The Guardian says our planet is finished

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2019 1:21 pm
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5108 posts
5327 upvotes
We'll be fine. Geo-engineering projects were always the only hope, costing billions instead of trillions in proposed taxes and cut-backs.

Environmentalism has long since become the mindless chant of granola types, without any serious solutioning. Treating climate change requires technological intervention (land, sea, and atmospheric vectors of attack).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1366 posts
2 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 6:37 am
We'll be fine. Geo-engineering projects were always the only hope, costing billions instead of trillions in proposed taxes and cut-backs.

Environmentalism has long since become the mindless chant of granola types, without any serious solutioning. Treating climate change requires technological intervention (land, sea, and atmospheric vectors of attack).
Technology vs. "taxes" and "cut-backs".....what are you even talking about?

In an effort to sound smart, do you realize how dumb you sound? You think if the climate change issue could be solved with just "billions" of investment in technology, it wouldn't have been handled already? The technological intervention you're talking about is obviously one of the "vectors" they're working on but how do you think they're going to fund it, scale it?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5108 posts
5327 upvotes
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 10:14 am
Technology vs. "taxes" and "cut-backs".....what are you even talking about?

In an effort to sound smart, do you realize how dumb you sound? You think if the climate change issue could be solved with just "billions" of investment in technology, it wouldn't have been handled already? The technological intervention you're talking about is obviously one of the "vectors" they're working on but how do you think they're going to fund it, scale it?
There are at least twelve possible technological treatments for excessive CO2 in the atmosphere, of which a few are highly cost effective and practical now. The issue is political will.

But by all means, let's pretend otherwise and organize pointless make-work non-profits pushing anti-progress dogma.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1366 posts
2 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 10:32 am
There are at least twelve possible technological treatments for excessive CO2 in the atmosphere, of which a few are highly cost effective and practical now. The issue is political will.

But by all means, let's pretend otherwise and organize pointless make-work non-profits pushing anti-progress dogma.
.....your argument is that there are solutions for excess CO2 that exist right now with no other negative effects that are inexpensive and would work, but not a single politician anywhere in the world is willing to test them out?

Do any of them come with a tinfoil hat?

Perhaps you can point us to these miracle solutions and the studies that show their efficacy.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16371 posts
2412 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 10:32 am

What technological treatments are there for the mass extinctions happening all over the planet, the acidification of the oceans, and the extreme weather being brought on by the warming planet?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5108 posts
5327 upvotes
I see I've stirred the pot here. There are some good Economist.com articles on Geo-Engineering but I have trouble pulling them up because they're pay-walled for now.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =1&vwsrc=0

The above is not the article I'm looking for but it covers how seriously geo-engineering endeavours are taken, despite dire underfunding. GE efforts are the only plausible solution, outside of 'sucking it up', that have a reasonable medium term chance of working (re: CO2).

You'd be surprised how much resistance there is to these solutions among the anti-progress green lobby, their proposed solutions include de-industrialization and a large reduction in global population.

I'll stick to scientifically-plausible engineered solutions, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5254 posts
555 upvotes
Scarborough
Just start ww3 and be done with it
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20977 posts
2323 upvotes
Montreal
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:46 pm
What technological treatments are there for the mass extinctions happening all over the planet, the acidification of the oceans, and the extreme weather being brought on by the warming planet?
Nuke Saudi Arabia. The dust will block out the sun and cool the earth a few degrees.

It happened once after the eruption of a volcano in Indonesia in the 19th century.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2111 posts
784 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
It's the end of the world as we know it...
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1397 posts
1232 upvotes
The Guardian is a left wing sh*t disturber. I give them no attention.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2657 posts
2086 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 10:48 pm
The Guardian is a left wing sh*t disturber. I give them no attention.
What is your source for getting factual information?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1397 posts
1232 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:04 pm
What is your source for getting factual information?
A plethora of news sources. I do not just read one that suits my viewpoints.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2657 posts
2086 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:05 pm
A plethora of news sources. I do not just read one that suits my viewpoints.
Sure. Name a few from "plethora".

Pretty hypocritical statement to make about viewpoints while at the same time accusing Guardian to be a shill.