Shopping Discussion

A guide for you kijiji sellers out there and dealing with scammers/buyers remorse/etc AFTER you have sold an item

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 6:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9547 posts
1081 upvotes
Toronto

A guide for you kijiji sellers out there and dealing with scammers/buyers remorse/etc AFTER you have sold an item

So, I've been buying and selling via kijiji and redflagdeals for quite a good amount of time now and every now and then we see a user here post "Buyer bought item, now wants his money back". The general answer is "as-is sale and final" which is very true.

Now, here is a bit of a lengthy post with some (not all) of the emails involved and what YOU should do in the situation if this happens to you.

My father had an account with Rogers and 2 cable boxes (one being a PVR model and one being a non-PVR model). Before he cancelled the service he said he was going to sell them once he switches to Bell. I tested these both to make sure everything worked as it should, and they worked completely fine. (ie. we weren't out to scam anyone, this becomes more true with the fact that my father had the guy come to his house to meet him, which I told him not to do but he didn't want to listen to me on that)

So, after everything was cancelled I listed them on kijiji. Took about a month for a buyer to come around and take them.

Buyer:

Hi, I'm interested! What's your best price for the 9865

Me:

How about the 9865 for $150, but I'll do both for 220 if you want.

Buyer:

How about $130 ?

Me:

They are at my fathers place in XXXX right now, if that's closer to you let me know and I can give you his phone number if that works for you. If your closer to XXXX I can go and pick them up on Saturday.

What is easiest for you. ($130 is fine with me)

Now, that was kind of a lowball offer, fair enough, we see this all the time. My father agreed on the price anyways since we weren't getting any interested buyers and they were now useless to us.

Buyer:

I will need the Serial number for the unit first for Rogers verification.
Any issues with the unit is it in full working order? With original Remote control ?
Where is the Scarborough location?

Me:

Just out of curiosity, as I'm unsure of how the transfer works, what do you need the serial number for? And yes they come with the original remotes and everything works fine.

Buyer:

ROGERS requires that the original owner account call them directly and remove the Unit (by serial number) from their account before any transfer of ownership can occur.
Cancelling your ROGERS subscription is not enough for them probably because they may think you may re-subscribe with them, or the box may be a rental or stolen. They do a verification check.

Now, at this point I'm thinking "Alright I'll have my father call and remove the serial numbers from his account. But I'm not just going to blindly give someone the serials because if this guy wants to be a jerk, he could just say he has these boxes with the serial numbers provided and add them to his account and make them 100% useless to us. Why would anyone do that you may ask? Because some people just like to mess with people.

Father called and removed his name from them without issue.

I told the buyer this and stated that the serial numbers will be provided when he comes to pick up the boxes. He still wanted them now because as he states the following:

Buyer:

I assume your father agrees with the sale and price? Is your father available during the daytime hours tomorrow ?

NOTE: It’s been my experience ROGERS puts you on hold for about 30 mins. Before they answer!

Let me know how you make out.

So now, he's already not listening. We already agreed on $130.00 for BOTH units (this email was left out of here as I cannot find it). I now gave him my fathers phone number to call and arrange a time to pick it up. I was ADAMANT with my father to meet up on the corner of his street and NOT his house. My father doesn't drive though and has back problems. He is under the assumption that it doesn't matter if he comes to his house or not because they're working fine and it's only $130.00. That was his first mistake. But anyways, continuing on.

Odd set of emails showing that this person either a) doesn't know how to read or b) is drunk

Buyer:

So I can consider this closed? This has been a waste of time!

Me:

I’m asking you to call my fathers number that I gave you as he can supply the serial numbers to you.

Buyer:

What a colossal waste of time !
Thanks !

At this point I should have just given up. But:

Me:

What’s the problem?

If you call the number I gave you he can give you the serial numbers no problem I already told him to have them ready.

So, they finally make contact and agree on a price. The guy comes and picks them up on Monday. I then get an email the day after, keep in mind these boxes worked 100% like I stated:

Buyer:

I cant seem to get a hold of your father. The PVR does not work it continually shows boot on the display but nothing happens and no recording? The second non PVR works OK.
I want to come to some sort of agreement with him to get my money back for the non functioning PVR.
Could you please contact him for me ? I have left him a voice mail however he has not responded. <- I called him and told him, he never had a voicemail or missed call on his phone)

Me: (Make a note of the part where he states it only shows "BootUp". Of course nothing is going to work or record or have any video while it shows that message)

If you contact Rogers through their online chat it’ll be much quicker than calling.

I will call him now though

I know it does function properly it’s probably on the Rogers end and you probably have to call them about it.

Buyer:

I already talked to them . They activated it bout no pvr function works and of you unplug it's an overnight boot up. Machine is faulty

Me:

So is the box stuck in a boot up loop? As in you get no signal at all? Or is it just the PVR function.

This box worked perfectly fine when we had it. Not saying there’s no issue now but this sounds like an issue with Rogers’ end not yours or ours

Me:

So I talked to my friend who works for Rogers. Please note that I am doing everything I can to help you with this, I’m not just disappearing on you, and I easily could have done that.

Here’s what you have to do:

You have to call Rogers and add that specific box to your account.

From there ask them to do a reset of the box (my friend referred to it as a soft reset).

They both said that this should fix the problem right away.

Buyer:

This has all been done. The box has been activated by Rogers yesterday. The box has also been reset times. They have drive does not function. It says recording but nothing records and no indicator. I have all kinds of experience with Rogers digital and have had 7 boxes. This one is faulty

Me:

Have you tried formatting the drive? Have you tried resetting the box to it's factory state?

Buyer:

My old pvr stopped recording but the channels still worked just no recording. And no way it sholld take 14 hrs for the box to reboot. That's whh I wanted a new one. Now I have the same problem with this box. Tuner works but no recording. My other 3 pvr work perfectly.

Now, I don't know who the hell has a need for 7 rogers boxes in the past and 3 now plus the 2 that we sold him, but this would set off a couple of red flags to me which I will state why in the end... it's almost over

Buyer:

The PVR simply will not function and I have tried everything I can with Rogers after numerous 1/2 hour holds.
I Propose you return $80 that would make $50 for the other box. I believe this is a reasonable estimation.
You can email the money to me. If you want the box returned I can mail it back to you at my cost. Alternatively I can send it for recycling. I simply don’t want to drive across town again.
Please don’t send me any fix suggestions. Like I said I have tried everything I can with Rogers.
I hope you are prepare to make good on this.

Again the following morning

I haven’t heard back from you. I hope your not going to abandon me in this matter.
In speaking with your father on Monday evening he seemed quite amicable in ensuring the pvr works for me and that we be mutually satisfied.
I believe I have presented a fair and reasonable solution.
I ask that you please respond with your intentions.

My final reply:

As far as I’m concerned, this box 100% works. If you don’t know how to operate it then this is not my problem or his. Before deciding to cancel Rogers (knowing the boxes would be sold) they were tested to make sure everything works, which it did. I've gone so far as to call my friend at Rogers to help you, but you don't want it. That is your problem.

Secondly, if we were going to scam anyone by selling a broken box, you would have been met in a public place.

Lastly; Kijiji is a buy/sell/trade website. Warranties are not given unless a manufacture warranty is transferable and still applicable to the item in question. It is the buyers responsibility once the item has switched hands (or before) to understand this.

My problem is is that you have stated you have had multiple Rogers boxes in the past that have done the same thing. This leads me to believe the issue is with your use of the device and not the box itself. And how am I supposed to know you this one doesn’t work completely fine and that you would give us back a broken one.

At this point in time I will not be returning $80.00 and I will consider this matter closed.

You can reply to this email all you want. I will not be replying to any communication afterwards.

Now, where the red flags were set off for me was him stating that he's had 7 boxes in the past and 3 PVRs currently. Even if I was considering giving him his money back (which I'm not because I know they 100% worked) how am I supposed to know he's not actually giving me one of his many for some reason broken boxes back and that ours actually worked and he's keeping that one. I spent more time on this than I actually wanted to and I went so far as to call my friend who WORKS for rogers IN technical support and even he said that if he had actually talked to rogers and described the situation as it was, they probably would have stated that yes, there is a defect in the box itself. That was never once communicated to me from the buyer.

I'm hoping this shows some of you new to selling (and even buying) that you will 100% get these types of buyers that think a product that's probably out of warranty should have an indefinite warranty from YOU, the seller. If you are selling a legitimate 100% working product before it leaves your hands (like we did) then DO NOT take a product back from someone who says it is not working, EVER. Parts can be easily swapped out and you'd have no idea unless you know what to look for. Also, because of stupidness like this, meet in a public place! Never be conned into giving back money that is now yours. This could have even been a very simple case of buyers remorse. Do not let someone's emotions get the better of you EVER when dealing with buyers/sellers.

Also just to add: if they say they will go to the police, tell them to go right ahead. The police will always 100% (unless a crime is involved) say that it is a civil matter and can do nothing.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Sep 27th, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
66 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2712 posts
759 upvotes
I find that the more questions the buyer asks in separate emails, it shows a lot about him

Its usually 1 of 2 reasons :
1) rope you in to see how desperate you are (maybe see how vulnerable you are to his scam)
2) he's just kicking tires / he's not really serious / he's not very intelligent and therefore has high likelihood to mess up before and after the sale

I've been through hundreds of kijiji customers too and a good portion of them are total flakes.

like when the buyer says "this has been a collossal waste of time" - I'll just stop responding to him - the kind of person with that attitude will definitely come back to bite you before and after the sale.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9547 posts
1081 upvotes
Toronto
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 1:23 pm
I find that the more questions the buyer asks in separate emails, it shows a lot about him

Its usually 1 of 2 reasons :
1) rope you in to see how desperate you are (maybe see how vulnerable you are to his scam)
2) he's just kicking tires / he's not really serious / he's not very intelligent and therefore has high likelihood to mess up before and after the sale

I've been through hundreds of kijiji customers too and a good portion of them are total flakes.

like when the buyer says "this has been a collossal waste of time" - I'll just stop responding to him - the kind of person with that attitude will definitely come back to bite you before and after the sale.
I would usually do the same but my dad needs the money more than I do so I was helping him to sell it.

At the end of the day the guy is just a total idiot.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
I've had the same difficulty selling my fantastically working/well taken care of Asus ROG laptop. Scam, scam, scam, lowball, scam, scam, flake, scam, scam, scam, flake, flake, scam, flake, scam, lowball, scam, scam.

- "Hi I'm from Montreal, I want to pay via Paypal for the item, $200 over your asking price, and have you ship it to my son in Florida as a bday present"
- "Why aren't you buying the 50 of these laptops available via Ebay or Craigslist for comparable/lower price in Florida?"
- [nothing]

That one was my fav thus far.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3224 posts
488 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
I have straight up stopped using Kijiji. EIther it is a RFD deal or Facebook deal or it is nothing. So tired of the scams, lowballs, flakes, and hassles.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16992 posts
14128 upvotes
Toronto
I like RFD for sales due to feedback . However Kijiji definitely gets more eyeballs. I've sold items , without incident, listed on Toronto Kijiji to people as far away as Quebec.

Only had one issue and coincidentally was a BNIB Rogers modem that I won. Guy bought it from me and waited months to actually plug it in. Then I had to jump through all sorts of hoops with Rogers to get it on his account. Anyhow he was dumb enough to make veiled threats using his work email. I didn't escalate with his employer but certainly would have if he continued.

As usual best to do big $ transactions in a safe place (Police Station, bank w/guard, etc). Also don't waste time replying to lowballers and scammers.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6028 posts
4497 upvotes
North York
I am going through a similar experience. Sold a computer, buyer came to check out. I walked through every components that they are fully functional and drivers updated. I even insisted the buyer to check out the computer for himself.
For the past month or so, I've been contacted numerous times for trivial "issues" which I patiently helped out every single time. But I need this to stop, this can't go on forever.

First, "HDMI port doesn't work" - guess what port was used? onboard instead of dedicated gpu
"i don't have my own account?" - I googled on my phone 'how to create account in windows 10' and sent the first entry.
"it says my account does not have admin access",
"yo, where is my other hard drive?" , etc..
I had to install TeamViewer and remote to his computer to fix these little things.

A week later, "the ethernet port is not working", I asked to install/update driver. The network card is RealTek, and someone was trying to install Intel driver. I got really tired and fed up, I don't want to walk through everything. I told him I'll just buy a pci ethernet card and send to him. When the card arrived, he sent me a text saying he didn't know where and how to put the card in, which eventually he did.

Now almost 2 weeks later, "there's rattling noise" "gpu fan cracked". I don't know what to say. I do suspect while trying to put in the pci ethernet, he accidentally hit the fan and cracked it.

"I am quite upset. ever since I've gotten this all I've had is problem". This is what he said.

what am i supposed to do?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5086 posts
1004 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cool story but tl;dr

one thing stood out was that i also thought he meant $130 for only 9865 since $130 for BOTH (from $220) seems like too much of a discount. i would have done $200 or $190 for both at best. and besides, if he was willing to pay the same amount for less then its a better deal for you?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9547 posts
1081 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 2:16 pm
cool story but tl;dr

one thing stood out was that i also thought he meant $130 for only 9865 since $130 for BOTH (from $220) seems like too much of a discount. i would have done $200 or $190 for both at best. and besides, if he was willing to pay the same amount for less then its a better deal for you?
I could see the confusion, there was another 3 emails where we agreed on $130 for both. That’s one hell of a discount.

He keeps asking me to EMT him $80 back, even if I could i can’t EMT to a masked kijiji email address lol.

The guy has no clue what he’s doing.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2712 posts
759 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 2:04 pm
I am going through a similar experience. Sold a computer, buyer came to check out. I walked through every components that they are fully functional and drivers updated. I even insisted the buyer to check out the computer for himself.
For the past month or so, I've been contacted numerous times for trivial "issues" which I patiently helped out every single time. But I need this to stop, this can't go on forever.

First, "HDMI port doesn't work" - guess what port was used? onboard instead of dedicated gpu
"i don't have my own account?" - I googled on my phone 'how to create account in windows 10' and sent the first entry.
I had to install TeamViewer and remote to his computer to fix these little things.

A week later, "the ethernet port is not working", I asked to install/update driver. The network card is RealTek, and someone was trying to install Intel driver. I got really tired and fed up, I don't want to walk through everything. I told him I'll just buy a pci ethernet card and send to him. When the card arrived, he sent me a text saying he didn't know where and how to put the card in, which eventually he did.

Now almost 2 weeks later, "there's rattling noise" "gpu fan cracked". I don't know what to say. I do suspect while trying to put in the pci ethernet, he accidentally hit the fan and cracked it.

"I am quite upset. ever since I've gotten this all I've had is problem". This is what he said.

Nothing at all.
you actually shouldn't help him with tech support. You should just point him to instructional guides online to let him do it himself. The more you spoon feed him the faster he'll be back for more.

If you honestly had a good working computer before, and you sold it in good faith to this guy who knows nothing about computers, you shouldn't feel any guilt whatsoever. You upheld your end of the deal.

Every buyer has a responsibility to also know that there are no warranties on used products off Kijiji and the lower price they pay reflects that.
If they want warranty and tech support, they should simply go to best buy to get brand new.

That's how the world works - more money = more service = peace of mind.
If someone doesn't understand that fundamental truth then its not worth speaking to them further.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2712 posts
759 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 2:16 pm
cool story but tl;dr

you're sort of missing the whole point of the story - the price isn't really relevant in this story - its more about the buyer having no clue what he was doing and being a retard
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2745 posts
1269 upvotes
Burlington
konsensei wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 2:04 pm

Tell him to get to steppin. I wouldn't have even answered the first question lol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6028 posts
4497 upvotes
North York
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 2:44 pm
Nothing at all.
you actually shouldn't help him with tech support. You should just point him to instructional guides online to let him do it himself. The more you spoon feed him the faster he'll be back for more.

If you honestly had a good working computer before, and you sold it in good faith to this guy who knows nothing about computers, you shouldn't feel any guilt whatsoever. You upheld your end of the deal.

Every buyer has a responsibility to also know that there are no warranties on used products off Kijiji and the lower price they pay reflects that.
If they want warranty and tech support, they should simply go to best buy to get brand new.

That's how the world works - more money = more service = peace of mind.
If someone doesn't understand that fundamental truth then its not worth speaking to them further.
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 3:05 pm
Tell him to get to steppin. I wouldn't have even answered the first question lol.
This is my first ever experience selling anything on kijiji and get constant complaints. It gets to a point it's not so much a complaint, but an accusation that I sold a bad broken computer.
I always try to stand behind what I sold, and try to help as much as I can. But i think this has gone to another level.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2745 posts
1269 upvotes
Burlington
konsensei wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 3:27 pm
This is my first ever experience selling anything on kijiji and get constant complaints. It gets to a point it's not so much a complaint, but an accusation that I sold a bad broken computer.
I always try to stand behind what I sold, and try to help as much as I can. But i think this has gone to another level.
You lose a little bit of faith in humanity every time you interact with the general public.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6028 posts
4497 upvotes
North York
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 3:33 pm
You lose a little bit of faith in humanity every time you interact with the general public.
I sold a gpu last year or so, buyer got a remorse or something, complained the card didn't work, noisy, etc... I took it back, returned the money, tested the card myself, there was no issue. I sold to someone else for slightly better price after that.

I just dont understand what this current person wants. He just keeps accusing me selling a broken computer.