Guarantee on warranty repair question.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 10:18 pm
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
381 posts
95 upvotes

Guarantee on warranty repair question.

Car is a 2012 Buick LaCrosse. In the month of June of this year, I notice a loud noise coming from the engine. Bring it in to the dealer and had the timing chain, tensioner guides etc replaced under warranty. Poweretrain warranty expired this October. Today I notice that the noise is back (exactly the same as back in June) Curious about my rights in this case, I call GM who tells me (although the agent I spoke to didn't seem too sure) that they would cover the defective parts under a 1 year warranty but the labour charge is my responsibility. Does this make any sense?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2391 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
They are saying your are out of warranty and SOL. Be prepared to get charged for price of new engine trying to figure this out at the dealer.

IMO, I would approach the dealership saying what they fixed last time came back. Ask to be fixed under 30days or 1 year guarantee. They probably won't go for this so, ask for quatation and fix it elsewhere. If you are brave and other shop happened to fix exact same problem, send the bill to Buick.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
If they fixed it less than 6 months ago then that dealer should at the very least replace the parts that failed....if those parts are the problem. Labour charges? Well, if their guarantee includes labour on the failed parts then they will pay but if, as in many guarantees from many shops, labour may not be included. So, what GM told you is probably correct.
Having said that, if you can determine that they installed it improperly or if they installed a faulty part, with a good argument and pressure you may be able to coerce them to pay the labour charge. Fight it all the way and good luck.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7816 posts
915 upvotes
Markham
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:56 pm
out of warranty you need to pay.
Yes, but op is asking for the replaced part few months ago. That *repair* or part should have a warranty if that part failed.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2546 posts
1703 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Neighbor had this same issue with the 2.4l as well.

But yeah, warranty is a warranty. Only the parts portion is typically covered for previously replaced part.

Sell it and get a Camry.

Feb 6, 2011
968 posts
530 upvotes
If OP asks nicely, the dealer may goodwill the repair even if it's past warranty.

If the first repair didn't last, the new repair probably won't last either.

Common problem on these Gm crap engines...
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
381 posts
95 upvotes
Thanks for all the responses. I bought a Buick because they seemed to have pretty good ratings reliability wise. Boy was I wrong. I really like the car. Comfortable, seats 3 in the back easy, fuel efficient relative to its size? Last month I had to replace the two rear wheel bearings ( first time I have had to replace wheel bearings before 80k) and now this. Maybe I will get a Camry.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1267 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If denied, ask for good will policy.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:29 pm
Yes, but op is asking for the replaced part few months ago. That *repair* or part should have a warranty if that part failed.
new car warranty is from A to D, if he has a repair done at C it is still covered until D. If he has a repair done at D but it fails in E then he has to pay for it because it is out of warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5186 posts
1013 upvotes
BC
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:19 pm
...... I bought a Buick because they seemed to have pretty good ratings reliability wise. Boy was I wrong. ....
Consumer Reports ratings again brought into question. But maybe you are just being unlucky, in which case a good relationship with your Service Advisor becomes important for efficient resolution of problems.

Might not reduce what you have to pay, but it's only fair that the pain is minimized in other ways.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7816 posts
915 upvotes
Markham
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:31 pm
new car warranty is from A to D, if he has a repair done at C it is still covered until D. If he has a repair done at D but it fails in E then he has to pay for it because it is out of warranty.
So if the dealership miss diagnosis the problem or replace the wrong part (during warranty period). Just because the warranty expires a week or few days, after, the customer are SOL and it won't be the manufacture or dealership problem?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:02 pm
So if the dealership miss diagnosis the problem or replace the wrong part (during warranty period). Just because the warranty expires a week or few days, after, the customer are SOL and it won't be the manufacture or dealership problem?
the manufacturer's warranty is very clear, lets say you bought the car January 1, 2015 and comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper till january 1, 2018. Their obligation during the warranty period is to repair the car. so if they repair lets say a shock on january 1, 2018 under warranty but it fails january 2, 2018 then they are out of luck. This applies to parts and labor paid by the manufacturer but if you paid for a part on january 1, 2018 and it failed january 2 2018 then you are covered. Maybe someone can explain it better than me, as I just deliver pizzas lol.