Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Guy fell on neighbors property and is sueing me

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 9:42 pm
Aug 15, 2015
171 posts
28 upvotes
Markham, ON
If I saw this months ago, I would have said "Wait till they serve you before doing anything"

Ask your tenants if they also got a call about the incident. Maybe the lawyers threaten them too? Or maybe it was the person who fell the whole time pretending to be a lawyer.

How injured was that person? It would be sad if that person was gravely injured. You never mentioned how severe the fall was.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2459 upvotes
Edmonton
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:43 pm
If I saw this months ago, I would have said "Wait till they serve you before doing anything"

Ask your tenants if they also got a call about the incident. Maybe the lawyers threaten them too? Or maybe it was the person who fell the whole time pretending to be a lawyer.

How injured was that person? It would be sad if that person was gravely injured. You never mentioned how severe the fall was.
What difference does it make how badly injured the person was if it wasn't the OP's problem? He should pay it out just because he's a nice guy?

C
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11046 posts
2269 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 5:22 pm
What difference does it make how badly injured the person was if it wasn't the OP's problem? He should pay it out just because he's a nice guy?

C
Yup. Totally irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1287 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:43 pm

Why don't you start a gofundme for this person who got hurt?

Send us the link once it's completed.
Aug 15, 2015
171 posts
28 upvotes
Markham, ON
To the 3 person that quoted me. I was just wondering that's all.

I guess I better not fall and become unconscious in front of a vacant lot in a busy plaza since it would be irrelevant to all bystanders who are not property owners.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3150 posts
732 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 4:59 pm

I guess I better not fall and become unconscious in front of a vacant lot in a busy plaza since it would be irrelevant to all bystanders who are not property owners.
I didn't think of this myself right away but I think you ask a fair question. It may or may not be entirely relevant to the case but it would seem to me that knowing the extent of the person's injuries might shed more light on how serious the person's damages are and whether it seems reasonable that the injuries were the result of a fall or something else. Nothing wrong with knowing more information for discussion's sake.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1287 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Poppwl wrote:

Would you attempt to sue the business owner next door to the vacant lot where you fell and got hurt?
Aug 15, 2015
171 posts
28 upvotes
Markham, ON
Well if I fell and had extremely minor injury, I don't understand why I would sue because my body will heal very quickly. It's not worth the time or effort to sue.

If I fell and sustained serious and severe injury, I might be unable to speak because I might be in a coma. Therefore I have no control over what others might do on my behalf and am at the mercy of those people speaking on behalf of me.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3150 posts
732 upvotes
My experience in B.C. is that suing people is a big waste of time. Suing or being sued is really just a big stressful make work project where the likelihood of any justice or feeling of satisfaction is zero to nil. If someone truly did something wrong and another party sustained measurable damages, I think suing should be contemplated. But even then the courts are just brutal and a lot of the people who work in the court system are not deliverers of justice. The legal system is highly imperfect and if you have to deal with lawyers on your side or the other side, it often just makes it worse. I have dealt with lawyers who are highly dishonest (no offense to the honourable lawyers out there) and did things to the side that I was working for that in another profession would get a person disbarred. I feel sorry for those who lose loved ones and look to the courts for justice on things like murder, drunk driving, violence, etc. as so many times the victim becomes victimized twice when the offender gets off for a really bad reason. Maybe it's just me that I haven't seen a lot of good outcomes but personally I try to avoid the courts as much as possible. Or maybe justice is better delivered in other parts of our country.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2459 upvotes
Edmonton
Poppwl wrote:

Your example is irrelevant, as a property owner isn't necessarily responsible for you "falling and becoming unconscious" in front of their property. And even if you did pick a property that wasn't vacant, there's nothing saying that the "responsible party" would see your plight and save you.

So basically, don't fall and become unconscious. Which is good advice in general.

C
Oct 22, 2001
230 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Don't want to overgeneralize, but on some days, it certainly does feel like suing others for one's clumsiness has become part of this country's identity -- as much as hockey and Tim Horton's. I've heard of at least several cases of people suing a property owner for similar circumstances. You know what the ironic thing is? Those same people went to see their lawyer first before going to see a doctor several weeks later. Gee... I wonder what was going on in their head.

There should be a severe penalty for those who abuse the process. Cases like this waste public legal resources (eg. court rooms, judge's time).
Aug 15, 2015
171 posts
28 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think courts and lawyers are there only when people cannot resolve their own problems. It's more like you two cannot make a decision for something you two are arguing about. Please let me help you because it's not personal. That's civil.

For criminal, it's like let me stop you before you step even further into the wrong direction; however, there's still severe cases where everyone is at a loss as to what to do. During those times, it's more like what can we do to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

There's small claims court because some stuff is just not worth people's time. The judge is doing most of the work in small claims court.

Anyways, I just woke up so this is me sleep talking.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2459 upvotes
Edmonton
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:58 am
I think courts and lawyers are there only when people cannot resolve their own problems. It's more like you two cannot make a decision for something you two are arguing about. Please let me help you because it's not personal. That's civil.

For criminal, it's like let me stop you before you step even further into the wrong direction; however, there's still severe cases where everyone is at a loss as to what to do. During those times, it's more like what can we do to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

There's small claims court because some stuff is just not worth people's time. The judge is doing most of the work in small claims court.

Anyways, I just woke up so this is me sleep talking.
Ummm... Small claims court can be up to 25k. For most people, that's "worth their time" to defend (if they don't defend, it would be an automatic judgment against them, enforceable with a court order).

C
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
134 posts
17 upvotes
i find it funy and hiliarious how OP thinks he won and that he acted stand up and heroish.

they have a full 2 years to sue you. and you can be guaranteed you're gonna get a claim. lawyers dont just pick up cases for fun.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3150 posts
732 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:57 am
i find it funy and hiliarious how OP thinks he won and that he acted stand up and heroish.

they have a full 2 years to sue you. and you can be guaranteed you're gonna get a claim. lawyers dont just pick up cases for fun.
We'll see. It seems that the more time that passes, the less likely it is that OP will get sued. Lawyers are expensive and there is no guarantee the fall guy is going to win. So it is a matter of putting his money where his mouth is. He could also sue in small claims court but this isn't any trip to Disneyland either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

slicky803