Guy fell on neighbors property and is sueing me

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 11:07 am
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
Funny, that people are saying bad things about lawyers. You cannot be a judge unless you have experience working as a lawyer.
Jan 12, 2017
729 posts
303 upvotes
Just like teachers, doctors, engineers and other professions, there are good and bad lawyers.

What most people find difficult to respect is that many of these professions do not seem to realize that their professions affect people and not addressing or speaking up about ethical failings of their membership results in poor public trust in those professions.

You certainly do not need to have worked at a lawyer to tell right from wrong, but lack of trust due to unaddressed and shady responses to ethical failures has encouraged society to judge too soon and too often these days (or sometimes not nearly enough!).
Poppwl wrote: Funny, that people are saying bad things about lawyers. You cannot be a judge unless you have experience working as a lawyer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6265 posts
2521 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: Just like teachers, doctors, engineers and other professions, there are good and bad lawyers.

What most people find difficult to respect is that many of these professions do not seem to realize that their professions affect people and not addressing or speaking up about ethical failings of their membership results in poor public trust in those professions.

You certainly do not need to have worked at a lawyer to tell right from wrong, but lack of trust due to unaddressed and shady responses to ethical failures has encouraged society to judge too soon and too often these days (or sometimes not nearly enough!).
Another problem with the law industry (in BC anyways) is that the profession, like realtors, is SELF-REGULATED. This leads to all kinds of problems when it comes to complaints, violations, etc. What is the incentive for the regulating body to properly discipline themselves? In theory, oversight is supposed to hold a profession to the highest standard but not sure how much faith the public have when they are their own overseers.
Aug 5, 2008
992 posts
281 upvotes
daivey wrote: i agree.. so much BS out there and fakes and phonies looking for free score... bunch of asshats.
99% of lawyers, give the rest a bad name
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6265 posts
2521 upvotes
junkmail2002 wrote: 99% of lawyers, give the rest a bad name
It's true. I had to interview 99 before I found a good one, the last time I needed one. I am exaggerating but I probably called 10 before I found the one that had the intelligence, integrity and skill that I needed. Surprisingly, he was one of the more affordable lawyers and when hired him, I learned that his opponents were a little fearful of him because I think he earned a reputation for being successful in his cases and highly cogent with his arguments.