• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2013 3:21 pm
Tags:
None
7 replies
Jul 5, 2004
21625 posts
1720 upvotes
I absolutely hate these videos and here's why.

That dog doesn't associate eating the cat treats with being bad, at least not long after the fact. That is not why the dog has its ears back and head down. The dog is acting "scared" due to the tone of its owner. The dog knows something is wrong because of the way the guy is talking to it. My dogs haven't done anything bad today (or in a long time actually) but if I go up to my dogs and talk to them in that exact tone, they will act the same way. They will think they're in trouble and will submit to me the same way that dog did. That poor dog knows something is wrong and it has no idea what, but thankfully this guy got some entertainment value out of making his dog upset...
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
8795 posts
666 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Shaner wrote:
Aug 29th, 2013 1:58 pm

That dog doesn't associate eating the cat treats with being bad, at least not long after the fact. That is not why the dog has its ears back and head down. The dog is acting "scared" due to the tone of its owner. The dog knows something is wrong because of the way the guy is talking to it. My dogs haven't done anything bad today (or in a long time actually) but if I go up to my dogs and talk to them in that exact tone, they will act the same way. They will think they're in trouble and will submit to me the same way that dog did. That poor dog knows something is wrong and it has no idea what, but thankfully this guy got some entertainment value out of making his dog upset...
Not necessarily true. I hear what you're saying since dogs view owners as the pack leaders and as such the submissive deference behavior of what you speak between the dominant leader and submissive animal does exist. I hardly found Denver's owner's voice to be dominating or exhibiting a condescending tone. Here's Denver and her owners on GMA talking about it.

http://youtu.be/d3f-r_odJ5k
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jul 5, 2004
21625 posts
1720 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Aug 29th, 2013 10:23 pm
Not necessarily true. I hear what you're saying since dogs view owners as the pack leaders and as such the submissive deference behavior of what you speak between the dominant leader and submissive animal does exist. I hardly found Denver's owner's voice to be dominating or exhibiting a condescending tone. Here's Denver and her owners on GMA talking about it.

http://youtu.be/d3f-r_odJ5k
It wasn't dominating, but it was a tone that is often reserved for when the dog did something wrong. Like I said, if I went up to my dogs right now and talked in that tone with the words he used, my dogs would act the same way. The dog didn't act that way because it knew it was in trouble for eating those cat treats, it was submissive because it knew something was wrong based on the words, tone and actions of its owner. It's just my opinion on the video and I know most aren't going to agree with me. I just don't like these videos, that's all. That dog looked very upset
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Jul 25, 2008
629 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Aug 29th, 2013 1:58 pm

Not necessarily true... my dog knows when he did something wrong. He's home alone all day for 8 hours. Sometimes we come home and haven't even witnessed his trouble, but he's already hiding, or greets us for a short period of time then hides, or walks slowly towards us with his head and tail down. When we discover his mess, he hears that specific tone in our voice and he knows we have found out.

Sometimes I test him because we like to for fun. We'll use that tone, and he'll just look like with a daze in his eyes as in he has no idea what he did because he didn't do anything! I have a yorkie though... and boy are they smart. Too smart for their own good, but I love him to pieces!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2068 posts
272 upvotes
Newmarket
I think it's funny, just like many I have tendency to humanize our pets so yes I smiled watching it.
However Shaner is absolutely correct, the dog has no idea what's going on, he only knows there is trouble and is scared, to take it even further there is fear aggression manifested in showing teeth and if the owner takes it a bit further it may even get bitten.

Dogs are not humans, we tend to forget that ;-)
× < >