Shopping Discussion

A guide for you kijiji sellers out there and dealing with scammers/buyers remorse/etc AFTER you have sold an item

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 6:42 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Abeesee wrote: When I sell something like electronics or tools on Kijiji I always invite the buyer to my house to demonstrate everything is working. Protection for them since they know it is working and protection for me since if they damage it during transportation or thereafter I am not responsible anymore.
Once cash and item being sold transfers hands you are no longer responsible. Plain and simple.

Since each user has an account now, usually, it would be cool if they implemented a feedback system.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
I am sorry but the tittle of this thread is completely missleading. Should be " A guide on what NOT to do for you kijiji sellers..."

Meeting a kijiji buyer at your place (worst at your father place) then accepted a lowballer offer from $220 to $130 for both units and last getting into an argument with insults (Wrote to him to F off ) when the guy knows your fathers number and address.

OP are you sure you have experience dealing on kijiji? Cuz you made huge mistakes on this deal.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
I tend to stay away from Kijiji and Craigslist if I can possibly help it. RFD is where I feel most comfortable selling an item. I also insist on in-person deals so I can demonstrate that the items are working as described in my ad before closing the deal.

I don't mind providing a bit of after-sales support.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
ToDealHunter wrote: I am sorry but the tittle of this thread is completely missleading. Should be " A guide on what NOT to do for you kijiji sellers..."

Meeting a kijiji buyer at your place (worst at your father place) then accepted a lowballer offer from $220 to $130 for both units and last getting into an argument with insults (Wrote to him to F off ) when the guy knows your fathers number and address.

OP are you sure you have experience dealing on kijiji? Cuz you made huge mistakes on this deal.
Yes I have experience with Kijiji. The guy finally stopped calling my dad and is still emailing me non stop begging for $80. It’s not gonna happen. It was my dad that accepted 130 because they were useless to him anyways so he didn’t care. And i did keep telling him to meet at the very least the corner by his place. He said it wasn’t that big of a deal and he didn’t want to listen to me.

Whole reason I posted the ad for him is because he is pretty much illiterate with computers.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
Anything above $400, I stick to RFD. Feedback system makes seller describes item more accurate. I bought one tablet in kijiji and seller said it’s mint and no issue. But actually it’s defective. Later I found seller was selling it in RFD too and literally said there was a defect and he had 50 positive feedback.
Jul 8, 2014
389 posts
265 upvotes
AB
didn't want to make a new thread, so bumping up this old one:

I sold a gorpo 5 to a guy on kijiji, he picked it up at my house, and he tested it and I showed him how it works etc.

He contacts me about a week later saying he is unhappy with the sound quality (admittedly, the audio on the hero 5 black is not the greatest), but that's just a gorpro product flaw not a defect in the one I sold him. There are tons of youtube videos and forums about people complaining about the audio on the hero 5.

Any how, he asked for a refund. Does his request for a refund hold any water, or should i say final sale? He was a nice enough guy and i do feel bad he wasn't happy with the product, but I already spent the money.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1765 posts
832 upvotes
damatick wrote: didn't want to make a new thread, so bumping up this old one:

I sold a gorpo 5 to a guy on kijiji, he picked it up at my house, and he tested it and I showed him how it works etc.

He contacts me about a week later saying he is unhappy with the sound quality (admittedly, the audio on the hero 5 black is not the greatest), but that's just a gorpro product flaw not a defect in the one I sold him. There are tons of youtube videos and forums about people complaining about the audio on the hero 5.

Any how, he asked for a refund. Does his request for a refund hold any water, or should i say final sale? He was a nice enough guy and i do feel bad he wasn't happy with the product, but I already spent the money.
Final sale, this should be pretty much a given for anything bought off Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
damatick wrote:
Private sales - especially of second hand goods - are considered to be as-is sales, unless the seller makes specific warranties.

The product was not defective, and you demonstrated the product before the purchase was completed.

You're under no obligation, legally or morally, to offer any sort of a refund or compensation.

I would just reply that it's unfortunate he's not happy with the device after having it for a week, but as you demonstrated to him before he bought it, everything was working fine and there were no technical or physical issues without it. You could go on to say that you've since looked online and there may be some solutions to whatever he's not happy with, but as far as your transaction is concerned, private sales are considered final sale and therefore you're not prepared to offer a refund.

If he does the threaten anything (legal or otherwise) thank him for his comments and then say you will not be replying to any further correspondence.

As long as you didn't say anything misleading in your posting, he has no legal grounds. If he threatens you with anything else, I would just call the police.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Dec 4, 2005
203 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Meet in a public place, don't use your regular email address, don't give out your phone number. Use Freetone or similar apps for a second local number.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
damatick wrote: didn't want to make a new thread, so bumping up this old one:

Personally, I probably wouldn't even reply.
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
when you give the person ample time to look, inspect and try out the item.. even taking the time to show them the basics of operation thus giving them time to re-consider the transaction on the spot, i would say a full weeks time later classifies as done deal.

you aren't a store, you don't offer a warranty or refund/exchange. so this person is SOL on any recourse.

i get dip shits like this all the time... it doesn't matter what the item is i always get the buyers remorse story. one that i can remember the most is the guy who bought my step son's xbox 360. he had it for about 3 weeks. then one day he messages me through the kijiji messenger saying he needs to return the gaming system and the games because rent is due and he needs the money to pay his rent.

i'm like umm this wasn't a rental Eisenstein.... it was a sale. and you are the proud new owner of a fantasic gaming system. the dude actually got his landlord to message me saying that he needs to get "paid" so that he can pay rent.... i reply back for shits and giggles saying "umm paid ?", he replies back saying his tenant said he had done work for me as a side job and instead of getting paid i gave him a gaming system !!!.

i say well i feel bad for you having a tenant like him but he bought that system from me roughly 3 weeks ago and spent his rent on it and now wants to return it for his money. not my problem, but it seems like it's yours. you have fun with that.... i would evict him to save this hassle again.

i have also had the "parts switching" buyers, the "i thought i was buying this model", the "it's not working"..... heck i've had angry moms message me because their teen spent saved money on things they weren't saving for.... not my problem their kid can't stay focused.

once i hand off the item and they walk away it's theirs now and they can do what they please with it. i'm not a store and i don't do returns of any kind.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7972 posts
9093 upvotes
Toronto
Abeesee wrote: When I sell something like electronics or tools on Kijiji I always invite the buyer to my house to demonstrate everything is working.
What if you're selling a vibrator?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5101 posts
718 upvotes
Ancaster
Just chiming in to add some positivity and maybe restore some faith in humanity -- I was that other guy you're all talking about. Yes -- the Kijiji guy who emails back. Sort of.

A bit of a different situation though. Bought a camera ages ago. It got bumped at an awkward angle and the battery-retaining spring broke off.
When I bought it, the seller mentioned he has warranty with a local camera shop. I immediately called him and told him what happened and whether he could accompany me so that we can try our luck at the warranty thing. I knew (and I suspect he did as well) that this probably wouldn't work, but he was agreeable to meet up later on, went to the shop together.

Obviously, the clip never got fixed.

Anyways, I don't know if I bought the guy a coffee in the end, but he definitely deserved one.
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
good buyers are great...i've gotten some messages later on after the buyer took possession wanting to let me know how they enjoy the item and doing business.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
470 upvotes
Winnipeg
recently just put up a grill on kijiji, and go a couple quick replies (since I put it up with a really good price). One guy who was interested asked for my best final price, gave it to him, and he said he's very interested and would pay me right away with a money order and hoped I can do online deposits. I've never done mobile deposits before but have heard horror stories where the checks were fake but would take the bank days before they bounce back. So I told him it's cash only and never heard back from the guy again. The second guy who was interested texted me the next day, looked at the grill, asked for best price and haggled and sold it to him there.

Deals are easy if both parties are willing to sell and buy at reasonable price. Also, to each his own, but if it comes down to like haggling for that last $5 or $10 bucks, why bother to waste the time.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Capricornxs wrote: recently just put up a grill on kijiji, and go a couple quick replies (since I put it up with a really good price). One guy who was interested asked for my best final price, gave it to him, and he said he's very interested and would pay me right away with a money order and hoped I can do online deposits. I've never done mobile deposits before but have heard horror stories where the checks were fake but would take the bank days before they bounce back. So I told him it's cash only and never heard back from the guy again. The second guy who was interested texted me the next day, looked at the grill, asked for best price and haggled and sold it to him there.

Deals are easy if both parties are willing to sell and buy at reasonable price. Also, to each his own, but if it comes down to like haggling for that last $5 or $10 bucks, why bother to waste the time.
Anyone who tries to haggle in person after agreeing on a price and meetup time, I always say no out of principle because I find it annoying and I'd rather not sell the item and see them drive home empty handed.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
How would you handle this?

So a couple months ago I list a set of rare books for sale on Kijiji.

I find a buyer. Buyer asks me for my phone number. Ok, I give it to him.

Turns out he's a police officer. Wants me to meet me down at the station where he works. I sell him the books.

1 week later I get a text. He tells me the books were advertised as 8th edition (most recent) but were actually 7th edition. He wants his money back.

Ok this is my bad though he could have easily scanned all the pages inside by then.

I meet with him and give him his money back.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
I used to be quite easygoing when it came to Kijiji...but new rules now. I never meet anyone at my house.

I have had multiple scary incidents.

One time I sold a collector set of trading cards for 10.00, which normally go for around 50, but were a little beaten up. So I advertise them on Kijiji. I find a buyerand like all times before, I invite him to my house for pickup. But he wants to come on a day where I was busy and he lives at another part of town closer to my Mom's house. I ask my Mom and she says it's ok for him to come by and pay her at her house.

He comes by and buys the card set. A few days layer I get a text that says he isn't happy because the card case has a small tear in it. I told him he came in person..so why didn't he just refuse to pay once he saw the case.

Crazy guy replies "The old woman at the door intimidates me".

Now my mom is 75 years old and can hardly walk and can't intimidate a fly.

He says he wants his 10.00 back and because he wasted his time coming to my house he wants compensation. He looks through my other Kijiji ads and sees I'm selling a set of star wars action figures for 100.00. He asks me to have those as compensation. I tell him no.

So he responds back about how I wasted his time and tells me this isn't how they do business at Wal Mart.

Eventually I ginore him and he goes away.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1876 posts
1480 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I’ve had good transactions recently

Yesterday sold a 6700k processor. Met the guy outside a grocery store. He checked out the processor handed me the cash, looked about right amount and said I trusted him and didn’t even count it.

Last week sold gaming laptop on FB Buy and Sell Guy drove to me, met a Tim’s and did a quick once over and handed me the cash.
May 25, 2007
697 posts
424 upvotes
Edmonton
I guess I am just very fortunate to be living in the south side of Edmonton. I used to only meet at public places but I found the time needed to travel not worth it. Plus meeting people in sketchy parts of town just doesn't feel safe.

Nowadays I only allow pickup from my house or work. I have never had any issues giving people my address or my phone number (except the standard scam SMS's from outside your area code to buy your phone).

If I let buyers pickup from my home, I find that they are more comfortable that I am not scamming them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)