Video. Wasn't driving my own car so no dash cam :(

That is crazy.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1732 posts
72 upvotes
ramakay wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 7:25 pm
I rear ended someone today :( - For the last 6 years I had mostly a clean record except once when someone swiped me on a parking lot when I was away.

Today, going into Toronto it was whiteout in 5 minutes. Turning on a exit ramp, there was a BMW SUV in front of me, I hit the brakes but heard a rumbling noise with shaking, my car proceeded to rear end him to my dismay. Exchanged insurance info and the guy was OK to deal with he asked me calmly "what happened bud?"

From that point on , I had a crash course in everything - Called the other party who had it reported to a collision center already and was trying to channel the body work to one of his guys, heard viewpoint that i could settle out for Cash , heard the insurance company say settling outside was a real bad idea because the guy could flip and file regardless.

Learned that I had to go report to a collision center right away, had a 1.5 hr wait there traveling reverse side of the city and then all the way back home to a body shop. Enterprise ran out of cars due to multiple accident in the city and RBC's valet service which ensures all enterprise agents are traveling with cars to the city.

What do you guys think about my insurance rates and possible things to watch out for?

What else can I do to feel better

TL;DR - Completely bad day , rear ended someone - other guy had a quote of 4800 from collision center , I had 1200 ( but the other party has said they expect estimates on the lower side. How much should i expect insurance rates to go up?
It sounds like a terrible situation to be in, but at the end of the day it's more of a nuisance than a real problem. Accidents like these happen everyday and people just move on. At least you or the other party were not hurt. It could have been much worse. I don't know what kind of impact the accident will have on your rates, but I've had family members who have been in similar accidents where they were at fault, and it's not like their world ended. Tough lesson to learn, but one worth learning regardless! Hope you feel better.