes
Maple
Not bad from my location. Currently with TSI 100/10 $64/month. Love TSI for their CS and reliability.

Cable internet 150/10 $50/month
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 6:42 pm
Not bad from my location. Currently with TSI 100/10 $64/month. Love TSI for their CS and reliability.

Cable internet 150/10 $50/month
This thread is about an Internet Access provider called "GTA Telecom".
Jun 5, 2007
174 posts
6 upvotes
Just bumping this - in Etobicoke and considering GTATelco's 75/10 unlimited package. Anyone have experience with this provider?

https://gtatel.com/shop/cable-75

For Mimico area. Really hard to find reviews on GTATel but the package price is pretty darn good. The 150/10 is only $49.95 too. I'm currently with Teksavvy paying almost $60/mo for cable 30/5 unlimited.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
dubplatepressure wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:44 am
Just bumping this - in Etobicoke and considering GTATelco's 75/10 unlimited package. Anyone have experience with this provider?

https://gtatel.com/shop/cable-75

For Mimico area. Really hard to find reviews on GTATel but the package price is pretty darn good. The 150/10 is only $49.95 too. I'm currently with Teksavvy paying almost $60/mo for cable 30/5 unlimited.
I'm still with them and quite happy in most respects. I believe they are a reseller of Altima Telecom who in turn are a reseller of Rogers (for cable service in Toronto). Other than a couple of calls during the installation, I have only contacted them once about an outage. It turned out to be an area outage due to a Rogers issue.

Just did a speedtest and got 32/10 and 25ms ping so a bit away from the 75/10 service I'm supposed to have. However, this may be related to an old router I'm using here. It would be interesting to plug directly into the cable modem and try again (maybe later).
Jun 5, 2007
174 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks for the review. Interesting about the speed - the one thing that TS is good for is I pretty much always get close to 30/5 on speed tests. I am going to try out the 150/10 and see how it goes.
Jun 5, 2007
174 posts
6 upvotes
Came to about $130 with the modem rental, etc. Put the order through on the 13th, got a call later that day confirming, then another one today to confirm the install date and time. Modem is now being shipped en route. Seems good so far - hoping I get at least somewhat close to 150mbps.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
dubplatepressure wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 12:54 pm
Came to about $130 with the modem rental, etc. Put the order through on the 13th, got a call later that day confirming, then another one today to confirm the install date and time. Modem is now being shipped en route. Seems good so far - hoping I get at least somewhat close to 150mbps.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Jun 5, 2007
174 posts
6 upvotes
Will do - modem shipped Monday and is scheduled for delivery today. Also got confirmation on Monday of installation date & time of this coming Sunday the 22nd from 11am to 2pm. I had mentioned any day soon-after the 21st so they hit the mark there.
Jun 5, 2007
174 posts
6 upvotes
Small update:

Getting the Rogers installer to come by was a bit of a pain. In summary, he had to run a line from the house to the cable box in the neighbour's front yard. He said that it was a 2-person job and that they've have to reschedule it. Fine. That was Sunday, appointment 11am-2pm. I get a phone call from GTATel asking about my availability for Tuesday, I say Tuesday evening, they say ok. They also say they need written permission to install the cable line into the home from the homeowner. I say ok - no problem. I get an automated email from GTATel later that day saying the new appointment time is scheduled for Tuesday morning from 9am-12pm - wrong time. I email them back (because they don't actually have an inbound service phone number) and say I can't make that time, but can make the evening appointment of 5pm to 8pm that day (Tuesday). I then get an automated email saying I've been booked for Wednesday (wrong day) between 5pm and 8pm (unconfirmed time) for cable installation. Fine. Whatever. I had plans but I can postpone them. I email them back because I want more information on what exactly they need written permission to do. I get the same level 1 girl who calls me back and literally goes through 3-4 complete guesses as to why I need this written permission - 'it's probably the superintendent that needs it', 'It's for permission to get into the cable/box room in your building', etc.... They clearly didn't even know it was a house. After some persuasion, I finally managed to get her to concede she does not know and needs to forward this to someone who does. I get a call back from someone else later that day (did not answer, left a message on my VM) saying it's just a standard installation. No callback number, no name given. Whatever, fine.

Technician comes on Wednesday evening, checks the job out, says it's a 2 person job. Nothing on the word order says it's a 2 person job - no notes from previous technician. Wonderful. I ask who I can call to file a complaint, he says no one because I'm not a Rogers customer, so there's literally no way I can file a complaint. 3rd party providers....

Thankfully, the technician was a good chap, and ran a temporary line from the back of our house up over the roof, around the chimney stack, through the air, across and through the neighbour's tree, down to the cable box. Boom, internet. He then says he's order the ground crew to bury the line, but it usually takes about a month to get them.

So that was that, we now have internet. I'm using the standard modem/wifi that ships when you rent one from GTATel. The wifi range is absolute garbage on it, even using the 5ghz band (tried testing both) but I am hitting 20mbps - 75 mbps on speed tests, but I haven't hardwired it and tested it yet. That'll come this weekend when I have more time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6716 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
dubplatepressure wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 8:13 am
Small update:
I seem to remember having similar issues with my installation. First tech came, had a look and said it was a two-man job as there was no prior cable installation to my property. I had explained this to GTA Telecom prior to ordering but the tech said there was no note of this on his paperwork. It took a few days to re-arrange the installation but the next crew got it done pretty quickly. Communication with GTA in between visits was very odd with nobody seeming to know what was going on with my order.

Also, I had one outage and dealing with GTA on that was also very odd. Initially the rep didn't seem to know anything but, after a few minutes on hold, came back and told me it was due to a Rogers area outage.