• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 8:44 am
Dec 15, 2015
458 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
slicky803 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:45 am
This whole thread is a tire fire to begin with. I've suggested before that OP contact his insurer to let them take care of it, but instead he chooses to fumble around playing lawyer and threatening lawsuits. Now if he fumbles his way to a judgment against him, his insurer might not even indemnify him because he didn't inform them of the action which he SHOULD have, or give them the opportunity to competently defend, as he should have.
Hah, was thinking the same thing. Why didn't this dude just call insurance, give them the video and move on with life.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
27 posts
56 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 5:31 pm
Hah, was thinking the same thing. Why didn't this dude just call insurance, give them the video and move on with life.
OP here. I explained the situation early on in the thread. My insurance broker said that I should try and prevent them making a claim as the insurance company might just pay it rather than fight it and I would be left to pay my $2500 deductible. Shitty advice, and maybe it's time to find a new broker.

Unfortunately, I am the one who has to deal with this. I know all the players involved, I have all the evidence and I can explain it in a way that makes sense. If I just hand it off to some random insurance company employee they may not be motivated enough or care enough to put the effort into fighting it.

Also, I still haven't been served with anything. Once I get served I still have the option of telling my insurance company about it. I most likely will. Think what you want, but I have successfully dissuaded two law firms so far.
Dec 15, 2015
458 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
heynow9991 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 5:57 pm
OP here. I explained the situation early on in the thread. My insurance broker said that I should try and prevent them making a claim as the insurance company might just pay it rather than fight it and I would be left to pay my $2500 deductible. Shitty advice, and maybe it's time to find a new broker.

Unfortunately, I am the one who has to deal with this. I know all the players involved, I have all the evidence and I can explain it in a way that makes sense. If I just hand it off to some random insurance company employee they may not be motivated enough or care enough to put the effort into fighting it.

Also, I still haven't been served with anything. Once I get served I still have the option of telling my insurance company about it. I most likely will. Think what you want, but I have successfully dissuaded two law firms so far.
You do you my man, but it just seems like a colossal waste of time for something that could have gone away. As a business owner the first thing you should have done is put a value on your time. If you can afford to own commercial property in Markham you must be doing well. $2500 should be a drop in the bucket and just part of the 'its business, sh** happens fund'. It's also $2500 you likely wouldn't end up paying, insurance doesn't just roll over like you seem to think.
Jan 12, 2010
125 posts
24 upvotes
Read this whole thread and dropped by to root for the OP, go OP, fight the system!!! Down with the D-Bags!! Power to the People!!!
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
27 posts
56 upvotes
OP here, thanks for the encouragement.

I finally did get served with the lawsuit. I immediately sent the paperwork in to my insurance company.

Funny thing is that the plaintiffs lawyer is so bad, they didn't even have my name on the lawsuit. It has been 2 years and 4 months since the incident so they are too late to serve me. But I'm not off the hook. What's going to happen is my tenant is going to include me in the lawsuit, saying that I am responsible for the snow clearing. Then I may have to include my snowplow company, as I hire them to do the snow removal. It gets very complicated.

Fyi, they want 1 million dollars. Say that in Austin Powers voice
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1226 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
WTF? 1 million? Did the guy even get "hurt"? How bad could the fall be? A sprain or something? Good luck OP. Does the lawyer that is suing you know that you have a video?

Man, you took a tumble but just move on with your life. It's winter. Just be careful.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19473 posts
7885 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
this kind of story really angers me

la cosa nostra would just settle the case out of court.

good luck op.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24261 posts
2215 upvotes
Hamilton
Damn. Wow.

Thanks for the updates!
$35/5GB Koodo

Respect the hustle
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
27 posts
56 upvotes
OP here with another update.

My tenant has a lawyer. I have been talking to them and sharing evidence with them. My insurance company is setting me up with a lawyer, but I haven't talked to them yet.

I talked with the plaintiffs lawyer yesterday. This was the first time I had talked to the actual lawyer. I had called them to get a description of thier client, because throughout the lawsuit they refer to him as a male and a female. Like literally in one sentence it is a he and the next a she, then a he. I wanted to make sure I was looking at the right guy on the security video. She described him, and it is the right guy on the video who is shown walking into my property.

So we talk for a bit and she says I know you are claiming it didn't happen on your property and if you show me the evidence I am happy to release you from the suit. I told her I wanted to do that last year when they first called me but now that I'm facing a million dollar suit I need to get advice before I make any decisions. I reminded her that she has done a disservice to her client by pursuing the wrong owner for 2 years, and now the time has expired to go after the right property owner. Remarkably, she admits to me that her staff screwed up in not relaying the information to her that I had claimed it happened on the neighbors property. She said that prompted an office meeting to discuss how important it was to relay this kind of information. She also said that she had informed her insurance company of the mistake and the possible liability that they were facing. Both myself and the plaintiff have a good case against the lawyer. Remarkable.

All this bulls!tt because one dumb ass clerk doesn't talk to the lawyer.

As I have stated earlier, I still plan on counter suing everyone for malicious prosecution. I know some people have said it won't work, but I think in light of the recent developments I could get a judge to feel some pity on me. I won't get crazy and sue for "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" like they are. I plan on counting up every day that I have spent dealing with this and asking for $500 for every day. This is around what I make on an average day. I probably have 10 days into this so far. So $5k, small claims court, f*** them the bastards