Guide to buying a suit?

Need a mid-price range suit that will last. thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1447 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto
I would wait for a Moores sale where you can either buy one, get one free or get 50% off with a donation. That's where I ended up getting mine last time and I got a new suit, a couple shirts, ties and socks for ~$600.

Depending on your build, you may have to get it tailored but it's not mandatory. Tailored suits do look much better, though, so depending on what your budget actually is, you might want to consider it.
Aug 5, 2012
193 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
BrianRFD wrote: I would wait for a Moores sale where you can either buy one, get one free or get 50% off with a donation. That's where I ended up getting mine last time and I got a new suit, a couple shirts, ties and socks for ~$600.

Depending on your build, you may have to get it tailored but it's not mandatory. Tailored suits do look much better, though, so depending on what your budget actually is, you might want to consider it.

Thanks! I'll wait till the sale happens. Do you know when exactly the moores sale was last year?
I noticed moores normally have lose suits, which I don't prefer (I prefer slim/fit suits). Is this the only solid place to get a suit for a suitable price range?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1447 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto
chickenswagger wrote: Thanks! I'll wait till the sale happens. Do you know when exactly the moores sale was last year?
I noticed moores normally have lose suits, which I don't prefer (I prefer slim/fit suits). Is this the only solid place to get a suit for a suitable price range?
Moores usually has suit sales every so often. There's no set time for them, but just keep an eye out for ads on TV. They usually run for a long time too, so you won't miss out if you just keep conscious of it.

I'm not a big guy, and I found a suit that fit well. Again, tailoring it will really help in this area but it'll cost you. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, get it tailored. It'll make you feel like a million bucks.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
what's your budget?
what's your style? what's your shape & size...

it doesn't sound like you wear suits on the regular and you're buying your one go to suit, so i would spend a little more instead of getting some Moores stuff.

if you're going to wear a ill fitting suit, you might as well not wear a suit at all, so definitely get it tailored unless you're blessed with a model size and an off the rack size fits you PERFECTLY
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
Good suggestions already posted, I would add that for suit color choose either Navy (solid or stripe) or Grey/Charcoal (solid or stripe).

Try your best not pick a black as your first suit, its usually for funerals and formal night events.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashi ... uit-061713