None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1307 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto

Gutting a 1954 Sidesplit - Full gut job + 500 sq ft Addition

After a few requests, and that one badass thread, I thought I would try my hand at a thread to track the progress of my upcoming project.

The House:
  • Existing house was built in 1954
  • Sits on a 100x150ft lot near the Scarborough Bluffs
  • We bought the house 3 years ago from a couple who had tried to 'flip' it
The Project:
  • Gut existing ~1500 sq ft side split home built in 1954
  • Build ~500 sq ft addition
  • Move entire kitchen ~20ft
  • Replace entire roof including trusses and install ~20ft cathedral ceiling
  • New 10kw Solar System on the new roof (not confirmed)
The circumstances:
I will be taking ~6-8mths off work to act as the GC. I am an IT Project Manager, so it will be a similar job, but different...

Already Done:
  • Rented accommodations
  • Plans are done by architect and Engineer - ready to be submitted to building dept
Next up:
  • Submit plans to building dept ASAP
  • Buy Truck & Dump Trailer
  • Find Masonry Contractor
  • Take down hedge and a couple of trees
  • Start packing
Edit: forgot to add - Start Date of Demolition is Aug 1st.
150 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1307 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Site Plan:

Existing Floorplan / Demo Plan:

New Floorplan:

Front Elevation:
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1605 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
Looking forward to your new adventure, as mines is coming to a close. :)

Cheers and good luck!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7356 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
Masonry or a concrete/foundation contractor?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1307 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Drew_W wrote:
Jun 9th, 2016 11:14 pm
Masonry or a concrete/foundation contractor?
Need someone to pour footings, foundations, slabs, porch. I have looked up foundation contractors, but it seems that they just do waterproofing or crack repairs. Thus, I have been looking into masons (it is a block foundation) and most do this type of work as a main line of work.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1947 posts
594 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for starting this thread, I'm strapped in and looking forward to your updates...especially the roof. ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3643 posts
504 upvotes
can't wait to see this!

can we have a RFD viewing party at the final reveal as well? :D
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7135 posts
4084 upvotes
Edmonton
Hurry up and post some deets, man! I've got a reno project (1939 2 story gut job) starting in 2 weeks, and I need to know what not to do! :)

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9550 posts
3756 upvotes
Toronto
Bump for interest. You are going to kill your year to post ratio.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1307 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 10th, 2016 9:18 am
Hurry up and post some deets, man! I've got a reno project (1939 2 story gut job) starting in 2 weeks, and I need to know what not to do! :)

C
I will probably be learning from you - we don't start for another month and a half (Aug 1)! Sorry! I added that to the main post. I thought people might be interested in all of the planning steps that need to be done. I will try and post before pics and plans from the architect tonight.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7135 posts
4084 upvotes
Edmonton
Ours probably isn't going to be as extensive as yours... Stripping the interior walls (lath and plaster) out so we can re-wire, then insulating and drywalling. Kitchen re-model, but in the same place, minus one wall. Powder room added on main floor.

Right now, I'm planning on doing most of the work myself. Demo, electrical, drywall, painting, installing kitchen... I'll get someone else to do the mudding and taping, though. I have limits! :)

C
Oct 13, 2011
492 posts
263 upvotes
Sorry, I haven't read your other thread, but if this has already been covered, please accept my apoloty. Would you be able to share why you decide to renovate instead of tearing down the existing home and start new?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1307 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Rothesay wrote:
Jun 10th, 2016 10:07 am
Sorry, I haven't read your other thread, but if this has already been covered, please accept my apoloty. Would you be able to share why you decide to renovate instead of tearing down the existing home and start new?
We seriously looked at tearing down the house. The attached garage is old and needs to be rebuilt...but in the end, it just seemed to make sense to work with what we had.

We want premium finishes - so it would have been ~$300/sqft so for 2000 sq ft, it would work out to approx 600k. plus the cost of the land. We will be doing this reno now, and a small addition to the bedrooms plus new garage (in 5-10yrs) and it still works out cheaper than tearing down and starting again. We will also end up being in the ~2500 sq ft range.

We did work with our architect on what the 'Master plan' looks like so that the house will nicely tie together when we do the second reno.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1755 posts
257 upvotes
Having just gone through exterior basement waterproofing, if you're having any issues with moisture in your basement now's the time to get it addressed.
Aug 3, 2005
609 posts
241 upvotes
I am also at the tail end of a 3 floor full gut reno (house is from 1974).

What is your budget if you dont mind me asking?