Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
146 upvotes

Guy pays off $26500 student loan in less than 2 years

I thought this was a good story... guy graduates with $26,500 in student loans. He finds a job paying $13 dollars an hour and lives really cheap and puts all his money toward the loan, later finds a better job for $25/hr but still lives really cheap and puts all his money toward the loan, and his entire debt is gone in less than 2 years. Meanwhile we have people here going "wahh I have a student loan and I'm making the minimum payment and I'll never pay it off, help!"

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/08/pf/debt ... index.html
96 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6018 posts
4133 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We live in a materialistic world where every twenty something year old has to wear a goose, eat out every other night and drive a white 3-series.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11070 posts
2014 upvotes
yolo !

what's the point of living cheap ? you don't bring money with you to the grave
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
146 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 12:17 pm
yolo !

what's the point of living cheap ? you don't bring money with you to the grave
Cause if you live cheap when you are young, pay off your debts and start investing for the future, you will be living the good life down the road. It's about delayed gratification.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8597 posts
1014 upvotes
Yes, or the guy in the article finds a 30/hr job and pay it off within a few months. What is your point Bao.

Or the guy would have parents pay their way, and be putting all their money earned into the market or real estate and making it big. What is your point?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1025 posts
137 upvotes
KINGSTON, Ontario
The point is goals can be met with discipline. The guy in the article is setting a good & motivating example for others with similar goals.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
1771 posts
160 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 12:05 pm
I thought this was a good story... guy graduates with $26,500 in student loans. He finds a job paying $13 dollars an hour and lives really cheap and puts all his money toward the loan, later finds a better job for $25/hr but still lives really cheap and puts all his money toward the loan, and his entire debt is gone in less than 2 years. Meanwhile we have people here going "wahh I have a student loan and I'm making the minimum payment and I'll never pay it off, help!"

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/08/pf/debt ... index.html
Even while working 10- to 12-hour shifts, I'd skip meals -- eating a protein bar or drinking Ensure shakes to get me through the day. The occasional "splurge" entailed spending $5 at McDonald's for a Sunday breakfast of hotcakes, sausage and two hash browns.
His body is still in debt though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7190 posts
174 upvotes
BC
dgodsell wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 12:52 pm
The point is goals can be met with discipline. The guy in the article is setting a good & motivating example for others with similar goals.
except that is rare, regardless of the generations.

anyway, good for the guy in the article, hope there is more like him.
insert witty comment
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
LoL, dude got lucky and scored a $25 hour job through CNN. $26,500 is not that much to be honest. Everybody has the goals, like this guy I paid off my student load earlier, albeit much less than his; however, I saved and still enjoyed life.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8027 posts
413 upvotes
??? dumb i say... took risk on his health (could have been much worst) for some debt... not impressed. I had about 18k of osap myself... took about a yr and half to pay off, was living w parents though.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
manixc wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 1:02 pm
except that is rare, regardless of the generations.

anyway, good for the guy in the article, hope there is more like him.
On the contrary, in order to keep yourself ahead of the game you need less people like him.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
146 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 1:03 pm
LoL, dude got lucky and scored a $25 hour job through CNN.
$25/hr is about 50k a year, that's just an average job, not like he's pulling in 6 figures.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 1:11 pm
$25/hr is about 50k a year, that's just an average job, not like he's pulling in 6 figures.
Single guy; can be done, 50k is not brutal. He works at CNN and the story is from CNN, meh
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7190 posts
174 upvotes
BC
zilber wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 1:05 pm
On the contrary, in order to keep yourself ahead of the game you need less people like him.
that's true in the short run but when ***** hit the fan, the gov still have to bail out the irresponsible ppl.
insert witty comment
Oct 12, 2011
412 posts
33 upvotes
Well one of my teachers in HS didn't finish paying for their loan till they were 35... alot of the times people have soo much on their plates they literally don't have money to save or to pay for extra stuff.
"Your Day To Day Communications" Authorized Wholesaler Of Teksavvy :arrow: :arrow: Tune In For Promos - $5 Off Unlimited - $10 Off Shipping :arrowl: :arrowl: :!: :!: Free VOIP Homephone (Unlimited Canada Wide) With Unlimited Internet :!: :!: