Shopping Discussion

A guide for you kijiji sellers out there and dealing with scammers/buyers remorse/etc AFTER you have sold an item

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 6:42 pm
Feb 1, 2019
323 posts
133 upvotes
Alberta
damatick wrote: didn't want to make a new thread, so bumping up this old one:

I sold a gorpo 5 to a guy on kijiji, he picked it up at my house, and he tested it and I showed him how it works etc.

He contacts me about a week later saying he is unhappy with the sound quality (admittedly, the audio on the hero 5 black is not the greatest), but that's just a gorpro product flaw not a defect in the one I sold him. There are tons of youtube videos and forums about people complaining about the audio on the hero 5.

Any how, he asked for a refund. Does his request for a refund hold any water, or should i say final sale? He was a nice enough guy and i do feel bad he wasn't happy with the product, but I already spent the money.
Gimme a break A refund on kijiji?!! You showed him the product, tested it, it's a done deal. He can be unhappy with Sound Quality if he bought it at retail level w/warranty but he didn't, tell him to sell it on kijiji or contact Manufacturer.

There's too many dishonest sellers that make it hard for the rest of us. I listed Bose Soundtouch year ago got Employee disc from BB on kijiji, Buyer in White Rock emailed me offer said he's willing to pay for Shipping, etc. I told him I'll have to get quote from Purolator before confirming order, guy did e-transfer before I packed it up. He called back when he received item, I emailed him warranty registration.
Feb 1, 2019
323 posts
133 upvotes
Alberta
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: when you give the person ample time to look, inspect and try out the item.. even taking the time to show them the basics of operation thus giving them time to re-consider the transaction on the spot, i would say a full weeks time later classifies as done deal.

you aren't a store, you don't offer a warranty or refund/exchange. so this person is SOL on any recourse.

i get dip shits like this all the time... it doesn't matter what the item is i always get the buyers remorse story. one that i can remember the most is the guy who bought my step son's xbox 360. he had it for about 3 weeks. then one day he messages me through the kijiji messenger saying he needs to return the gaming system and the games because rent is due and he needs the money to pay his rent.

i'm like umm this wasn't a rental Eisenstein.... it was a sale. and you are the proud new owner of a fantasic gaming system. the dude actually got his landlord to message me saying that he needs to get "paid" so that he can pay rent.... i reply back for shits and giggles saying "umm paid ?", he replies back saying his tenant said he had done work for me as a side job and instead of getting paid i gave him a gaming system !!!.

i say well i feel bad for you having a tenant like him but he bought that system from me roughly 3 weeks ago and spent his rent on it and now wants to return it for his money. not my problem, but it seems like it's yours. you have fun with that.... i would evict him to save this hassle again.

i have also had the "parts switching" buyers, the "i thought i was buying this model", the "it's not working"..... heck i've had angry moms message me because their teen spent saved money on things they weren't saving for.... not my problem their kid can't stay focused.

once i hand off the item and they walk away it's theirs now and they can do what they please with it. i'm not a store and i don't do returns of any kind.
LoLolol...that's hilarious
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
ryde or die wrote: I guess I am just very fortunate to be living in the south side of Edmonton. I used to only meet at public places but I found the time needed to travel not worth it. Plus meeting people in sketchy parts of town just doesn't feel safe.

Nowadays I only allow pickup from my house or work. I have never had any issues giving people my address or my phone number (except the standard scam SMS's from outside your area code to buy your phone).

god i'd NEVER do that...for privacy and security issues..what if he tries to rob u! i always meet at public place, mcDs, walmarts,tims,etc
also never use ur real cell number, always email or use a burner text app like textnow or only msg via the KJ app

If I let buyers pickup from my home, I find that they are more comfortable that I am not scamming them.
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Nov 12, 2012
599 posts
288 upvotes
Port Moody
Operatime wrote: Wow, whenever I hear stories here about people having problem on Kijiji, it seems like they are buying/selling electronics. Maybe there's something about that that makes people crazy.

I've met lots of nice people on Kijiji and I almost always meet at my or their house (but I always tell someone where I'm going). Furniture, baby items and housewares have always gone pretty smoothly for me, but I've also bought older Nintendo stuff and a grand piano without issue.

Yesterday I bought a big, heavy mirror from an older lady. She wouldn't let me put it in my van and had her son meticulously load it for me. Then when I got home she had sent me a message thanking me and hoping I would enjoy it. There are really nice people out there!
I buy and sell stuff on Craigslist all the time and have absolutely wonderful success stories.

The moral of this specific story is to never buy or sell electronics privately. It's sooo high risk and like this one illustrates, a massive PITA.

Having said that, I was desperate recently for a VCR. Mine ate two of my VHS tapes when i went to transfer them to DVD. I had no choice but to go to Craigslist for a new one. I found a barely used one locally for $20. But it wasn't tested. And they didn't want to meet at their house for a demo. I smelled scam, but after some prodding, the seller offered to meet at Tim Hortons to demo it there. When I met him, he was there with his elderly mother, and I found out she wanted to see the VCR go to a good home! I told her I was so happy because i needed a new VCR to transfer my old home movies. She was thrilled! The son demoed the VCR, handed me a remote with new batteries, and I handed the elderly woman $20 and told her she was wonderful and I loved my new VCR! I even offered to buy them coffee because the VCR was so pristine!

Maybe this was rare, but I think we should always try to have an open mind. There's a lot of a-holes out there, but there's also a lot of people like the little old lady and her son! Winking Face
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
just had a choice "scumbag of the week" kijiji meet up. this guy was something else !

we agree on a time and place to meet. i'm early as i like to be respectful to the seller and not have them waiting as we all have shit to do, this guy sends me texts saying first he had to get gas, then made a wrong turn and has to double back then asking where am i since he can't see me (we met at a tim hortons and i parked away from the crowd so that i'm easily seen and we don't have prying ears and eyes wanting to make random conversation during our transaction) because he's color blind and can't tell which vehicle is mine.

i'm already to call this off and leave as this usually doesn't turn out well. but alas he finds me and won't even get out of his car to do a person to person discussion and hand off (guys like this always have something to hide, unless it's raining hard or windy as hell) so i'm standing outside his drivers door taking a hand off like we are exchanging government secrets or i'm a dealer.

i was buying a futurama complete series dvd set and the matrix 4K blu ray set. he's like ok good to go just need to get the cash ! i'm like umm lemme just check the discs out and make sure everything's ok if you don't mind. the guy then starts to make this moaning sound like i had just told him he has a flat tire or an unexpected bill came in the mail. so i say ORRRR i could just assume they are in bad shape and step away from this transaction.

he says no, go ahead and please us both and have a look. and a good thing i did as the matrix was fine and in excellent shape BUT the futurama wasn't. volume 1-2 was missing a disc, volume 3-4 was missing 3 discs and volumes 5-6-7-8 were missing the complete season 6 and one disc from season 8. i'm like umm there seems to be missing discs in this set. he then says ohhh shoot yeah no yeah my sister borrowed it from me a while ago and i think she still has those discs, but if not you can just jump on torrent and grab them and burn to dvd and you are good to go.

i say umm no, what we can do is i just take the matrix for our agreed price on it and you take this and run by your sisters place and grab the discs. once you have it in complete then contact me and i will gladly swing by your place or meet somewhere and we can finish the deal for this set. he says OR you can go by my sisters and grab the discs, i can just give her a call and say you will come get them. nope, no sir i'm not going to do that... so then he says he really needs the cash in full or he will just go with the next interested buyer for the two items. i'm like fine with me chief, you do what you feel is beneficial to your cause. i can source out these another day. then proceed to get back in my car to leave when he jumps out and taps on my window and says ok fine i will do the deal for the matrix and then message you later when i have the other discs.

like who goes to a meet up or even says pick up and doesn't check their stuff before hand. i don't know about other buyers, but i don't like lingering around a buyers house or at a public place as it starts to feel/look suspicious. i doubt i will even meet up again for the futurama set as this guy just grinded my gears about the whole meet up.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: just had a choice "scumbag of the week" kijiji meet up. this guy was something else !

we agree on a time and place to meet. i'm early as i like to be respectful to the seller and not have them waiting as we all have shit to do, this guy sends me texts saying first he had to get gas, then made a wrong turn and has to double back then asking where am i since he can't see me (we met at a tim hortons and i parked away from the crowd so that i'm easily seen and we don't have prying ears and eyes wanting to make random conversation during our transaction) because he's color blind and can't tell which vehicle is mine.

i'm already to call this off and leave as this usually doesn't turn out well. but alas he finds me and won't even get out of his car to do a person to person discussion and hand off (guys like this always have something to hide, unless it's raining hard or windy as hell) so i'm standing outside his drivers door taking a hand off like we are exchanging government secrets or i'm a dealer.

i was buying a futurama complete series dvd set and the matrix 4K blu ray set. he's like ok good to go just need to get the cash ! i'm like umm lemme just check the discs out and make sure everything's ok if you don't mind. the guy then starts to make this moaning sound like i had just told him he has a flat tire or an unexpected bill came in the mail. so i say ORRRR i could just assume they are in bad shape and step away from this transaction.

he says no, go ahead and please us both and have a look. and a good thing i did as the matrix was fine and in excellent shape BUT the futurama wasn't. volume 1-2 was missing a disc, volume 3-4 was missing 3 discs and volumes 5-6-7-8 were missing the complete season 6 and one disc from season 8. i'm like umm there seems to be missing discs in this set. he then says ohhh shoot yeah no yeah my sister borrowed it from me a while ago and i think she still has those discs, but if not you can just jump on torrent and grab them and burn to dvd and you are good to go.

i say umm no, what we can do is i just take the matrix for our agreed price on it and you take this and run by your sisters place and grab the discs. once you have it in complete then contact me and i will gladly swing by your place or meet somewhere and we can finish the deal for this set. he says OR you can go by my sisters and grab the discs, i can just give her a call and say you will come get them. nope, no sir i'm not going to do that... so then he says he really needs the cash in full or he will just go with the next interested buyer for the two items. i'm like fine with me chief, you do what you feel is beneficial to your cause. i can source out these another day. then proceed to get back in my car to leave when he jumps out and taps on my window and says ok fine i will do the deal for the matrix and then message you later when i have the other discs.

like who goes to a meet up or even says pick up and doesn't check their stuff before hand. i don't know about other buyers, but i don't like lingering around a buyers house or at a public place as it starts to feel/look suspicious. i doubt i will even meet up again for the futurama set as this guy just grinded my gears about the whole meet up.
As soon as I saw the multiple missing discs I would have called off the entire deal. That said your first mistake was buying Futurama DVDs but that's another story :)
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
i thought futurama was a good show ? i've seen a few episodes and they seemed ok. the dang PS2 game costs a fortune on ebay so i thought it was because the show was good.
no matter where you go, there you are.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)