Automotive

"Guaranteed to Pass Emissions" fluids - Do they work?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2009 1:37 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary

"Guaranteed to Pass Emissions" fluids - Do they work?

My car didnt pass emissions and I was walking around CT I saw a bottle form Pennzoil saying that if you pour this in they guaranteed it will pass emissions. Is it worth it at all to use it, or will it just end up damaging something? Thanks
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
What did your car fail? Was it hot when the test was done? I have never seen a car fail. When my sister's car failed, we let the car idle until the engine was hot and brought it to a drive clean facility (instead of ,say a CT, and it passed no problem. There is no limit to the number of tries...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
AudiDude wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 2:51 pm
What did your car fail? Was it hot when the test was done? I have never seen a car fail. When my sister's car failed, we let the car idle until the engine was hot and brought it to a drive clean facility (instead of ,say a CT, and it passed no problem. There is no limit to the number of tries...
except the $$ :razz: I dont have the sheet on me but I am pretty sure I have a faulty O2 sensor so I need to get that replaced.
arisk wrote:
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
Tijuana wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 3:02 pm
except the $$ :razz: I dont have the sheet on me but I am pretty sure I have a faulty O2 sensor so I need to get that replaced.
If you do, you will fail hydrocarbons. Also your gas mileage will suffer and the car has no clue how much gas to give the engine. Eventually it would cost more, not to replace it. Get the sheet and have a look.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11878 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Whether it does or doesn't, my Dad will always put something in the car the day before or the day of to flush / aid the system ...
There's been times where I've been worried about his car passing and yet, it does ...

I don't know, he seems to like it.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2228 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
read the fine print, they have so many conditions there is no way you would ever fail if you met their conditions.
Their conditions might as well include "you must have a brand new car that was bought within the past month"
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8974 posts
237 upvotes
If it was that simple, then they wouldn't need emissions testing and they'd just make everyone use this product.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37793 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The point of doing emissions testing isn't to buy these fluids and trick the system. The point is we want our air to smell better, and that we won't choke from it.

If your car is failing emissions, do the world a favour and scrap it.
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11878 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
I think the emissions restrictions are getting stricter, are they not?
Although its a huge cash cow for the city, the government, etc ... I think its a necessary evil, especially in a city this large.

We need to make sure everyone is on an even playing field.
With that said, I think cars over the age of 20 should still be tested. I think that's just ridiculous that they're not.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
DaVibe wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 4:21 pm
I think the emissions restrictions are getting stricter, are they not?
We need to make sure everyone is on an even playing field.
With that said, I think cars over the age of 20 should still be tested. I think that's just ridiculous that they're not.
The emissions restrictions are tied to the year of the car. So a 1986 car will have higher limits than a 2006. As newer cars were made, they also improved the emissions output to conform to continuously newer and lower standards. I would think that most cars over the age of 20 that can't pass either need minor service and are not driven a lot, or are total crap cans that can no longer pass a safety. In some places in Europe, you can't drive your car unless you pass a scheduled safety. If we had that here, the buses would be overflowing with people who can't afford to maintain a car.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37793 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AudiDude wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 4:48 pm
The emissions restrictions are tied to the year of the car. So a 1986 car will have higher limits than a 2006. As newer cars were made, they also improved the emissions output to conform to continuously newer and lower standards. I would think that most cars over the age of 20 that can't pass either need minor service and are not driven a lot, or are total crap cans that can no longer pass a safety. In some places in Europe, you can't drive your car unless you pass a scheduled safety. If we had that here, the buses would be overflowing with people who can't afford to maintain a car.
Sounds like a plan! Maybe then the TTC will finally be profitable!
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
6991 posts
57 upvotes
Nepean
AudiDude wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 4:48 pm
Unfortunately people will still find way around this
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15062 posts
740 upvotes
Woodbridge
I wonder if it's just Canadian Tire because I failed too when I had my '02 Acura RSX. I took it there because it was the closes and haven't really read too much about their poor reputation.

It was Modded so I'm not sure if that was the reason but after some Ultra 94 and running it Hard on the highway and I passed. I took it to Firestone shop, which was the closest off 410.

These "Miracle in a Bottle" is too funny, don't bother.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7475 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It depends on what you did or did not do.

You are supposed to change your oil & let your car fully heat up, taking it on the highway right before the test for a good run will help a lot on it passing.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
My HC ppm was 151, limit is 55
My CO% was .33, limit is .31
My NO ppm was 971, limit is 408

RPM was at 1581 dilution was at 15.2, this was the ASM2525 Test

So does it look like it could be the O2 sensor? The cat was replaced less than a year ago, and the check engine light has been coming on and off for a few months now.
arisk wrote:
KorruptioN wrote:
× < >