• Jan 24th, 2013 9:17 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17390 posts
1603 upvotes
Woodbridge
Like I said why bother spending money on Tires when all you have to do is drive 30KM+ below speed limit.

Thank God I don't have to put up with this everyday.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2133 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
dassub wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 12:43 pm
Woodbridge is in the middle of nowhere now?
Anything north of Steeles Ave. is middle of nowhere.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3163 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
A recent feature on CityTV examined traffic flow around the GTA, with some interesting input from several traffic flow researchers and road engineers.

Apparently, GTA highways operate at around 100% over capacity during regular peak conditions. The problem with this is that tiny changes in traffic flow can have ripple effects that will quickly slow all traffic to a crawl. They used the example of traffic flowing steady at 100 km/h, then a couple of cars making unsafe changes lane forcing some cars to brake. This would cause a ripple effect that would soon have cars 2 km behind going at 20 km/h.

It's not hard to imagine on a day like this that you would have quite a few cars going maybe 80-90, when they on a normal day would go 100-110. This isn't the typical scaredy-cat that most people imagine sitting with their nose in the windshield, going 20 km/h as soon as they see two drops of rain. This would be typical drivers that take a little bit of precaution when snow is accumulating on the road. The ripple effect would then easily cause the kinds of delays we saw today.

Thinking about it this way was a real eye-opener for me. These traffic jams are a result of underdeveloped transportation systems, not just some overcautious wimpy drivers. And that also means that the answer isn't to get the wimps off the road (won't make a difference). The answer lies in a complete revamp of the GTA's transportation system, including roads and public transit. However, that would take a lot of money, cross-governmental collaboration, and maybe some unpopular political decisions. In other words - it ain't gonna happen, so learn to live with it...
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1732 posts
72 upvotes
I'm so glad I walk to work. The only way to avoid winter traffic is to leave really early.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
235 upvotes
I drove in near whiteout conditions in pitch black yesterday, north of Barrie. Everyone was going at a steady 50km/h.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10877 posts
1452 upvotes
About an hour ago I stepped outside to get some coffee... The roads are already clogged with cars! This will not be a fun ride home... :(

EDIT: by roads I mean Front St by the Skydome. Normally at that time, there's minimal traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5258 posts
883 upvotes
dassub wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 12:43 pm
Woodbridge is in the middle of nowhere now?

yes -

only people who live there think it's central
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4186 posts
770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I usually check google maps traffic layer before I commute home. However, I've found that it's roughly 75% accurate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8324 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto drivers are weak sauce. 2 cm of snow...
May 16, 2010
94 posts
6 upvotes
I rear ended someone today :( - For the last 6 years I had mostly a clean record except once when someone swiped me on a parking lot when I was away.

Today, going into Toronto it was whiteout in 5 minutes. Turning on a exit ramp, there was a BMW SUV in front of me, I hit the brakes but heard a rumbling noise with shaking, my car proceeded to rear end him to my dismay. Exchanged insurance info and the guy was OK to deal with he asked me calmly "what happened bud?"

From that point on , I had a crash course in everything - Called the other party who had it reported to a collision center already and was trying to channel the body work to one of his guys, heard viewpoint that i could settle out for Cash , heard the insurance company say settling outside was a real bad idea because the guy could flip and file regardless.

Learned that I had to go report to a collision center right away, had a 1.5 hr wait there traveling reverse side of the city and then all the way back home to a body shop. Enterprise ran out of cars due to multiple accident in the city and RBC's valet service which ensures all enterprise agents are traveling with cars to the city.

What do you guys think about my insurance rates and possible things to watch out for?

What else can I do to feel better

TL;DR - Completely bad day , rear ended someone - other guy had a quote of 4800 from collision center , I had 1200 ( but the other party has said they expect estimates on the lower side. How much should i expect insurance rates to go up?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8324 posts
911 upvotes
ramakay wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 7:25 pm
I rear ended someone today :( - For the last 6 years I had mostly a clean record except once when someone swiped me on a parking lot when I was away.

Today, going into Toronto it was whiteout in 5 minutes. Turning on a exit ramp, there was a BMW SUV in front of me, I hit the brakes but heard a rumbling noise with shaking, my car proceeded to rear end him to my dismay. Exchanged insurance info and the guy was OK to deal with he asked me calmly "what happened bud?"

From that point on , I had a crash course in everything - Called the other party who had it reported to a collision center already and was trying to channel the body work to one of his guys, heard viewpoint that i could settle out for Cash , heard the insurance company say settling outside was a real bad idea because the guy could flip and file regardless.

Learned that I had to go report to a collision center right away, had a 1.5 hr wait there traveling reverse side of the city and then all the way back home to a body shop. Enterprise ran out of cars due to multiple accident in the city and RBC's valet service which ensures all enterprise agents are traveling with cars to the city.

What do you guys think about my insurance rates and possible things to watch out for?

What else can I do to feel better

TL;DR - Completely bad day , rear ended someone - other guy had a quote of 4800 from collision center , I had 1200 ( but the other party has said they expect estimates on the lower side. How much should i expect insurance rates to go up?
rumbling noise with shaking - u mean your ABS. you are slowing down too slow, hence crash. did u have snow tires? what happened bud?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
235 upvotes
flyz wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 2:17 pm
I drove in near whiteout conditions in pitch black yesterday, north of Barrie. Everyone was going at a steady 50km/h.
Video. Wasn't driving my own car so no dash cam :(

signature edited for rule violations
May 16, 2010
94 posts
6 upvotes
I did have snow tires, it was indeed a slow stop as cars were bumper to bumper, imagine a packed exit ramp .... it was surreal and i felt stupid later because i was in similar scenarios where the tires totally helped but i was on faster speeds and had more breaking distance.